Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official statement on the status and future of the OASYS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

master logic wrote:
Perhaps Korg can finally tell us WHY the Oasys Sequencer was never updated.

+1
Nice one.

I´m afraid Korg wont tell us anything in this regard from now on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

master logic wrote:
Perhaps Korg can finally tell us WHY the Oasys sequencer was never updated.

Or what purpose the FUNCTION button might have had Wink

There was an update to the sequencer IIRC, which was the addition of the Play buttons in the various event editors etc. Useful as that was, the sequencer (excepting of course the very cool audio tracks) was pretty much the Triton sequencer with an improved UI. I am more surprised that the Oasys in it's original incarnation hardly improved on the Triton in many operational regards, than I am surprised that it never came up to the M3 standard.

Daz.
Arend Groot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
master logic wrote:

than I am surprised that it never came up to the M3 standard.

Daz.

As it is, the Oasys is a fantastic instrument and will be.

But I can't understand why they didn't upgrade it to the M3 standards. For this amount of money and for being the 'mother'of all workstations I think Korg did not make the right choice. Nope, to much promesses Embarassed

Oasys 88 #324:EXs 3, LAC1, MOD-7,KARO strings, Granular, 5 Piano set, Assault
WAVEDRUM
minnkorg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry for the expected update on the O's future.
When I purchased the O I never expected it to live forever.
That is the nature of the limited market for such a high priced item.
So I am happy with my investment.

However I will suggest that Korg release a must have spare parts list for us owners if we are to see Korg run out of critical parts for the O in the coming years(months?) I am referring to motherboard, keys, Joystick,various knobs, buttons,Screen.....etc.

I don't know what Korg policy is for keeping spares but for a legacy Roland product, I once had to buy a non working synth on ebay just to get the spare parts (in this case just some black and white keys that had broken due to a bad fall and Roland did'nt have any to sell me...).
iMac 24"-Logic9 Pro,Behringer X32,Roland VS2480CD,Korg Oasys88,Korg Radias, Yamaha Motif XS8, Roland Integra 7,Roland XP80,Roland VPro Session,Fender USA Strat, Gibson Les Paul USA Studio, Ovation Custom,Fender Jazzmaster Base,Roland GT6, Line6 PodXt Live. TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Marshall JVM 410H 1960CABS. Fender Princeton Chorus.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I can't understand why they didn't upgrade it to the M3 standards.

For me all I wanted was.....

1: Pattern mode needs to have the ability to “Shift Notes” in order to assemble a pattern into all the different chords needed for a song.

2: There is no “All Tracks” tick box option when deleting CC Data.

You have no idea how frustrating I find that these two basic features are missing from """ALL""" KORG keyboards.

My needs are simply and are always based on productivity not eye candy (Piano Roll on a tiny screen ?). The sequencer needs to be transparent in operation which for the most part it is, there are just few small annoying things missing. KORG don't need to redesign the entire thing, they just need to actually force their own people to use it and live with it for a while to understand what's missing.

Regards.
Sharp.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something here, the Korg statement doesn't actually say anything other than the fact that the Oasys is no longer being made and nothing can be said or promised in regards to software updates. I ask in all sincerity, why is everybody saying "Thanks" ? Prior to April 1st we had a keyboard that we suspected was no longer made and we did not know if there were going to be software updates. Now now we have a keyboard that definitely isn't being made and still don't know if there will be any further software updates. For existing owners of the keyboard, unless they intended to purchase another Oasys, this hasn't moved us anywhere.

With less sincerity and more humour; we have however learned that we are great, that Korg is great and the economy really isn't.

Daz.

Last edited by Daz on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2: There is no “All Tracks” tick box option when deleting CC Data.

Regards.
Sharp.

On the Extreme, I've always used Erase Measure, Kind: Control Change, All Tracks.
If that's not do-able on the O, then yes, that's major.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnkorg wrote:
I don't know what Korg policy is for keeping spares

I think that this depends on the national Korg Distributor. In some cases, the length of time that spare parts are available may be dictated by law. Typically, spare parts are available for years after a product is discontinued.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
master logic wrote:

..... I am more surprised that the Oasys in it's original incarnation hardly improved on the Triton in many operational regards, than I am surprised that it never came up to the M3 standard.

Sorry but I wont say just "Thanks".

What I say instead is that now its time to ask for that statement Korg proudly used when the M3 Sequencer was updated and improved:

"Once more, Korg listen and delivers!"

Update the Sequencer on the OASYS was the most requested feature from the OASYS comunity, it was a priority from day 1 back in early 2005, as this plattform claimed to be "open to update and to upgrade". You all know.

Instead, we´ve seen major improvements in the M3 Sequencer (the so much requested Piano Roll facilities, Track view, better Sysex editing) in a model which was not claimed to be "open to update"... and all that in less than seven months.

If nothing ever were released for the M3 maybe we OASYS users could take this matter differently, think its not possible, not feassible, whatever, and we could shut up in this regard; but it has not been the case.

It was not fair to see that released for the M3 and not for the OASYS,
and It is not fair to leave this instrument discontinued without that question adressed, in a way or another.

Not for a 8.000$ instrument, and not for a loyal comunity, who has been asking for a Sequencer revison for almost 4 years.

It is not fair, nor elegant

Last edited by Davidb on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Synergy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidb wrote:
Sorry but I wont say thank you.

Waht I said intead is that now its time to ask for that statement Korg proudly used when the M3 Sequencer was updated and improved:

Update the Sequencer on the OASYS the most requested feature from the OASYS comunity, it was a priority from day 1 back in early 2005, as this plattform claimed to be "open to update and to upgrade". You all know.

Instead, we´ve seen major improvements in the M3 Sequencer (the so much requested Piano Roll facilities, Track view, better Sysex editing)
... and all that in less than seven months.

and It is not fair to leave this instrument discontinued without that question adressed, in a way or another.

Not for a 8.000$ instrument, and not for a loyal comunity, who has been asking for a Sequencer revison for almost 4 years.

It is not elegant, not fair.

Davidb, you read my mind word for word.
The good news is that at least we can sell the Oasys and buy the M3 without incurring anymore money. The bad news is that $8,000 five years ago was worth a lot more than now due to the weak dollar.

I'm just hoping that some genius might come up with the ways to upgrade the sequencer as well as the internal hardwares.

Or better yet, though the hardware production has ended, Korg could always suppliment the funds from the M3 sales this time and upgrade the software for the Oasys. Nothings impossible as long as someone is willing to rewrite the codes.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz.

Quote:
I must be missing something here, the Korg statement doesn't actually say anything other than the fact that the Oasys is no longer being made and nothing can be said or promised in regards to software updates

I think what the statement does mostly is to set peoples expectations right and to stop people from trying to hang on to the constant thoughts of what's next, when is it coming and what else can we throw on the wish list.

The silence from KORG was causing lots of frustration and I think this lets people know that other than new sounds in the form of the ones recently release, expect nothing else, but if the opportunity to release something actually comes up, we will only know when KORG is ready.

Basically don't get your hopes up, enjoy what you have and if more comes, consider yourself very lucky Smile

Quote:
I ask in all sincerity, why is everybody saying "Thanks" ?

I guess for breaking normal company policy and actually taking of future developments.

Quote:
Prior to April 1st we had a keyboard that we suspected was no longer made and we did not know if there were going to be software updates. Now now we have a keyboard that definitely isn't being made and still don't know if there will be any further software updates. For existing owners of the keyboard, unless they intended to purchase another Oasys, this hasn't moved us anywhere.

I think this is in a way sort of confirmation of what we already thought. Personally my feelings on this are this is the end of the road for the OASYS with regards to anything OS related.

Quote:
With less sincerity and more humour; we have however learned that we are great, that Korg is great and the economy really isn't.

Smile Could be worse. KORG could have released the OASYS 2 at Messe. Don't know about you, but I can't see myself buying any new gear for a long time. Maybe a V-Machine, but not much else for a long time.

Regards.
Sharp.
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official statement on the status and future of the OASYS Reply with quote

How about providing an SDK so third-party developers can get involved with enhancing the Oasys --- I bet somebody could do some sufficient enhancements that people would be willing to pay.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidb wrote:
orry but I wont say just "Thanks".

What I say instead is that now its time to ask for that statement Korg proudly used when the M3 Sequencer was updated and improved:

Update the Sequencer on the OASYS was the most requested feature from the OASYS comunity, it was a priority from day 1 back in early 2005, as this plattform claimed to be "open to update and to upgrade". You all know.

Instead, we´ve seen major improvements in the M3 Sequencer (the so much requested Piano Roll facilities, Track view, better Sysex editing) in a model which was not claimed to be "open to update"... and all that in less than seven months.

If nothing ever were released for the M3 maybe we OASYS users could take this matter differently, think its not possible, not feassible, whatever, and we could shut up in this regard; but it has not been the case.

It is not fair, nor elegant.

Quote:
Davidb, you read my mind word for word.

The truth is, we are many thinking this way, and all around the world.

Some, as you and me, will say it here, some will not.

What for, now, anyway?

Quote:

Or better yet, though the hardware production has ended, Korg could always suppliment the funds from the M3 sales this time and upgrade the software for the Oasys.
Nothings impossible as long as someone is willing to rewrite the codes.

Agreed.

Now that Korg has made, positioned, and strongly updated the M3 and the M50 as his now current main workstions (see Korg Japan website) to ensure the forthcoming Korg position and products vs the market and the other companies in the years to come, Korg would be able to continue the development of some more software for the OASYS, at least at some level,
* if * they willing to.

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Thanks James for taking the time to share that interpretation, the statement isn't that clear at all to me, but I'll take your word on it. Maybe you guys read/studied Kafka whilst I was busy playing the guitar in my youth Wink

Don't take my word as gospel either.Smile
The more you pour over the text the more things you can read into all this.

Either way I've decided I'm not going to focus on the negative side of this because the OASYS as it stands right now is still the best workstation I've ever owned in my life.

The only thing that really disappoints me is the Sequencer and I have to say that I'm seriously upset over that. I was expecting somthing on that.

It's my baby, I use the on-board sequencer and nothing else. I've been very vocal about the sequencer too, long before the OASYS ever exists and even back as far as the Tritonica days.

Regards.
Sharp.
Derm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why this post?

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boy would I disagree with that.
Give me one week on an OASYS with that sequencer and I’d have it sounding like a 120 peice orchestral.

Me Love KORG Sequencers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 2 of 34

Jump to: