Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Poly 800 battery leakage problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookish vagrant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Korg Poly 800 battery leakage problem Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just purchased a reverse key Poly 800 and found out that the C cells are actively leaking.
My questions:
How do I save the sounds and clean this all out?
Will using a wall wart keep the memory safe while I open it up to clean it? How would you recommend cleaning battery leakage off the inside?
Thanks very much for the help.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the p800 doesn't rely on the c-type batteries inserted underneath to keep the memory intact. that is handled by a battery on-board much like that which keeps the clock running on older computers (newer ones use watch batteries).
unless I misunderstood you and you are talking about the battery onboard?

when I got my 800 it had batteries left in the back, which were leaking. luckily no damage to the synth but it was pretty disguisting to remove. but it still kept the sound afterwards. the batteries to go in the back are just for playing on stage (using the guitar-strap clips) like a keytar. albeit a very heavy one....
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
bookish vagrant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: re: Korg Poly 800 battery leakage Reply with quote

Oh thanks very much. I was told exactly the opposite, that the C cells kept the patches stored. I had thought, "well, I'll power it up with a wall wart and pull the C cells if that works, then clean it."
So much better. That I can do. Thanks again.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Korg Poly 800 battery leakage Reply with quote

bookish vagrant wrote:
Oh thanks very much. I was told exactly the opposite, that the C cells kept the patches stored. I had thought, "well, I'll power it up with a wall wart and pull the C cells if that works, then clean it."
So much better. That I can do. Thanks again.

unless your internal battery has run out and needs replacing... but then I suppose having it turned off with batteries in should still kill the memory anyway..

you can back up and reload your sounds using a tape player or even better hard disk recorder or other kind of audio recording device plugged into the tape socket in the back. It is a bit like loading/saving programs for a ZX Spectrum or other vintage 80s computer.

can't remember exactly what the socket was called, as I sold my 800, But i want to get it back as soon as I can afford it... absolutely amazing synth, you can make some great bass sounds on this.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
bookish vagrant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more good info. Thanks. I do love that thing. How hwave people cleaned battery juice off of the insides? Any tips, secrets, things to avoid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: