Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing PBS-TRI board, is it hard?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Removing PBS-TRI board, is it hard? Reply with quote

Guys, does anyone have any instructions on how to remove the PBS-Tri Board. Do I have to do any soldering?

I might be selling it along with my MOSS board. But first I want to get all the info I need. THanks in advance.
"I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope." Then you will call to me. You will come and pray to me, and I will hear you. "When you look for me,you will find me. When you wholeheartedly seek me, I will let you find me, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 29:11
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No soldering needed, the PBS board piggy-backs above the main motherboard on plastic spacers. But you also need to very carefully prise away the two ROM chips (banks C & D) that are on the actual motherboard (not on the PBS board), as these are part of the overall PBS-TRI 'package'.

Reason I say careful is that the chips have quite a few pins, and they are easily bent. I'd get a plastic spatula or similar to gently lever the chips out.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my post here for photos of the PBS board and the two chips:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=238764#238764

Take anti-static precautions when you handle the chips, just as you would with computer RAM chips. You wouldn't want to zap/damage them, and they can be very easily damaged by static electricity.

Last edited by Timo on Fri May 15, 2009 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOw, thanks Timo, nice clear pics. What would be a reasonable price for this board and the chips. Also, how could I ship those two chips out without bending anything? Do they sell something, maybe at Radio Shack?
"I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope." Then you will call to me. You will come and pray to me, and I will hear you. "When you look for me,you will find me. When you wholeheartedly seek me, I will let you find me, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 29:11
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found when buying stuff like this, if chips are loose, as they will be here, they ship them with their legs pushed into anti-static foam to support and minimise damage to the legs during shipping.

You can cut it to size.

Not sure where you'd get this. I tend to cannibalise foam when I buy other computer components when they're shipped to me to keep in case I need to ship anything similar.

Otherwise an anti-static bag/slip with plenty of support outside to minimise movement.

I'd put it in two boxes, one inside the other, with packing inbetween to add another layer of impact damage protection. Everything should be relatively firm, and nothing should be able to move around inside. The outer box should be sturdy.

As for PBS prices, no idea! Wouldn't sell mine, but I guess because they're scarce the prices may be in your favour.
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Timo,

Should I install an older OS first before removing the cards, or should I do it after I remove the cards. If so, which OS should I install? Thanks
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to change your OS if the MOSS-TRI board is removed.

Any Trinity with MOSS = OS version 3.1.2
Any Trinity without MOSS = OS version 2.4.1

None of the other expansions matter. PBS/HDR/SCSI/ADAT will work in either OS version.

One caveat is Solo-TRI, which will only work with OS version 2.4.1
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
You only need to change your OS if the MOSS-TRI board is removed.

Any Trinity with MOSS = OS version 3.1.2
Any Trinity without MOSS = OS version 2.4.1

None of the other expansions matter. PBS/HDR/SCSI/ADAT will work in either OS version.

One caveat is Solo-TRI, which will only work with OS version 2.4.1

Im thinking of keeping only the DI-tri and HDR-TRi option as there are two that I will mostly use. So I would have to go down to 2.4.1 then with these two options left installed right?
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should use OS v2.4.1, as you will have removed the Moss board. No other expansion boards matter.

Only Moss-TRI needs OS v3.x.x.
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
Yes, you should use OS v2.4.1, as you will have removed the Moss board. No other expansion boards matter.

Only Moss-TRI needs OS v3.x.x.

I could not find OS 2.4.1 only 2.4.0 any ideas where i can find it?
3 fingers

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korg.com/SearchResults.aspx?sp=trinity

Click on the "downloads" tab and scroll down a bit.
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, quick question,

Do all trinities come with the little four black screws that you can see on the back where the SCSI and HDR analog outs go?

I accidentally kept them from the buyer and sent them out today, but I wonder if they are already on all trinitys. Either way, theyre going out. Thank you guys.

By the way, I might be posting the PBS-TRI back on ebay as the buyer flaked out for personal reasons.
3 fingers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusiKman wrote:
Guys, quick question,

Do all trinities come with the little four black screws that you can see on the back where the SCSI and HDR analog outs go?

My Trinity does. If your Trinity doesn't have those options, the screws hold cover plates in place instead.
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 fingers wrote:
MusiKman wrote:
Guys, quick question,

My Trinity does. If your Trinity doesn't have those options, the screws hold cover plates in place instead.

Thank you 3 fingers, that is so awesome. I sent them to the buyer anyways and just places some clear duck tape on the back of my trinity. I dont have the cover plates. I almost got all the funds for my Tele, and Im so happy, but today I have to relist the PBS board as the buyer flaked out. Crying or Very sad But no problems, maybe its meant for someone else.

So the brackets definitely do not come standard with the trinity then. But the screws do. Okay, thank you so much.
3 fingers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were the buyer I would send you the cover plates (and screws) since I would no longer need them. Maybe if you ask him, he might too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: