Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Patches to Other Korg synth via midi/usb?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lil_rufz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Patches to Other Korg synth via midi/usb? Reply with quote

Hi there,

So I have hundreds and hundreds of sound patches on my computer (saved as a .prg file), I own and love my microKorg and I recently downloaded the Korg patch editor. My friend has a Korg synth (not sure what model but it is black and is a full keyboard, maybe T-series?).

Would it be possible at all to use a midi-USB cable to transfer my customized patches into this other Korg synth?

Thank You!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is most likely not possible, for one main reason:
Compatibility.

The MicroKorg shares the same engine as the MS2000, but no other synth has that engine. each engine will have different parameters and different ways of making a sound.
For example if you are talking about the TR, or X50, or even the M1, they are even a different kind of synth - they're sample players - they play short bits of recordings of other instruments (whether thats a guitar or a MicroKorg or even a sparrow in a tree, it doesn't matter).
furthermore, the different engines don't just have different ways of making sound but have different parameters and different fundamental building blocks.

for example, the TRiton series is based on the HI-Synthesis engine, which has no 'virtual patch' like on the micro, but has AMS which lets you select different parameters for different destinations and set amounts for each... HI-Synthesis is also based on playing samples, but only has one oscillator (it doubles up voices to make two at once, which gives you independent filters for each voice).

I'm sure you're aware that this is then much different to the MicroKorg.

A patch merely contains a list of settings which the synth reads in to make its sound - which wave to use, filter cutoff, etc... but they're all just numbers, no other synth can make sense of them.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: