Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will the M50 work with Garageband?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PianoManKD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Will the M50 work with Garageband? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about purchasing an M50 on Monday but I want to make sure I can use it in Garageband on my mac. And also, if I can, are you able to use the sounds FROM the M50 in garageband in your song?

Thanks
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say if Garage band allows VSTi's for certain as I've never used the application (Cubase SX3 user here).
Checkout the Garage band website, read for "VSTi". If it does VST, the M50 interface will CERTAINLY work within Garage band. The M50 interface WILL work with any DAW that can use VST.

Of course, Garage band can handle the audio feed from the M50,,, assuming it can use audio from any instrument (which, I'm positive it does/can).

Mike
PianoManKD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to all this tech talk, I never really got serious about keyboards until I just bought the M50. What does all this VST VSTi stuff mean?

If you could elaborate that would be sweet.

Thanks man~!
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSTs & VSTi's have NOTHING really to do the specifically the M50. It's to do with Plugs and instrument types than can be used with your DAW application.
A VSTi is basically a "Vertual instrument", could be a drum machine, key board, guitar, piano, whatever..

Like I said, Garage Band I've never used nor have seen used in a studio, so on that specific application, I don't know anything about it except it's an entry level DAW..

I think the M50 came with Cubase LT (again, I used SX3, obviously I wouldn't even load whatever DAW came with the M50), check it out if you haven't already learned garage band..

Nice think about Cubase, is you can learn one level of the program, and if you decide to do an upgrade, it works EXACTLY the same, except with more/better options available.. Learning Cubase, allows instantly to be able to use Nuendo,, they run the same.. Even Pro-tools acts a lot like the Stieny DAWs. I've never owned a bigger Pro-tools rig, but yet I can sit down at a Protools and run it almost as effectively as a Cubase/Nuendo rig.

Do a Google search on VSTi/VST, you will learn fast what it is..

One serious thing to consider, if Garage Band doesn't use/see VST, FORGET it and use something else.. But the odd are, it is VST capatible..

SOulds like you have a LOT of research to do... Have fun on this adventure! I hope you find the enjoyment I did when I started using Cubase 3.7,,, "back in the day"..(lol)

I hope this helps!

Mike
PianoManKD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my board arrives on Monday. I really hope it comes with Cubase. That would be cool to learn how to use that!

One can only hope!

Thanks very much for your help!
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a GREAT time this weekend to get the basics of synths (if you don't already have a detailed understanding of envolopes & LOFs, Timbras & related).

DO a google search of "Synth theory".. It starts there... Spending 10 hours on this, will save you 100 hours on the M50.. IMO.. (Trust me, I learned the hard way!).

Synth theories are in some ways more involved that recording theories... If your trying to learn both at the same time,,, well,,, good luck! But with hard work, I'm positive it can be done.

And I'm just a bass player, playing keys secondary to my bass.. Compared to most of the guys on this Forum, I don't know crap!! Well, in fairness, I kinda know the manuals..

Have fun! This is a learning adventure that really is amazing (assuming you already know how to play piano/keys)..

Mike
PianoManKD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've been a piano player since the age of 7 and I just graduated with a degree in music.

I just hope it works with Garageband. That would be a bummer.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i'm aware, garage band only uses Audio Units. Much like apple's Logic.

Cubase LE, or whatever you can get cheap or free with the board, would be the way to go. also there is no easy way to get MIDI OUT of garage band - people have made workaround plugins which work more or less like the M50 editor would but without the editor bit.

you could use it with garage band in much the same way as you would use a guitar with garageband - just plug in the outputs of your M50 into your audio interface/mac inputs and play. record your performance live.

I use cubase but this is still how i recorded my first 10 songs or so a few years ago - just recording the audio. I still play all my stuff live recording audio, just record the MIDI in case I want to edit anything afterwards (so you can edit the midi, send it back out to the keyboard and re-record itself).

not dissing garageband, but it is a VERY entry-level application and you could do more with cubase LE, or almost any other software package. the only thing you can do in garrageband is arrange MIDI for AU (AudioUnit) plugins, and record audio/drop in loops.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
PianoManKD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know is Cubase comes with the board?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know I was just going by what the guy said further up regarding cubase LE coming with it - I don't have the M50.
But i expect it doesn't because the M50 is a workstation which is kind of designed to work with its own sequencer away from DAW software.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: I could be wrong on Cubase LE coming with it. Check out the Stienberg website, they may give it away to turn people onto Cubase, I could have swore I saw it legally free somewhere on-line..

Lots of stuff I have bought over the last several years came with Cubase LE. If you don't have an interface yet, buy one that comes with CubaseLE. Less than $200 you can get a decent 24bit 2 channel/Midi USB interface and CubaseLE.

Keep in mind, the only real concern pertaining to the DAW you decide to use is to make certain it uses VST.. Then your good to go..

And, there is still a work around even if it can't use VSTi's. Use the stand alone version of the software controller of the M50, save the sound, then run the sequence and record the audio, it will basically be the same thing, just not as smooth/intergrated.

I hope this helps.

Mike
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I just read somewhere that the M50 editor does come in audio unit format, so it should work with garrageband, and logic
PianoManKD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does audio unit format mean?
StudioMan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, good question.. What is "audio unit format"? I never heard that term..

If I remember correctly, only 2 versions of the M50 editor is available. The stand-alone & the VSTi plug-in.. SO unless it works on one of these two editors, it WON'T be working how you expect..

I have a feeling "audio unit format" has something to do with lower end "so-called" DAWs?

Mike
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Korg.co.uk:

Quote:
ditor and plug-in editor software included
The M50 Editor is a stand-alone software application that lets you perform even more detailed editing from your PC. By using the M50 Plug-In Editor, you can use the M50 as a plug-in instrument from within any host application, expanding your DAW production system without putting any resource drain on your computer (VST, Audio Units, and RTAS formats are supported).

VST is a technology developed by Steinberg and used by many because it is so widely available on both PC and Mac, but it is not the only plugin format. Apple's software such as garageband and Logic do not support VST plugins at all but instead support Audio Unit plugins which is a standard only on the mac, developed by apple (but the SDK is still freely available to developers, just like VST).
as far as i am aware, RTAS is used exclusively for pro-tools or something like that...

some people have made audio unit plugins that allow you to open a VST plugin within them but I haven't tried any, apparently they're unreliable... anyway that is straying from the point.
M50 Plugin editor does come in AU format and so should load in garrageband, and logic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: