Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

potentially new M50 user.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runeharpun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: potentially new M50 user. Reply with quote

Hi.
I'm considering the M50 which looks like a great upgrade to my Roland XV2020/XP50 setup. Since there's no stores around with the unit in stock, I cannot try it out myself. So here are some q's:

1) How easy can you change performances in the middle of a song. WIth my XP50 I can switch to a new perfmance with one click. Is that doable on the M50?

2) Are the distorted guitars of usable quality? I'd like to put some power chords on the keys while our guitarist does his solos.

3) Are there any good B3 and Rhoads on the board?

4) I read that some people say the keys feel a little plastic. Do you feel that is a problem?

5) As an overall, would you recommend this keyboard to someone playing all kind of rock/pop covers, or would the M3 be a better choice (both performance and price counts).

Thanks,
Rune
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune,

GREAT to see Cubase Forum Contributors here on the Korg site. Also check out Karma forum (Stephen owns the site and is VERY helpful!) http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=216

The M3 is a REALLY nice unit, that I almost went for, but settled for the M50 which I'm happy with. Really, I play bass in this cover band (Guitar is my main instrument), keys are just a "extra" instrument that I now play, or our singer plays to fill-in the leads.

I personally think the guitars on the M50 sound better than decent. I've made up a few combis that are sounding promising live so far,, but still not totally happy with it within the mix as recorded. Actually Im thinking of adding some organ in with a crunch guitar as a test, that is today's project for me..

I generally keep it to three channels/tracks for live play, and I split the keyboard. I only have two hands, so 3 registers work fine for me even in the most demanding of copy material we do. Over the next few weeks (Well, at practice we are already using it) I'm adding an EMu midi keyboard for the singer to play the lead fills (Guitar/possibly organ mix). Like any Midi rig you can add another midi keyboard, then just reach for another set of keys, routing to a specific channel, or 2 or 3 or however many you need. Something you might consider..
You can switch combis & programs really fast, but I've never tried it in the middle of a song (I got to much *crap* going on live to worry about let alone worrying about making custom Combis as I'm gigging). You can save over 500 combi without having to save off the M50. Best to set it up, name the combi or song (depending how you set it up, I play really live, no sequecing, so I generally us a Combi (Combination of Programs). We will be experimenting with sequencing soon,,, but I'm parinoid...lol

I like the M50 because of it's simplicity.. But don't take this the wrong way, there is NOTHING you can't do with the M50. EVERY detail of every synth element can be munipulated far and beyond "back in the day". All graphical, all touch screen... It's AWESOME!!!

If you looking for something that REALLY is nice sounding on so many levels, and ease of basic use and ease of detailed sample manipulation, and you don't need a vocator and you don't need to do your own sampling, then the M50 is CERTAINLY EXACTLY WHAT you looking for. Nothing even remotely close in this price range. It's all I needed, AWESOME sounds with ease of use!!!

There are a BUNCH of helpful synth guys on here, they have helped me a lot... Best of luck to you & see you hopefully here and I'm sure on the Cubase forum!

Lates,

Mike
runeharpun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Just completed my M50 order. Cannot wait to get my hands on it Smile

R
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know your more concerned for your live work, but if you do jump onto the M50 bandwagon, MAKE CERTAIN you check out the Karma deal for the M50! Interlink this with your Cubase Rig,,, you'll have a nice tool at hand.
The way the M50 interfaces with Cubase is AWESOME.. Add Karma for the detailed studio work!

Keep in touch! Let us know once you have it. Be sure to Give Stephen your serial # for his tracking deal he has setup for us... The more stats the better!
His board is also a good one..

Mike
a.schemkes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the M-50 out this vryday, and what a Machine!!! I'm also working on Cubase right now, and if Karma can also sync and be intregated into cubase, well then you have a winning combination that is hard to beat.

I think I can wait just another week, but then I have have it....
runeharpun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my M50 for 3 days, and I'm very happy with it. I work mostly in Cubase using softsynths, and the M50 is sounding very good compared to my NI and IK Multimedia collection. I use the M50 for my live work, but I woudn't be surprised if some M50 sounds are used in my future recorded songs.

R
a.schemkes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played for almost an hour on it in the store, but I wasn't convinced about it...

Right next to it, there was a M3, so after playing for an hour on the M50 I switched to the M3. It just "feels" better and looks better. I'm not quit sure about sounds, but somehow (but it could be imagination) the M3 sounded a little bit better. Rolling Eyes

Ok, you say it costs about twice the money, yes you're right ,so I can't decide yet... Eh?
FifthElement

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.schemkes wrote:
I played for almost an hour on it in the store, but I wasn't convinced about it...

Right next to it, there was a M3, so after playing for an hour on the M50 I switched to the M3. It just "feels" better and looks better. I'm not quit sure about sounds, but somehow (but it could be imagination) the M3 sounded a little bit better. Rolling Eyes

Ok, you say it costs about twice the money, yes you're right ,so I can't decide yet... Eh?

You are really comparing 2 different keyboard solutions with the same soundset.

The M50 is a performance keyboard (with a sequencer) and the M3 is a full workstation with sampling, karma, expandability etc. I would base your decision on what you want from the keyboard and the sound quality rather than the look and feel.

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
StudioMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the weight doesn't matter, and the $ doesn't matter,, get the M3.. Sounds, well, if in fact the M3 does sound better, it should.
But for live work for me M50 is kinda better. Easier to setup & carry. If something does happen to it, I'm only out $1k... The M50 sounds GREAT live! I'm telling you, it really does... The M3 will sound just as GREAT, or GREATER!!!

If Weight and $ matters,,, well,,, you'll figure it out..

If $ doesn't matter, I'd just go for the Oasis! Everything else next to it is junk!

Mike
Cutter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have heard and tend to agree with is the M3 is complicated because it does so much. The M50 is a little more easy, now that issue will depend if you play and only want to learn as much as you have to get by or if you are one of those people that can spend countless hours learning everything.

For people that know their tech the M3 does a lot more. Play both 61 key side by side and it's close, Play the M50 88 version and I think the M50 has a good piano feel.

But then the M50-88 comparison becomes more against Yamaha such as the 90ES. The price is close on these and the Yamaha has less sounds but much better pianos.

past KorgDW8000/ KorgX2 / Korg N-88/Alesis Q6/ Alesis Q8
leonh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had yamaha Qy 700 and I made 8 songs in a months ,then i bought Motif which was better but I made one song in a month because I had to spend time getting to know it.If you want to do songs easy way get m50 or if you are into tech side get M3 but then why not Oasys which is better then M3 ect ect.Personaly I got M50 because is easy to work on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: