Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to know how to make money out of your M50 Skills?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NumanFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: What to know how to make money out of your M50 Skills? Reply with quote

This is not meant as flippant is it sounds but

If.. you want to know how to make money out of your M50 Skills?

Then write a decent manual.

I work in IT so have spent around 20 years dipping in and out of very technical manuals... some reading cover to cover... even written a short one or two.

The M50 manual, well really the two of them, are without doubt the worst manuals in the history of crap manuals.

I could go on to list my gripes but will stick to the obvious one... almost ever feature in the manual you get requires you to reference the 500 page monster manual that is only a PDF.

Its a really great keyboard with fantastic sounds but severely limited by this nonsense attempt at documentation.

Is this standard for Korg?

Anyone want to take on the task of writing a Guide to core functions?

Alan
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What to know how to make money out of your M50 Skills? Reply with quote

NumanFan wrote:
almost ever feature in the manual you get requires you to reference the 500 page monster manual that is only a PDF.

Its a really great keyboard with fantastic sounds but severely limited by this nonsense attempt at documentation.

Is this standard for Korg?

This topic was discussed in depth here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41203
NumanFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What to know how to make money out of your M50 Skills? Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:

This topic was discussed in depth here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41203

Actually it was not.... that topic was should the manual be printed or included on a CD. A few folk grumbled about the layout of the manual.

My point is the manual is RUBBISH. The worst technical manual I have come across in 20 years.

Korg needs to employ a musician to write the book backed up by a technical author...

The manual should be written in terms of what you are trying to achieve, not a 500 page list of things to tweek.

Alan
PianoManKD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with you. It's one of the most confusing manuals I've ever read. If I have a question I go to that topic in the manual, read what to do, and still not have a clue as to what to do.

The 4 knobs on the top left of the board I haven't got a clue what they are even for. There's buttons on that side I don't even know what they mean or when I would ever need them.

I would love it if there was a chart or a quick manual to every button on the keyboard so us newbies can have a god damn clue as to what to do.

I STILL don't know how to create a favorite bank with sounds right next to each other.
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManKD wrote:
I'm in agreement with you. It's one of the most confusing manuals I've ever read. If I have a question I go to that topic in the manual, read what to do, and still not have a clue as to what to do.

The 4 knobs on the top left of the board I haven't got a clue what they are even for. There's buttons on that side I don't even know what they mean or when I would ever need them.

I would love it if there was a chart or a quick manual to every button on the keyboard so us newbies can have a god damn clue as to what to do.

I STILL don't know how to create a favorite bank with sounds right next to each other.

have you ever even touched your M50? Do you think if you press something without reading about it first it might explode or something?

Just start fiddling with it all and you'll come to know what everything does! It's not that difficult.

As per the Manual, Yeah the manual might suck, but start diving into it(the board itself, not the manual) and you can teach yourself almost everything there is to know and without getting a migraine.

Not the Favorite banks thing again!? I have to exit this thread before I say something I may regret Shocked

**A few hours have passed and I got some sleep since I typed the above reply. I come across as being an @$$hole, sorry about that. I was awake for 28 hours sequencing a ton of stuff in preparation for an upcoming wedding and it's crunch time. I had to switch everything over from the TR/Karma to the M50/Extreme combo so I blame that on my crabiness Laughing

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
FifthElement

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManKD wrote:

C'mon, man - just look at the page in the manual (page 9) with the pretty picture of the front panel. Every button and slider is labeled with a description and a further page reference - how hard can that be!

The favorite question has been answered a dozen times - use search!

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been working on detailed videos of the M50. I posted a basic M50, into tutorial on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDSADYTWe8

I'd put more time into it, but I'm just not sure if it's going to be worth the time.

How many people are willing to pay for 6 or 8 hours worth of video on detailed directions of the M50?
What would be a fair price for all the disks? Or per unit/specific disk?
What would stop the first person who buys the videos from posting them on you tube, then the hundreds of hours invested would have generated maybe $30 to $60 for the entire sets of videos (I have one on sequencer, another on Program (tweaking the sounds), another on Combi, another on Midi hook ups and usage and using within a DAW, another on filing and using the SD card and basic setups in the studio and live..

Let me know what you guys think? Think I could make a little $ to at least cover my efforts (not even including the time I have invested into learning the M50)?

If I had a commitment on a several video courses, I'd probably go ahead and start the editing, as the audio & video is complete. I shot it as I learned it, page by page...

Mike
leonh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes manual is a bit chalenging but that is because you can do almost everything whith M50 ,the point is you dont have to know everything to do music whith it .I would guess that Oasys got even biger manual Rolling Eyes
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Yes manual is a bit chalenging but that is because you can do almost everything whith M50 ,the point is you dont have to know everything to do music whith it .I would guess that Oasys got even biger manual Rolling Eyes

I can't speak for the Oasys but the Extremes documentation is insane. Between that and the Karma documentation I have, there are papers everywhere in here Laughing

Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a good part of the M50 manual (to make sure it had the features I wanted when I was buying a workstation; I ended up with the TR because of a great sale), and I didn't find it hard at all, despite the fact that the TR was the first workstation I used since the Roland XP-50 around 1998.

The parameter guide is *not* supposed to be a standard manual. It's supposed to be complete and informative and its purpose is to be a reference for things when you need it. Trying to learn the M50 from the parameter guide is like trying to learn English from the dictionary.

Yes, the manual (and, may I suggest, *any* keyboard manual) will seem confusing if you don't know the basics and are too afraid/don't have time/too lazy to figure them out, but don't blame Korg for that. Not knowing what knobs do simply means you didn't actually look; it's not like that information is missing from the manual.

The issue of a favourites bank is something totally different. Korg gives you the tools to organize your presets however you like, and explains media mode pretty well. Does it explain how to set up a favourites bank? Well, yes and no. It does explain how to load and save programs and how to move a program to a new location (at least, to copy a program), which is all you need to know *about the M50* to make a favourites bank. It doesn't hold your hand and say, "To make a favourites bank, find a block of empty locations and copy your favourite programs there" because that's not really relevant to the M50.

Perhaps there is a need for a different kind of manual. One that stays away from a specific brand and tells you in general terms how to do things like organize your presets for a live gig, make a favourites bank, make effective use of your sequencer and sampler, get a MIDI setup with multiple pieces of gear, and other such topics. Korg probably doesn't print this because such knowledge generally transfers from keyboard to keyboard (i.e. I was able to evaluate how the M50 could be set up with my Nord Stage from the manual alone, and I believe this was because I knew what I was looking for), and it would make the manual a lot thicker if they had a "how to think like a keyboard player" section.

Really though, I believe there's a time and a place for handholding, but that part of being a keyboard player is having the drive to dig in and figure it out. Stick with it long enough, use multiple pieces of gear, and you're going to run into *something* that's not in the manual or isn't online. If all you want to do is play a keyboard using stock presets, then you don't need to know much; if you want to take it a lot farther, be prepared and willing to learn.
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanthos wrote:

Really though, I believe there's a time and a place for handholding, but that part of being a keyboard player is having the drive to dig in and figure it out. Stick with it long enough, use multiple pieces of gear, and you're going to run into *something* that's not in the manual or isn't online. If all you want to do is play a keyboard using stock presets, then you don't need to know much; if you want to take it a lot farther, be prepared and willing to learn.

Hoorah!! You said it in a much more calm tone than I Laughing

There's nothing better than hands/fingers on experience and Korgs are VERY simple compared to some, atleast what I've seen demoing other makes. I've only owned Korgs since '88 and that's because I can sit down at one and almost instantly dive into it and start making music. Theres better for certain uses but I spend my $$ on what I am comfortable with and will get me in the game instantly. Now sitting at the M3 was a tad daunting but the pressure from 15 guys standing around me waiting for me to get off the bench didn't help one bit. I imagine the Oasys is a handful but other than that, all the Korgs to me are just so user friendly.

I went years without a workstation. The TR was the first of the newer generation boards for me 2 years ago and I didn't crack the manual for almost a year, it was sooooooo intuitive. I couldn't tell ya what I even needed the manual for but I do remember looking for it at one point.

For the 1st time Korg owner or workstation owner for that matter, I guess it could be daunting. But hands on is where the lessons are learned. Without trial and error, you won't dig in and use a fraction of any keyboards capabilities.

Get in there, hit switches, push buttons, see how they manipulate the sounds and Take Notes!! I have tons of personal notes, paper and pen is always on hand when I sit down at my kb stands Cool

Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenomorph wrote:
Get in there, hit switches, push buttons, see how they manipulate the sounds and Take Notes!! I have tons of personal notes, paper and pen is always on hand when I sit down at my kb stands Cool

Excellent advice--the keyboard won't blow up! Have fun... Cool
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanthos wrote:
Yes, the manual (and, may I suggest, *any* keyboard manual) will seem confusing if you don't know the basics and are too afraid/don't have time/too lazy to figure them out, but don't blame Korg for that. Not knowing what knobs do simply means you didn't actually look; it's not like that information is missing from the manual.

The issue of a favourites bank is something totally different. Korg gives you the tools to organize your presets however you like, and explains media mode pretty well. Does it explain how to set up a favourites bank? Well, yes and no. It does explain how to load and save programs and how to move a program to a new location (at least, to copy a program), which is all you need to know *about the M50* to make a favourites bank. It doesn't hold your hand and say, "To make a favourites bank, find a block of empty locations and copy your favourite programs there" because that's not really relevant to the M50

Thank you! I believe you have said here what a lot of us haven't been able to phrase in a polite way....

and this:
Xenomorph wrote:

Its the same as what I'm constantly having to tell people about any kind of technology. its NOT going to go horribly wrong if you play around a little. The only way you find your way around technology is by experimenting a little. if you're not sure what something does - try it!
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
NumanFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
Well, I've been working on detailed videos of the M50. I posted a basic M50, into tutorial on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDSADYTWe8

I'd put more time into it, but I'm just not sure if it's going to be worth the time.

How many people are willing to pay for 6 or 8 hours worth of video on detailed directions of the M50?
What would be a fair price for all the disks? Or per unit/specific disk?
What would stop the first person who buys the videos from posting them on you tube, then the hundreds of hours invested would have generated maybe $30 to $60 for the entire sets of videos (I have one on sequencer, another on Program (tweaking the sounds), another on Combi, another on Midi hook ups and usage and using within a DAW, another on filing and using the SD card and basic setups in the studio and live..

Let me know what you guys think? Think I could make a little $ to at least cover my efforts (not even including the time I have invested into learning the M50)?

If I had a commitment on a several video courses, I'd probably go ahead and start the editing, as the audio & video is complete. I shot it as I learned it, page by page...

Mike

I would definitely pay for a sensible video/DVD guide to using the M50.

As to how to avoid utube pirating then sorry no answer to that.

Alan
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is enough interest i would take on a project to create M3/M50 DVD Manual.
There is not even need of worying about pyracy. Group of 20-30 people with interest
pay the full price of it, which wont be a lot for 30 people and thats it.
Done many projects like that in the past. After releasing i have no right to sell it
anymore since it has been paid in full...thats it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: