Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M50 88 key after touch, M50 feature over M3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hendry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Korg M50 88 key after touch, M50 feature over M3 Reply with quote

Trying to head a friend in the right direction and it seems the 88 key M50 has no after touch as well as 61 key M50, is this correct? No after touch on the 88 key model as well? Seems like upgrading to the 88 key bed should give you after touch.

John^^

Last edited by John Hendry on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
FifthElement

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct - no aftertouch on either model, but it is available via MIDI so you just use an external keyboard for sounds you want to play with aftertouch.

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
John Hendry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: 88 key M50 Reply with quote

Thanks 5th,
Wow, wonder why they left it off the 88 key at over 2k retail. I really dislike marketing like this and would pay the difference myself. Seem's like going with the 61 key and using balance of cash to buy good Fatar controller is the ticket with M50 and 88 keys but more to drag around. Fatar 76 cannot transpose for some reason...always something to look out for.

Thanks for confirming that. Was hoping a typo left out. M50 sounds like a hot board...need to look at the manual for a friend but now he has me wanting one. 15lb is half the weight of original M1...take it backpacking;-)

John^^
FifthElement

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found aftertouch an issue as I am playing "classic" keys mostly (piano, EPs, Hammond type organ) so have never needed or used it.

It's really less needed on the 88 as you would choose this keybed to play pianos mostly. The trade off is that on the 88 you get Korg's superb RH3 action which is perfect for piano (for me anyway) but still very usable for everything else and a joy to play.

Don't dismiss the M50-88 for lack of aftertouch. It has everything else you need in abundance - and in a lightweight, easy to handle package for gigging.

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Has anyone tested after touch? This says sequencer data, not Reply with quote

midi in? That's not internal sequencer only....right? Midi in from controller should get it too....anyone tried it yet?
From SOS

"Korg rather sneakily suggest in the synth's MIDI implementation
chart that after touch (poly and channel) is transmitted and received; however, the small print admits that this only applies to sequencer data"

Sounds great but hesitated with M3 61 same as M5088 going back....and it has to have AT through midi after reading that.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: M50 vs M3 Reply with quote

I had a hard time at GC going from M3 to M50 as each had different sounds without KARMA which I like, but M50 was simple and liked that too...so this may swing it to the M50 for me from...shess forget who posted this but thanks:

"TR/M50 arpeggio editor (this obviously is one of most requested features for M3 although it is less likely that we will have one soon) - huh - I'm even OK to buy a hardware expansion for M3 just to have support of this! Actually if the funds for development are problem, I would suggest to add "M50 style arpeggio editor development paypal donation" in official Korg M3 page. I will donate some funds for sure to have this feature in next software upgrade."

Several M3 owners said this so have to say M50 rocks but the 61 key is a 15 lb module, not a real keyboard IMO as 1: it bends....real keyboards don't bend like that. 2: The action is dead, it has no "feel of rythem”" of its own and personally would not be happy playing it like M1 action I like somewhat...88 is really nice on the extreme opposite but no after touch so hot deal IMO is M50 61 with Fatar VMK-176 Plus or SL 990 Pro controller depending on action…know I like 2001 same as SL 990 I believe but never tried Grand Action on VMKs …..this comes out same price as M50 88 or less with SL 990 but have killer controller and can get weighted 76 key version all I need and fits sideways in back seat. That's my take on the M50 now as long as it receives after touch through midi in not just internal sequencer as possibly stated in SOS….GC opens in a few hours so back I guess....cool dudes at our GC....^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: