Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O9 OSAM Preview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwmccredie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: O9 OSAM Preview Reply with quote

So my 13th song will come at the beginning. I've decided to use my OSAM contract to force myself to learn more about equipment, processes, editing, sound quality ect. As you can see by my attached song, most of my stuff ends up like this because I move from one thing to another without really stopping to try to master and clean up anything.

So that's my plan. I need to get a software program. i need to learn to use my pad kontrol or get another controller because I cant seem to get mine to work. Right now all my stuff comes straight of the TR88 into "audacity", the shareware mixing program. (i know, thats sad). But mabye this year will bring some changes. See you next month (tommorow)

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7380621&q=hi
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, hold on there. I do everything in audacity also. I love it. I have other software but haven't learned to use it yet. Actually, I should say I mix in audacity and then master in soundforge. However, perfect time for you to venture out if that is your goal. And there's nothing at all wrong with this song other than it sounds a bit unfinished. The pieces are all there and are very interesting. They just sound a bit separate. I bet if you pumped it thru ozone 3 or 4 using soundforge or an equivalent you would get a more cohesive sound. So exactly what other equipment and/or software are you ventuig into for this go around?
album cover
pwmccredie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into soundforge then...I know nothing about recording and mixing. I know that I think I do better with audio than I would with MIDI. I have a MIDI controller...a PadKontrol, but I cant get it to work. All I really want with that is to be able to lay down my beats with that. Maybe I should give that up and get another pad.

Also, maybe I should learn how to use audacity and maybe I would like it.

I would like to get a loop based sequencing/recording software package though. Any suggestions from anyone would be helpful. Pro Tools? Reason?
Cubase? Like I said, im into loops and beats, would like to venture into samples also.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you don't already have audacity it is free and easy. Just open it up then click on import audio and you can bring you wav files in and listen to them mixed. this gives me the flexibility to master certain musical groups, such as the strings or the drums, in soundforge where I might add additional compression or eq or whatever it needs, then load it into audacity, this way i've bypassed the somewhat limited effects that i can do on a given song in the m3 and process my vocals especially, i always do a lot of fudging around on the vocal track, doing double tracks etc then bring it into audacity for a final mixdown which I always name as 'totaldry' then i take 'totaldry' and load it into soundforge and fire up my ozone 4 and run the whole combined wav thru one of the many mastering presets and decide on one i like, tweak a little there and make my final mastered wav and also mp3 for the internet. it's an easy method which does take some practice to get it really great but it's not that hard to do and there is quite a bit of flexibility. also, i might add that while in audacity you have the option to highlight tracks or portions and apply effects as well, for instance lowering the volume for just a section, or adding a phaser to a synth lick in the chorus etc. you can undo also if you dont like it.
album cover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: