Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS & other Samplers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: MS & other Samplers? Reply with quote

First post - Hi.

I run an Emu X3 in my DAW. Temperamental as it can be, it of course has a pretty comprehensive featureset. Like a lot of people I admire the capabilities of software - but often suffer from mousing burnout - it both liberates & pinches on my creativity. And of course it's tied to my studio rather than portable.

After reading around & seeing SoundOnSound's (positive) review in their Dec issue, I am seriously considering using a Microsampler for field duties. (grabbing the sound of cows munching etc) It would be cool to have something I can take on location to snapshot some found sounds.

SOS seem to be happy to work around its limitations, & are prepared like myself - once back in the Bat Cave - to hook it up to the DAW for further tweaking.

However there seems more negativity relating to the MS shortcomings than praise for it on here.

Is anyone here using it in the way I intend to - in conjunction with other samplers. If so how do you find it? Is anyone actually HAPPY with it as it is?

I don't want to purchase something that may never get the OS updated to get it up to general speed.

Thanks for any thoughts.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good sampler. I've been using it for about two weeks almost everyday. The limitations are not enough to keep it from being a powerful addition to my setup. I use it to sample all types of sounds, but it's also very easy to transfer WAVs from your computer and make your own banks that way. The FX are workable and in conjunction with my Boss SP-505 I get some really good combos. Battery life is good enough to be convenient and the built in mic is solid. There are a lot of complaints floating around these forums, but in my opinion the pros far outweigh the cons. Honestly, I haven't had a sampler this fun and efficient (as far as time spent to hammer out an idea) ever. Along with the 505, I use it with a Stanton C-304, Boss RC-20XL pedal, Behringer mixer w/ multiFX, Roland S-10 keyboard and Boss DR670 drum machine...and a PC. The included software is functional and easy to use, but sometimes I do use Audacity (free software as well) to further tweak samples. It's worth the current price ($500) for sure.
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that people will be more vocal with complaints and criticism than complements of a product. The MS has a lot of good features over a few bad design choices. Some people say that the bad design choices make the MS unusable for what they do, or fixing this-and-that would make the MS better. I'm guessing it's more from a personal point of view of how one uses the MS and what for, but it is what it is.

Whether Korg chooses to fix issues with a firmware update (or even if they can), they haven't made it known. So I would take the MS as it stands now without any hopes for further improvement.

I'm pretty happy with it. It fits nicely into my hardware rig (including a Boss DR-880, MicroKorg XL, KP3, Kaossilator, and a guitar [plus an Electribe ESX and a looper soon]). The only thing I was truly disappointed with was the one sample in keyboard mode limitation when recording patterns. But that was a lack of pre-sale research on my side.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply in detail guys - very helpful.

Tonight I accidentally set off a great ringing sound with some cutlery on a metal drainer - almost made a plangent chord with a long sustain.

I think that's where the MicroSampler would have come in very handy Very Happy
Dave Young

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I've been following comments for a while now and just decided tonight to register so I can reply. I've been making electronic music for some time now and have and assortment of gear (microkorg, EMX-1, synths etc.) I was originally in the market for an ESX-1 as I love the EMX but wanted samping capability. I bought the Microsampler instead, although I haven't had time to really dig into it I think it does exactly what I was expecting, so, I like it. Don't forget though, that sampling can be achieved in other ways as well, you spoke of your kitchen cutlery, well you could use a field recorder like the Zoom H2 etc or just a microphone and create a wave file, drop it into Abelton or your sequencer of choice, or even download a free sampler and use that, or Audacity which is free as well. I even use my Iphone to record sounds and they turn out great. Loop it, chop it up whatever, I've had good success with that as well. Personally, I can't imagine lugging around the microsampler to record sounds everywhere.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like a Yamaha or Zoom portable sound capturing device was originally on my list when I refitted out my studio earlier this year - but as I overspent on a new synth I had to take a break.

Maybe I should go lofi with a cheap dictaphone...

I think the pull of the MS is its hands on nature, keybed rather than pads - and potential to be used out of the studio.

I can see it's not exactly pocket sized though - maybe someone should come up with a Stylophone sized sampler.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using NitroTracker on the Nintendo DS? It's definitely lo-fi, but feature packed and obviously portable. You can get your ideas knocked out fairly quickly and then use the .xm files in other tracker software. You can sample with the built in mic up to about 10 seconds at a time and save as WAVs. It's one option, fairly affordable too ($120 or so on hardware, free software). It comes in handy in live jam situations if nothing else.
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipod touch works ok for location sampling....the mic/headphones with the 3rd generation models is actually pretty good.....and you can download 8-bit casios, m-tron, synths, piano, multitracks, glockenspiels, sampler/sequencer(beatmaker) as well and then use those in conjunction with/in to/out of microsampler.....
its not exactly cheap, i paid £229 from the 'very' catalogue for the 32gb.. but combined with the micrisampler its pretty limitless in terms of possibilities and totally portable...like a more hands on feeling laptop/controller combo...and you've also got your ipod library right there to sample from...
be pretty cool if ipod had midi....so you could control it/play instruments with the microsampler midi out....dont know if thats even a possibility with the current hardware?
3sleeves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do wireless MIDI with both the Nintendo DS and the iPhone (I would assume the iPod Touch as well). Check out this link...

http://dsmi.tobw.net/

I've heard that it can be quite glitchy with Vista, but works fine with XP. The DS and iPhone both have applications that mimic Kaoss pads too.
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, i'll check them out.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Hmm food for thought there

I hadn't thought of the DS/iphone route but now that they are able to utilise MIDI it's a good one.

I'm due to upgrade my phone soon...

Cheers
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg DS-10 on the Nintendo DS with the microSampler is pretty awesome.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some other interesting music production applications for the DS.

http://remaincalm.org/index.php/ds-music-apps

There's one called Protein which has a decent looper and sampler feature and can also save as WAVs. NitroTracker allows you to make multisample instruments and has loop and envelope controls for making your own synth type sounds. I haven't used any of the others enough to give an informed opinion about them.

Has anyone here heard of these new Linux based portable studio things? I saw a picture of what looked like a small tablet PC and a Sega Game Gear had a baby. I think it was called Indamixx or something?
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted with the DS10 & might wait for the DS10 plus now.

I'm in the fortunate position of having more synths than I can learn at the moment but collecting new instruments is really addictive..
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still deliberating so yesterday I tried a MicroSampler out in my local Music shop.

Despite the offputting quality of construction - the green of the PCB was clearly visible thru the keybed on this particular example - I am impressed with functionality/portability ratio. It does have a toylike charm (probably because the knob dials are made of the same grade of plastic as a £14 stylophone....LOL).

As long as it is reliable and inspirational in use, quality perception is a minor issue, although not perhaps so good for KORG's image.

The basic tactility of the unit was fine - including the action of the keybed (I am use a Kurzweil PC3X so was pleasantly surprised at this). The small recesssed buttons were initially uncomfortable until I used my little finger tip - design fault or compromise for compact real estate? I can live with it anyway.

I had a lot of fun very quickly which is what it's supposed to be all about for me.

When I think it will work best for me is for jamming with musicians in the studio - when firing up my slow menu driven s/w sampler is not appropriate.

As to whether I tuck it in my coat for some surreptitious sampling moments - well there's entertainment potential there - but there are easier field recording solutions - as of course has been suggested above.

Provided the sound quality and basic sample catching are OK - whatever the MS's shortcomings I can further edit samples on the DAW.

So - after a few months of deliberation - I've convinced myself to take the plunge - with a proviso to return it if it underperforms.

Soooo - over to you Santa.. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: