Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Midi keyboard to get?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jugo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: What Midi keyboard to get? Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest what midi keyboard would be good to buy for using with my m50 ? I was thinking of something like M-audio Axiom 61, or M audio Oxygen.. but heard that M-audio products aren't that good.. so then In the same price range I saw that there is also E-mu X-board witch looks quite good

so any suggestions? maybe there are other midi keyboards that I haven't heard of in the same price range? x)
StudioMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the E-mu 49,,, and I LOVE the heavy spring action old-school synth style keybed.. All about preference..
And I LOVE the octave key on the board..

But, if I was after a wieghted action,,, take a GOOD look at http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Keystation-Pro-88-MIDI-Controller?sku=709203

I know a couple people using this rig behind what-ever (this is the keybed I would have if I needed a decent piano action bed).
Some say the action sucks,,,, but in my opinion, it's VERY close,,,, the BEST for under $1k. Road worthy too (IMO)..

For $400, its the cat's meow!

It all depends on what you want. If you want the old school, heavy spring action, DEFINATELY look close that the E-mu controller.. Forget the E-mu if your after a piano feel! But as I said, I LOVE that tight action that nearly throws your hand in the air from the heavy spring action!! Wink!

Mike
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Audio definitely doesn't suck. For controllers, they're definitely one of the best, if not the best, companies out there. Their audio interfaces aren't as good, but they're really not a bad company.

I used to own both a KeyStation 88es (semi-weighted) and an Axiom 61. I loved both, and found the action on the Axiom to be slightly better for my tastes.

Basically, go to a music store and try out a few, see what you like the action on, and decide whether you really need extra controls or not.
Jugo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx for the answers! Well I had only the chance to check out the axiom, and the key action seemed a bit weird to me, but still it would suit me.. But I really think that the emu xboard would be better.. anyway, I want to use a midi keyboard for live performances with the m50, would the emu xboard or the m-audio axiom be good for gigging ?
StudioMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the best advice is from Kanthos, "
Basically, go to a music store and try out a few, see what you like the action on,".

I just know this, if I didn't have my E-mu, I'd LOVE to have that Maudio 88. For a little more $, the thing is awesome (IMO).. THIS IS THE unit that made me decide to go with the M50-61, the action is closer to an upright Studio size piano (IMO) that the M50-88..

In my cover act, me and the female vocalist both play keys (well, she can REALLY play piano, I just pretend to:-)), if it wasn't so much work, I'd setup that Maudio 88 by her, then she could just reach down and have a full keyboard right there (again, to much setup work for now).

Just take a look at that M-audio 88 I linked.. I'm telling you, for the $,,, there is NOTHING even close (like there is nothing even close to the M50 in it's class).

I hope this helps!

Mike
FifthElement

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
I'd say the best advice is from Kanthos, "
Basically, go to a music store and try out a few, see what you like the action on,".

I just know this, if I didn't have my E-mu, I'd LOVE to have that Maudio 88. For a little more $, the thing is awesome (IMO).. THIS IS THE unit that made me decide to go with the M50-61, the action is closer to an upright Studio size piano (IMO) that the M50-88..

In my cover act, me and the female vocalist both play keys (well, she can REALLY play piano, I just pretend to:-)), if it wasn't so much work, I'd setup that Maudio 88 by her, then she could just reach down and have a full keyboard right there (again, to much setup work for now).

Just take a look at that M-audio 88 I linked.. I'm telling you, for the $,,, there is NOTHING even close (like there is nothing even close to the M50 in it's class).

I hope this helps!

Mike

If she can play piano, she won't thank you for sticking the M-Audio 88 under her fingers! Wink

I found it to be the worst 88 action I've ever tried. It's spongy, no bounce, slow response and the keys are noisier than most synths! The quality feels good enough to last about a day - it's cheap for a reason. No comparison to the RH3 action on the M50-88 (or SP250) IMO.

Each to their own I guess, but I'd strongly advise anyone looking at weighted controllers to try the M-Audio before buying - and then try the Studiologic/Fatar range of controllers.

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
Jugo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well right now I dont need a 88 hammer action keyboard.. An 61 key would probably suit me well.. Maybe later i will buy an 88 key.. Now, witch one would be better for gigging ? The axiom or the emu xboard (or maybe something else in the same price range)?Cause I want it to be able to last on the road
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FifthElement wrote:
If she can play piano, she won't thank you for sticking the M-Audio 88 under her fingers! Wink

She might thank him, given that bringing your own grand to gigs isn't really possible for most bands Wink Keyboard preference is just that: preference. Which is why anyone who comes to a website asking, "Which feels better, X or Y?" should always be told to go to the store and try them both out.

StudioMan, what makes it too much setup work? Assuming she's already got some kind of keyboard, all she'd have to do is connect the M-Audio to what she already has via a MIDI cable, and you'd probably also have to buy an AC adapter separately to power the M-Audio. Setup complete.

Jugo: Which keyboard is better for gigging is also a very subjective question. I haven't yet seen a controller that's built out of more than plastic (to be fair, I haven't played a weighted, 88-key controller, which might need more sturdy construction to support the weight of the keys), but that doesn't matter to you anyway. Neither is probably significantly more sturdy than the other, and the weight is probably comparable.

Really, it comes down to features: do you want the patch selection buttons and volume knobs on the E-Mu or the pads and faders and generic assignable knobs of the Axiom? (Maybe the knobs on the E-mu are assignable, I don't know). Really, you can figure out yourself which features you prefer by reading the manuals; you can't get a really good opinion on which is better unless you know someone who's played both and understands your needs. As I said before, action is something you should judge yourself too, so hit your local music store.

I'm curious to know why you think the E-mu is better, especially since you haven't tried it.
Jugo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thnx everyone.. I guess the best way is just to go and try them out by myself.. x) anyway, another question midi keyboards related, is there any way to connect 2 midi keyboards to the m50 ? (as if 1 wasn't enough) .. maybe connecting the 2 midi keyboards together ? hmm.. any ideas if this is at all possible ?
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If you have one keyboard that combines MIDI messages generated on that keyboard (i.e. by playing it) with MIDI messages received on its MIDI input, then you can put this keyboard between the other two, so you'd go A OUT -> B IN, B OUT -> C IN.

Generally, the more gear you stack together, the more delay you add, so pro keyboard racks will use a MIDI patch bay and/or MIDI merger to combine multiple inputs (presumably on different channels) into one output.

I'm curious to know why you'd need 3 keyboards, or are you planning on hooking up other keyboards to get more sound?
StudioMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanthos wrote:

StudioMan, what makes it too much setup work? Assuming she's already got some kind of keyboard, all she'd have to do is connect the M-Audio to what she already has via a MIDI cable, and you'd probably also have to buy an AC adapter separately to power the M-Audio. Setup complete.

I'm curious to know why you think the E-mu is better, especially since you haven't tried it.

Currently, she just walks up to the M50, puts her Beta87A in the stand that's on the key's stand, and it's a done deal.
We are just a local cover act, we do ALL our own setup (well, we roll with a sound man & a light guy), I have PLENTY to setup, drag in, test, then get my bass rig & now keys going. For now, the single keyboard (the M50) is fine live.. For practice (& in the studio just so it looks cool), I keep my E-mu on the top level of my multi tier stand.
To be totally honest, I'm just to lazy to drag yet another 50lb piece if gear! Our PA is to big (IMO), we still have a few cans within our light show for larger venues, our trailer is to small, it's just a pain in the A_s the more gear I have to worry about.

I didn't mean the E-mu was better, I only said I personally liked the heavy spring action, like back-in-the-day synths had. I know it's a lower end controller. When I bought it, it was setup at GC, I was walking by, touched a key, liked the sound it was playing, stayed to look at the softsynth it was controlling, ended up buying the E-mu board with I think a $50 rebate.
Until my E-mu, all I had in the studio for a controller was a PSR keyboard/borderline kid's toy.

I want to play that M-audio for real once. I only played maybe 50 notes each time I saw one. I want to see if it's really that bad..

ALL this is IMO...

Mike
Jugo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanthos wrote:
Yes. If you have one keyboard that combines MIDI messages generated on that keyboard (i.e. by playing it) with MIDI messages received on its MIDI input, then you can put this keyboard between the other two, so you'd go A OUT -> B IN, B OUT -> C IN.

Generally, the more gear you stack together, the more delay you add, so pro keyboard racks will use a MIDI patch bay and/or MIDI merger to combine multiple inputs (presumably on different channels) into one output.

I'm curious to know why you'd need 3 keyboards, or are you planning on hooking up other keyboards to get more sound?

Well it would be much more comfortable since I', playing music that I have to change sounds very quickly and there is not that much time for pressing the touchscreen so i could just connect a midi keyboard and have more sounds while not having to change a thing.. I'll have to look into the midi mergers thnx
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a footswitch set to increment the current program or combi (whichever mode you're in). Put your sounds in the order you'll need them for in your gig, hit the footswitch once, and you're onto the next set of sounds, hands-free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: