Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official statement on the status and future of the OASYS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sasori

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, clearly I'm getting this information late. Looks like Korg is pulling a SEGA.
I read some re-assurance from jerrythek that Korg will carry through financial troubles.
Who cares? I paid bank for this 88 key behemoth and now its abandoned after 3 years. That really wasn't the song your salesmen were singing back when they were duping us to pay an outrageous amount for a largely impractical workstation. Meanwhile, you were all about the sequencers in your cheaper keyboards; We're stuck with a complete shyt sequencer, a ribbon controller that's got no feel and whatever lame sound banks come our way that also get released for the PC.
Soon, Korg will be selling off its DVD sets for nothing, just like what happened with the EIII disksets.

GFY, Korg.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sasori,

I think we *all* sorry (both Korg and the users) what happened with OASYS.

Be proud Wink, you have a very unique instrument that is - considering all issues and questions - still "The Best Keyboard Workstation" at the moment.

You certainly have tried before purchasing it - the sequencer, the ribbon, the sounds. They are all good, great, and working for most of us. If you don't like your OASYS then sell it.

I think the end of your letter is very insulting - and you have posted it 3 times for safety sake.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Too late to be complaining about a known product ISSUE Reply with quote

Sasori,

The biggest mistake I ever made was not buying an OASYS when I had the chance. It is the best sounding board ever made and has more power than most of the best players will ever use.

I just hope Korg is not offended by posts like yours and comes out with something even better and does not worry that some people will have something to complain about while other feel gifted by their good fortune.

I'd say you have been gifted seeing how few were made.

"largely impractical workstation" There's an on/off button in the back.

John^^
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear! Wink
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Duped into buying a Largely impractical workstation"????

Nobody held you down and said you had to buy it,sequencer limitations aside,If you've gone into this blindly thats your issue not Korgs,spending so much on a workstation doesn't automatically Qualify for Rights to Lifetime support from Korg,I think the only issue most people have that own an O is that parts should still be availible should anything go wrong I would suspect that most of us have gotten over the fact its been dropped and are relishing in what we actually have which is a wonderful sound Quality machine.

I wouldn't say it was largely impractical,infact the exact opposite,the fact it helped me make redundant 4 other Romplers kind of makes it a Good investment and a valuable source of Multiple synth engines.My only wish is that korg perhaps would of made it sooner,then perhaps there would have been no need to purchase those said Romplers.

Irrespective of it being dropped by Korg,I dare say it made many owners actually find it was a good outlay given we were the lucky ones in actually having one,those that thought otherwise have possibly sold it on and learnt a valuable lesson about what they invest their cash into.
2disbetter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I wish was the production of the Oasys had never ended. Such a great device.

I also sincerely hope they come out with a version II.

2d
Pieter Meij

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Well, sorry guys, but I do think that Sasori is making some valid points.

What bothers me the most is that everybody is so forgiving to Korg when they stopped production and most important updating of the Oasys.

I mean and I have said this before you can not blame this on poor sales and an economic global recession. When Korg was selling these keyboards in the 8000/9000 dollars/euro's, etc. range they knew that sales would always be minimal. Just think, we are not talking Korg M1 or Yamaha DX7 quantities here! And yes...Korg made a lot of promises which they did not keep...well then...don't promise so much when you know in advance that this won't be a premium selling instrument.

I bought mine Oasys 88 just because of the Open Architecture....well there is not much open about the Oasys. Why should I be happy with a virtual representation of a Korg MS20 or Polysix? I always found the MS20 a nasty and thin sounding synth. And the Polysix...this was a low budget synth when it was introduced and do you really like it's sound...again just thin.

If Korg had supplied us with a virtual clone of a Minimoog (with a different name of course) ....ok, now we are talking!

I played the Oasys for many hours before buying it...but there was one thing I did not check....I just assumed that you could edit programs in combination or song mode....just like a Kurzweil does or a Motif. What a deception to find out that this was not possible! And no, tone adjust is not the same! Is this my fault, should I have investigated this beforehand...maybe, but with an Oasys price tag was I wrong in assuming this should be possible? Come on!

I also had several hardware-issues with my Oasys after just a few weeks playing and I should add, careful playing: LED's that stopped blinking, a pitchbender that had broken cables, switches that needed to be pressed with excessive force and a weighted keyboard that started to make springy noises.

I cannot understand why I should not sympathize with Sasori!

Best regards,

Pieter
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has been forgiving to Korg for pulling the Plug on the Oasys,I'm sure everyone of us who bought the Oasys was at some point annoyed with the demise of the Production but as you've already pointed out,I'm sure nobody expected it to be a large unit run due to Prices.

I think the vast majority of Oasys owners are more miffed about the fact Korg have pulled the plug on the development of its software not the actual production of it,I can totally understand the financial risk in manufacturing more units than your actually having orders for and so it would be feasible to cease production per se.

However,developing the software side of things is perhaps not such a risk but at the same time could Korg continue to offer upgrades to the OS with futher enhancements without asking a fee in return,I expect most of us would be happy for that but at the same time how long can you continue support at the companies expense without alienating or creating a disgruntled customer for paying such a large sum of money on something, for what was deemed to be future proof in essence and give that to them for free just because its morally right to somehow get your moneys worth

Again with your situation,how can you be expected to know and ask every question about the machine prior to purchase,there will always be some compromise on features that perhaps don't rear its head until after the fact,you can't blame yourself or korg for that matter,very much the same scenario with the sequencer,Whilst many people perhaps did forgive its failings i guess that in some kind of hope they actually beleived Korg would address it in a future upgrade and at the same time people sort of accepted ok this is about as good as it gets after production came to a halt so kind of just Got on with it and appreciatted it for what it is.

I never bought into the concept for its future proof ideology,otherwise I would have dropped it for something newer by now,yet I have still to discover a machine that sounds as superb,even some years later.
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not (and don't want to) take away people's anger about all the things they dislike about the Oasys after they decided to buy it. All decisions are based on assumptions and human beings tend to become quite angry once some of their assumptions are not valid or not valid any longer.

Of course I have a LONG list of things I wish for the Oasys. But I wrote "Hear, hear!" because one shouldn't overlook the positive aspects of his original decision. We tend to overlook those, take them for granted - just like in relationships. Wink

As for the MS20: I disagree! This was a very valuable addition to the Oasys. It's much more than the original monophonic MS20. Just listen to some of pmm's solo-sounds. Perhaps these sounds are not everybody's taste. But I'm VERY glad I got this plug-in (just like MOD7 Twisted Evil ).
John Hendry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Never bite the hand that can feed you.... Reply with quote

The Korg OASYS is an immensely powerful Monster of a Machine and the best sounding keyboard ever produced to date. Because you cannot edit programs in combination or song mode like a Kurzweil or a Motif is not an act of deception on Korg’s part. It’s a gift of higher technology based on physics that says you can’t have your cake and eat it too. The Korg M1 that led the way in Korg structuring program and combinations was so easy to use compared to Yamaha or any other synth made at that time like the Roland U20 there’s no way to describe it without writing a book on the subject of improvements in user interface. It’s just the way it is, has been, and is well known to Korg users.

Your post and posts like it using "bad" words few that they are, worry me that Korg will be offended after being insulted and all we will have offered are “normal” “all sound alike, do alike” average and boring products to purchase. There are approximately 70 million amateur musicians in the US alone and only about 3,000 OASYS made for World Wide Distribution so one bad post by one owner carries weight percentage wise to Korg’s marketing department. Look what already happened.

There is no Poly AT on any keyboard made anymore that I know of except the Old Rhodes made again upgraded to the Mark 7 Active with MIDI @$5,500 with its “Tine Hammer Action” because people do not realize how great and needed a feature this is…..so manufactures just don’t put it in and mention what was left out…..they all do this now because of “marketing”. It’s like buying a car and they leave the front breaks out to save manufacturing costs because the car can still be stopped with just the back breaks and most people won’t notice…till they have an accident. Channel AT is an accident crashing After Touch effects into other notes and you don’t have to wait for it to happen just use it. The more complex the sounds and effects the more Poly AT is needed AS A BASIC FEATURE and it was needed back in the 80’s and Korg, Roland, Yamaha, all fixed this accident on some machines by eliminating after touch completely. Not a good sign for technical evolution. The M50 responds to Poly AT though so not complaining about the M50, just high end keyboards used to trigger it.

“And no, tone adjust is not the same!” OMG…so what? Look what can be done!

LAC-1 was an optional bundle of the EX series of the updated models of the vintage Korg Polysix and Korg MS20 for people that liked it to add on and to say the MS20 is thin sounding ignores the fact that you can route the audio through other EXis. The STR-1 can function as a comb filter and using the MS-20EX filters I am sure you can fatten up the sound and use the filters as Korg intended for sound creation.

And just look at the improvements to the “Wavestation” section….two pages and it sounds better which is saying a heck of a lot and it’s just a small part of the OASYS’s improved sound potential.

The first 30 days is a test period for any product and 22 years so far is the test my M1’s are passing with everything else that says Korg on it…except 2 noisy volume sliders from non-use and a backlight in my WS AD not needed fortunately with ambient light. The OASYS is of better build quality than any other Korg product I’ve seen so inferring it’s of poor quality is grossly unfair to the truth.

Korg didn’t make the LEDs that stopped blinking (or switches that need to be pressed hard) and that’s beyound Korg’s control after it leaves the factory but they are all covered by the warranty. A broken cable is very unusual and it sounds like your OASYS was damaged in shipping by describing it with “switches that needed to be pressed with excessive force.” That can be caused by the circuit boards being shifted internally. Most damage I've seen is AC power related (balanced AC only if you love it and hate to hum along and get the jitters, you can see the improvement on a good TV's 3D comb filter) and shipping and handling.

As for the weighted keyboard that started to make springy noises I believe it’s made by Fatar for Korg. I was an Elka and Fatar dealer in Hawaii and this was very common and I consider it normal. You can lubricate the springs and make this go away but I was told by the Service Manager at Music Industries the distributor to NOT do this. My Fatar 2001 has made that slight sound for almost 20 years and I wish it didn’t but is no big deal and it’s not making it wear out from fiction and I prefer the key action, speed, and stab over anything else to get there. My M50 sounds better triggered off it: something to think about as the controller and settings matter.

You have to look at this from Korg’s point of view and compare it to profits made from guitar tuners. 3000 OASYS made is next to nothing for a company the size of Korg with a cost likly in the ten’s of millions to develop it over ten years and then manufacture it. The sequencing (and hard disk recording) facilities are not in the same class as the rest of the machine and this is the only legitimate complaint IMO but they work and many would not use the on board sequencer in a studio. If it was an easy fix I’m sure Korg would have done so but change one thing and it affects another. I'd like to see an "old" record pop out if anyone remembers them. Korg made it sound great first and foremost and to me that’s what counts most before putting it on a standard CD. Korg can’t keep doing continued research for 3000 pieces of one product sold out while it’s competitors are using it as a reference to design something with a better foundation to start with…..if they can. Korg must keep up to stay in business.

Life’s not always fair if ever…but the feeling that controls it is real and Sasori’s “GFY Korg” remark being repeated is out of line and shows no respect for a Company that deserves our respect dealing with the real World around it that would just as soon put Korg out of business to get ahead and then sell us garbage after the competition is gone.

I know there were issues with the staff of a web site that practically owns a piece of Korg’s public relations department but I feel Korg’s Heart and Soul went past normal Corporation profit driven accounting to build 3000 OASYS and people need to realize the risk Korg took and how well Korg protected its dealers selling them.

Korg was perhaps a little delusional in its desire to create the World’s Greatest compact Workstation area and what can be done in the real world to support it unaware of changing economic conditions coming. But that’s why Korg came so close and neither Roland or Yamaha or Kurzweil or anyone else can come close to the sound quality of the OASYS….or even the sound and value of the M50 it created to save the part the Corporation must sit on in the real world when not standing so Tall above all the rest.

Next time Korg comes out with another Monster Keyboard I won’t wait for the price to come down or be upgraded and I want Korg to know I for one really appreciate the higher quality the OASYS still represents going on 6 years after its release.

Too often I only see what I see and not all the good that is really there to see and take advantage of it. Korg products will do that to a person. I forgot the M50 manual came on the CD. Now I’m all out of excuses and so is anyone that owns an OASYS unless they want to trade for the latest model and built in sequencer and create music not excuses. If you don’t believe me just download some of the music on this site produced on an OASYS and tell me it’s not on a professional level with no end in site. I bet no one has even read the (whole) manual yet, any one of them. Take your pick. The Korg OASYS is an immensely powerful Machine created by a delusional Monster corporation called Korg that may have stopped feeding it so I wouldn’t make it mad if I were you. Especially if you sleep near it and it’s making funny noises after you hurt its feelings....

Peace,

John^^
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John for this very interesting posting!

Peter
Pieter Meij

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

"Korg can’t keep doing continued research for 3000 pieces of one product sold out while it’s competitors are using it as a reference to design something with a better foundation to start with…..if they can"

You are right about this when we are talking about a closed system like all the other ROMplers out there.

But, and I keep repeating this, after seeing all the ads and reading the prospect of the Oasys the "Open Architecture"-promise was THE selling argument for this instrument. So I do think that my expectations were reasonable.

Of course there is always this sentence: specifications may be changed without prior notice, which can can be found in every manual by every manufacturer.

It really strikes me that whenever someone says something "negative" about the Oasys people are very upset about this. It is just a machine...and I don't underestimate the enormous amount of time and development that has gone into it. And sure, it is a great technical achievement.

I am just expressing my feelings about this instrument.

Regards,

Pieter
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2cents...

I guess this whole matter is easier for those of us who buy a used OASYS. I never saw the original advertising (although yes, Korg's USA website continues to extoll the virtues of the Open Architecture), so I don't feel mislead. I judged my purchase on what it can do when I touch it now - and this forum helped a great deal as well, with honest although mixed opinions. Again, I was fortunate in that my O came loaded with all purchasable options.

So, whilst many of you were as pioneering in buying the O new as Korg was in producing it, now, it still the best that (a lot of) money can buy.

3000 units x $6000 (have chosen a low average new price) still netted Korg $18,000,000. I would be delighted if Korg, even once a year, released something for us O users - OS upgrade, sounds, even new synth generators, and I'd be perfectly willing to part with good money for them, because ultimately, I view my O as a longer term investment and in turn, Korg's cap ex is reduced because the platform is out there so costs for the generation of 'extras' are reduced, so their margin goes up.

And just to put it in context, my wife (a professional cellist - international performer) and I recently bought a cello and it cost £86,000. And it doesn't come with any options; just four strings and a wooden box (not even a bow - her current one cost us £12,000 some years ago) and as the guy who built the instrument died around 1790, support is not forthcoming...

The OASYS is wonderful and I hope Korg is as proud of its capabilties as I am and maybe, perhaps, one day, in a blue moon, Korg (which I've supported exclusively since purchasing my brand new Delta in the early 1980s - and I still have it!) will give us a treat.

But cussing at the organisation is not going to achieve anything - if we want them to support us, then we must support them.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze how the nattering nabobs of negativity can continue to gripe even after the fat lady sang and everyone else went home.

Well said John, Charlie, & Cello. I know that I will enjoy my instrument for as long as I draw breath or my fingers fall off, which ever comes first.

The horse is dead. What's the point of continuing to beat it? The Oasys however, lives on and will for some time. Either enjoy what it is or sell it, life is too short to put up with this silliness.

Ken
Pieter Meij

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

This is what I meant in my previous post....you are saying "Either enjoy what it is or sell it, life is too short to put up with this silliness."

Oh yes, I forgot, of course I have to agree with everybody here and I must be raving about how good the Oasys is. Hey Pieter...are you having a different point of view.....well, then just sell your Oasys.

You are talking about silliness?? Maybe your narrow minded black or white way of responding is also a little bit silly?

Ooops...I did it again....I dare saying something negative...

Pieter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 32 of 34

Jump to: