Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Trade - Sunrise(1st Movement) - March 09

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: X-Trade - Sunrise(1st Movement) - March 09 Reply with quote

This is not finished in that there are a few touches I would like to add here and there (some kind of backwards EP or something, I haven't decided).
It is intended as a soundtrack to go with a film I am working on based around both sped up and realtime footage of the sun rising over my home town of Bristol.

The basic arrangement is there and I am happy with most of the mix although I wouldn't call it completely mixed as such.

anyway, it is relatively long, and the file isn't exactly small (although not massive).

http://www.aofp.co.uk/hostedfiles/Sunrise1v1.mp3
When it is finished I will probably edit an updated URL here too. Smile
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost didn't get to listen to this.

The file took a very long time to load, then there was a couple minutes of just a sustained chord, not really very interesting, then.....this beautiful music starts.

In retrospect, it seems worth the wait, but I would definitely serve up a short clip of the middle section for the purpose of the OSAM just so you get some listens, this deserves to be heard, and I'm afraid some potential listeners might not wait so long.
Just my $.02

Very soundtrack sounding, and has a nice mood, I'm sure it'll be awesome behind your video.
Very Happy
Regards,
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this one. Yeah...there is a very long chord in the beginning, but it wasn't a big deal in my case. I actually have a test for one of my classes tomorrow, and this helped me study. The guitar along with the soundscapes you created work so well together.

This was definitely enjoyable. Thanks for sharing. Cool
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi X-Trade

I love this - it was worth the wait Very Happy - It is very very beautiful!! I hope we get to see the video too.

The guitar is just lovely, and I like the acoustic sound, with the fingers sliding on the strings and the occasional harmonics. This goes so perfectly with the electronic synthy background.

Well done!!

Regards from
Dee
botega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellow X-Trade

i certainly see a picture of the sunrise, very atmospheric and pulsating
the Guitar part is beautiful supported well with the Pads+Strings

the volume is too low, the guitar needs a boost and some imaging i feel it sits on the R too long... the strings and pads could also use some extra compression in order to come out from behind theyu also could use some effect automations here and there...

it would be nice to use some Arps\Step seq... to support the long lasting Pads\Strings

overall i like it Very Happy
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks!,

It is a very good sound indeed, and I enjoyed it. !!!

It has a certain glow that is rather elusive, and precious for it..., resulting in a real desire to better feel and understand the generally ambient quality. I am reminded of early material by Rundgren as well as Vangelis... and perhaps some of the material used in the original COSMOS series... WELL DONE....! If you wanted the Sun.....I believe you have it here....

The synthesis feel is VERY strong here and inventive in ways we have not been hearing much of.... !! The feel is one of again, a "waiting" ..anticipation perhaps.... I personally have no problem with the levels you ended up with...

I also would like to hear something larger and more "culminative", as this approaches an ending....

GREAT feel and sound..

Best regards... John (ellll) Very Happy
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got the chance to listen tonight while i did my twitter follows. i was really digging this, it was perfect for the work i was doing and i too was pleasantly amazed with the guitar etc once the piece picked up some interest, but the ambient nature of it is very captivating, it's just not the sort of thing you can just pick up for a quick listen, very cool though and do keep this ups if it's your thing, another Brian Eno perhaps??
album cover
joet63

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi X-Trade, I agree with Stephen in that the beginning is not quite what I expected, it's a bit too long waiting for the track to come to fruition, but then you have the song coming alive with some nice instrumentation, I know it's not finished but well done so far, I would like to hear the finished article, when it's done.

joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the final film up now.
Was a bit restricted because it had to be under 3 minutes. If I had my way it would probably have been at least four. anyway a hiccup with the camera settings meant that the film didn't quite have the hiqh-quality media experience that I had hoped (we didn't realise the camera was in LP until after recording).

However, the concept is good. I like the film, I'd just like to replace all the footage with much better quality shots.
Maybe some day i'll finish it, package it on a DVD along with a live performance and the alternate version. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUiMqoy-5Lc

I'm still working on my backlog of OSAM entries, so don't worry I haven't given up just yet!
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi X-Trade

Just watched the movie...and all I can say is VERY GOOD!... I felt the strange beauty of a big city waking up, that hard-to-describe early-morning feeling - the anticipation (as John mentioned), and also a touch a sadness.

This project must have been great fun for the four of you Three People!

Regards from
Dee
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's strange to see so many fast transition with that kind of music, at first sight the music and the video don't fit together but after watching the video listening to the music a few times I start thinking that I was wrong. This is a good work and yes, very good music too!
Regards, Lorenzo
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
that's strange to see so many fast transition with that kind of music, at first sight the music and the video don't fit together but after watching the video listening to the music a few times I start thinking that I was wrong. This is a good work and yes, very good music too!
Regards, Lorenzo

we were kind of limited on this in that, we had lots of footage and only three minutes. most of the footage we wanted in, but ideally as i've mentioned the film would be longer.

Also, we had to make two treatments. Whilst I and another member worked on this version, the other two worked on the other version, but they had to share 80% of the same footage... we used ours as the 'base' from which the other was arranged. as the other was to be much faster paced (set to a local DJ's Drum 'n' Bass set), we had to have enough variety for the other film to work.
actually, you can see the other version here. That one was much louder too (painfully so, when presented next to each other on the DVD). I also did a nice menu using the phased choir/noise pad from the Radias, and some of the backwards acoustic guitar, on a loop.

in my plans to re-do this, I would also like to make a live (full length) recording of this, maybe set with a sunrise film on a projector screen behind (starting in a room full of stage smoke? that would be interesting, an 'early morning mist' feel, with the projector shining through). Only problem is, in my head, I see myself playing this on an M3, which I don't currently have Confused This might be a long time coming to fruitation.

if anyone is interested in the full package, I could publish the ISO of the current version to my server for download.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I always like this kind of experiment so if it's not a problem for you go for the ISO! I'll be grateful!
Thanx, Lorenzo
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
hi, I always like this kind of experiment so if it's not a problem for you go for the ISO! I'll be grateful!
Thanx, Lorenzo

I know this was aaages ago. I've just found and uploaded the file.

It is actually an .IMG from a Mac renamed as a .ISO but neither Roxio nor Nero seem to complain (yet they don't open .IMG files?!), anyway on a Mac you should just be able to mount it and DVDplay will recognise it.

anyway, here it is:
http://www.bradleygray.co.uk/hostedfiles/Sunrise/SunriseV3.zip

I just read through all this and can't understand how I could have forgot to mention - I didn't play or write the guitar part. I had a friend play the guitar and I explained the kind of thing I was going for, etc.
I did all of the other parts. Anyway, that is who the other credit for the soundtrack is for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: