Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official statement on the status and future of the OASYS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Either way I've decided I'm not going to focus on the negative side of this because the OASYS as it stands right now is still the best workstation I've ever owned in my life.
That's basically what everyone's attitude should be. I wish more would be done with the OASYS as well, but it still kills anything else I've ever owned. People talking about dumping the O and buying an M3, I can say to you: don't do it. I've been critically A/B-ing the two of them for the last 4 weeks while moving our Catalyst set of Combis from the O to the M3, and the OASYS never ceases to amaze me with the sonic clarity and transparency, not to mention much wider palette of sounds. Not that the M3 sounds bad in anyway, it sounds great - but the OASYS sounds mo' better. Smile

Happy birthday, Sharp - as well! Wink

Last edited by StephenKay on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
spalding12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Sharp wrote:
Either way I've decided I'm not going to focus on the negative side of this because the OASYS as it stands right now is still the best workstation I've ever owned in my life.
That's basically what everyone's attitude should be. I wish more would be done with it OASYS as well, but it still kills anything else I've ever owned. People talking about dumping the O and buying an M3, I can say to you: don't do it. I've been critically A/B-ing the two of them for the last 4 weeks while moving our Catalyst set of Combis from the O to the M3, and the OASYS never ceases to amaze me with the sonic clarity and transparency, not to mention much wider palette of sounds. Not that the M3 sounds bad in anyway, it sounds great - but the OASYS sounds mo' better. Smile

Happy birthday, Sharp - as well! Wink

Thanks, Stephen
i'm glad to have your input here, as well

you recent "interest" in OPEN LABS has got me thinking
i wish i TRULY knew how long you'd "write" for the Oasys, IF the OPEN LABS "concept" really takes off.... which is very questionable in MY mind
.... at least in a mass-market sense

i suppose a lot of us wonder where KORG would even BE at this moment without YOUR KARMA...

actually, i don't want to even think about that
that's why i want you to keep your hat in the KORG ring for a long time to come
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,well,well....ive been away from the forums for a while and finally we get a statement from Jerry.Ive read all the responses in this thread too.

I purchased my OASYS back in 2005 as soon as it arrived in the UK.It was and still is the best instrument Ive ever purchased and Korg do deserve praise for having the courage to have carried the OASYS architecture through to the workstation concept they had been developing for 10 years.

Everything has its time,no one product stays in production for more than 5 to 7 years, keyboard wise.......but.........

.....I feel, like some have said already that the one feature that was requested for has never been properly addressed.THE SEQUENCER ISSUES.

I think the community that has invested into OASYS would have been less vocal if Korg were to have given an explanation as to why the seq never got an upgrade like the M3.Its not as if the M3 was 5 years after the OASYS.The technology inside the M3 could not possibly be better suited to the sequencer update...or was it?..... was it a system problem with OASYS?....was the architecture too different to implement the changes?......was the screen on the OASYS not capable of drag and drop etc etc.? Im sure someone from Korg could explain that to us... I for one would have been happy with that,its the silence which was deafening.

My personal opinion is that I purchased the best hardware workstation ever manufactured but its flaws in its seq could have made it the ultimate one stop solution for the hardware player.If we are all totally honest from a hardware only standpoint Korg messed it up on this front.Lets not beat around the bush anymore.The production has stopped,Korg really will never have the time to place an emphasis on OS support now and rightly so and as a company they need to move on.Yet I think its only right that as consumers we have an obligation to point out mistakes that were made so that in future products,hopefully, Korg will take note and bring their sequencers up to 2009 standards in a hardware workstation. The M3 is getting their but its not a patch on Rolands efforts in the Fantom G.

So I thank Korg for the OASYS and all the efforts made by everyone involved but you made glaring mistakes in not touching on the one area that the users have created more threads on in this forum and what has been discussed more times than any other feature on your BEST product you have ever made.

I hope you take note and recognize why some, myself included make sure you know this could have been so much better.The OASYS workstation warranted a sequencer update.

Peace.

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this juncture, I'd like to offer my personal, heart felt thanks and gratitude to Dan, Stephen, Jerry, Brandon and Daz and Sharp. If I understand things correctly - Dan is the heart and soul of OASYS; and what Stephen Kay has done over ar Karma Lab is simply beyond comprehension. They both deserve massive, industry-wide and musical-technology history praise and recognition for what they have achieved.

I've always been a Yamaha-head, and although have numerous Korg synths, never understood Korg's ethos until OASYS. I continue to appreciate what Yamaha Ireland and UK (especially Dusty Miller in Yamaha Milton Keynes) do for me - but I have to say that purchasing an OASYS and joining this forum over 3 years ago have been among the best musical technology based decisions I've ever made.

I realise OASYS has shortcomings; but it is also the most sophosticated synthesizer design in history! Overall, OASYS in my life has been a truly significant and positive experience. From meeting all of my colleagues on-line here, to beta testing for OASYS and even being invited to partake on a ground-breaking TV series about music in Ireland virtually on the basis of owning the OASYS - to say nothing of actually using the the OASYS itself in writing music (!) have been enthralling, inspiring and buckets of fun.

This may be a personal quirk - but the day I bought the OASYS was the day I started using my Yamaha SY99 better. It's weird - but once I begin to see the limits of an instrument because a better one comes along, I change psychologically in how I use it. I can't explain it, but think it's a kind of 'battling down the hatches' combined with jettisoning all the 'wish list' stuff with regard to the old instrument, and get creative with what I've got, no matter how limiting. Its a kind of liberation to go use the instrument more freely.

So for me the announcement of the stopping of OASYS production, while of course very sad to hear, genuinely does not meen any kind of end for me - but instead a new phase or era of using the instrument for what it now offers, warts and all. So I'm looking forward to many more years using this truly staggering instrumentation under my fingertips.

I'll put it this way - the first of us to ever fully exploit the OASYS will win a Grammy or an Oscar. That's the opportunity and that’s the challenge.

I also whole heartedly agree with Sharp - as a community - if we want - we can continue to show the potential within OASYS for one another and for the wider sceptical world. I think that would constitute a very worthy legacy for OASYS beyond its ‘production life time’, akin to the DX7 and SY77/99 which continue to be used to this day because they constitute sophisticated and worthwhile synthesizer designs which also enjoyed enormous programming efforts.

So as perhaps corny or sheepish as it may appear to some; I simply want to publically thank and salute Dan, Stephen, Jerry, Brandon and all of Korg for the vision and hard work that brought about OASYS; and wish them God-speed in all their upcoming projects. And I'd like to thank Daz and Sharp for this extraordinary forum and for the opportunities that will lie ahead for all of us for many years to come.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So for me the announcement of the stopping of OAYS production genuinely does not been any kind of end for me - but instead a new phase or era of using the instrument for what it now offers, warts and all. So I'm looking forward to many more years using this truly staggering instrumentation under my fingertips."

+1 Kevin. Well put.

nitecrawler Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin for your kind words and thanks too for all that you've put into the community here !

Kevin Nolan wrote:
heart felt thanks and gratitude to Dan

I also would like to offer the same. Dan has been a great resource here (and offline!) answering questions, providing deeper product knowledge and getting some folks more obscure issues resolved. However it is the consistency with which he has done these things, day after day for all these years, which really commands our respect and gratitude.

Daz.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:

I also would like to offer the same. Dan has been a great resource here (and offline!) answering questions, providing deeper product knowledge and getting some folks more obscure issues resolved. However it is the consistency with which he has done these things, day after day for all these years, which really commands our respect and gratitude.

Daz.

for sure. respect to the korg USA team. Wink
Synergy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the respect for the Korg USA team in that their lips are tighter than few of the female companions I used to date. No pun intended.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
Daz wrote:

Daz.

for sure. respect to the korg USA team. Wink

Dan works for Korg R&D ... quite a different animal.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i know Wink
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Korg USA, for anyone preferring plain English :

"Our statement we just released says that you shouldn't "expect" further software development per se ..."

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14642

I hope Korg USA will also be updating this :

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=214

... which is misleading to anyone who might choose to purchase an Oasys from the remaining stocks and look to that page for information.
spalding12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's surprising that they haven't updated the US KORG site yet
of course.... when 90% of what you see there is from 2005 and 2006... maybe we shouldn't be surprised

i wonder if KORG folks on this forum can explain why even their own US site hasn't been updated in years?
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg switched to using korguser.net as the principle source of information for the Oasys. That is the best place to find the latest materials and that site has been kept up to date for a while, with some diligency.

As for the other matter, I think continuing to promote the Oasys on the Korg UK website with the headline statement "Multiple forms of synthesis, with more to come!" doesn't sit well with me at all.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/oasys/ws_oasys.asp

Daz.
SoulBe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official statement on the status and future of the OASYS Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
I'm posting this on behalf of Korg Inc:

We always knew we were creating a more limited-market product for a smaller group of discerning musicians (you!)

two more thoughts on this as some of this customers feel, that a promise is broken due to economic reasons:

1. it would be a fair product policy to give this limited group of musicians/customers in case of bringing out an Oasys-"follower" the possibility of a "hardware upgrade" with a special price, because they would be also a part of the limited customer group for an Oasys - follower

2. it would be also fair in case of not bringing out a follower to open the system to a third party partner because he will win a trusty community who is still willig to pay for good products.

SoulBe
spalding12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:

As for the other matter, I think continuing to promote the Oasys on the Korg UK website with the headline statement "Multiple forms of synthesis, with more to come!" doesn't sit well with me at all.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/oasys/ws_oasys.asp

Daz.

well.....
http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=214

the OASYS page on the KORG US site hasn't been updated in almost 3 years

the OASYS is the best workstation ever made (still is)
but....
as you said, THEIR OUT-OF-DATE WEBSITES doesn't instill confidence in folks who have bought, or might buy one of their products

someone seems to have been "asleep at the switch" at Korg for some time..... sadly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 3 of 34

Jump to: