Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading songs and using triton as midi player?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Loading songs and using triton as midi player? Reply with quote

I am reading that you can can create upto 200 multis. Could the song on each multi be a midi song - so 200 midi songs loaded into triton?. How many notes limit is there to each song or total of 200 songs?

Thanks
xpander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have 200 multis, each with up to 100 patterns (99 measures long at max) and the max. number of (MIDI) events is 140,000. If any or all of that amounts to a full song depends on the actual composition. On my stuff the amount of available measures is usually the limiting factor.
SSR

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that answer Smile

Is the 140,000 events a limit per multi or is it the overall limit for all multis. Does it depend on the amout of ram? I have 96mb.

Just out of interest what sequencer are you using and do you play the songs live? How do you trigger them?

Cheers
stokemusicdude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Getting a Stardard MiDi Reply with quote

Hi there . . this is my first post . . so please be gentle.

I've just acquired a Korg Triton Rack and I'd really like to be able to get a number of .mid files onto it without having to keep loading them off floppy discs. I also don't want to re-invent the wheel . . just want to use maybe the tons and tons of drum and bass patterns out there as a starting base.
When I've tried to load a full .mid (GM song) I keep getting the error message . . "pattern longer than measure(s) available". Presumably this is what I've read in this thread.

Is the answer then to simple chop the .mid song into bit sizes (less than 99 bars) and load them as two/three patterns?

It's early days at mo . . and I've only got on-screen manuals to see but any help would be very much appreciated
SSR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleting

Last edited by SSR on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
SSR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleting duplicate message

Last edited by SSR on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SSR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleting duplicate message

Last edited by SSR on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SSR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stokemusicdude

Since my original post I have not used my Triton Rack until recently when I wanted to decide whether to keep it or not. I use Cubase 5 and Halion1 - that gives me almost all the sounds I need.

But as I have some more time I decided to 'get into' the Triton to see if I can use it.

I find the Rack extremely complex to use.

I also found that as a straight sound module it is only mono - to get the stereo output you have to get that out of the firewire connection to a computer and in the software set up an audio track input into which you feed the digital stereo signal with monitoring on.

What an amazing limitation.

Plus I discovered the software I have is not the latest so I have ordered a USB Floppy drive for my computer.

Maybe the new software will sort this.

I have found that any settings I make (e.g. choose instruments for a multi or set up global effects on ) do not get saved to memory, you have to save to disk

This could just be a software upgrade issue.

I was able to record the sysex from the Triton to my Cubase and then by transmitting that sysex at the start of a song I managed to initialise the Triton to the multi instruments I want.

Maybe after upgrading I will have a better opinion of the Triton but as at the moment I especially find the Halion drum and piano and string sounds way superior to the Triton's. Plus you can apply excellent effects to the halion sounds very easily in Cubase whereas applying effects in Tritonis another headache

Overall I think the triton may have had good sounds when it arrives (still pretty good ) but the operating system is a maze which means only the most dedicated software macochists are able to make full use of it.

When I bought the Triton I honestly was not expecting to start a Triton obstacle course of a learning curve - this is just very poor user interface design. Too many bells and whistles hidden in the depths some where

You should be able to just pick a sound for each track and apply the effects
thru midi ad save that setting for each of the 16 tracks.

As I use a computer based sequencer I can save that information in each song.

But for live use it should be possible to save all that information per multi easily so that when you pick any song the sounds are right for it
You can do that but you have to have a hard drive added to make it quick enough. That solution is not cheap.

When you buy the 'flagship' all that functionality should be there by default.

Purchasing an editor is expensive too - a software editor should accompany all hardware synths as a package.
stokemusicdude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SSR

Thank very much for the reply . . very interesting to hear about your experiences with the Korg Triton Rack.

As I said, its early days with the KTR but I'm beginning to have a bad feeling about my "quest". The more I read the manuals (only got 'em on-screen . . so not great) the more I'm beginning to think its not gonna happen as easy as I'd like. Its not gonna let me load a std Midi file into it in full with the event and measures restrictions.

I'm gonna try an experiment now which will be basically chopping a smf into (say) 3 segments and see if they load into the KTR. I'll let you know how I go on.

Cheers . . Stoke Music Dude
SSR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you are using as your controller keyboard

I would suggest a small laptop (I actually use an old HP tc4200 laptop running Win XP for its small form factor) and something like Mixcraft as the software, to run the midi files and playing along with a Korg K61 keyboard.

Midi is so much easier to control in software than hardware.

You will also need a usb to midi cobverter such as

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-USB-MIDI-Cable-Converter-PC-to-Music-Keyboard-for-Windows-vista-win7-/370688305501?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item564ebea95d
stokemusicdude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SSR . . . and anyone else.

I understand a bit more now . . . but still haven't really got the TRack to doing things quickly or simply. I know that a P.C. or laptop is the way to record/edit etc SMF . . . but its getting those master pieces (OK . . . I jest!) onto/into the Triton Rack in the middle of a live gig environ without faffing about with soft ware. As it is, the TRack seems that its gonna limit the "measures" (bars) on any SMF to 100 . . . which is not in any way adequate for even a small SMF.

I'm thinking at the moment that I'll have to play my song from software direct into the Triton Rack's sequencer and then save them as a Korg SNG file onto a floppy from the rack. Doable . . but tedious!! and all because there is this artificial limit on what size SMF it will load from a floppy.
I feel very let down at the moment that Korg haven't qualified the limitation on SMF anywhere . . . Only when you start to read the error files on the Advances Programme Manual do you start to realise the issue.

I must be missing something surely?
SSR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: TRack and smf files Reply with quote

If you can figure out a way to load full songs into the rack it would be great but still not as versatile or easy as running the midi files from a small laptop (say even an Acer Atom) as you have a full screen to organize and trigger your midi files)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: