Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

microsampler? no thanks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddylaser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: microsampler? no thanks Reply with quote

i just saw this recently on ebay..i didn't know it existed

i would love to...but i won't be buying that thing because
1. most of you..users here..seem to dislike it
2. i use a mac os and most of you here warn against
3. the small keys..i have big hands
4.i have a microkorg and its the most useless awkward piece of junk i own. it has some beautiful noises buty its a crying shame they are wasted on the microkorg.
i'm well aware at how awkward the korg micro series can be. overloaded with gold but crap with common sense
i have an electribe ea1 and i love the thin to death.

i have the roland sp555 sampler and i've been looking for an alternative.
i would love to have a sampler that ca be played like a synth...like liam howlett back in the day....
anyone recommend anything thats not "micro"??
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I really like my microSampler. A lot of people who posts on forums will usually be more critical of a product than heap praise upon it.
2. I use mac os - there are no problems and the software is quite easy to use. In fact, I use the software to tweak and name the samples that I make - takes about 3 minutes.
3. I have giant catcher-mitt sized hands with sausage fingers, the keys are not narrow - and the black keys are at a better depth than the original microKorg. They are the same keys as the microKorgXL.
4. I do not own the MicroKorg, but do own the MicroKorgXL. The two of them work great together.

I post this not to sway your decision, it just seems you have a thing against "micro" to begin with. As for samplers, have you tried the ES1? I think that can be played like a synth if you hook a keyboard controller to it.
shabby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to have an sp-505.. which is a nice sketchpad.. but also has flaws.. like for instant de quicklooper (forgot the technical functions name) it sucked.. it had a small gap between start and stopped.. u could loop anotehr loop over the loop without stopping. u had to write it to a memory spot before continuing... the only advantage is the max. time of memory whicht the kog obv. lacks.. mayby they could open up the bank to have a one bank max. memory capacity...

anyway i would say there are 3 major lfaws on the current os of the korg:

1. No automatic looping
2. no extensive midi control/midi remote possibilites
3. not possible to have all memory divided in total time in stead of bank a - h

for the rest it rocks.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other peoples opinions are all very well, but I would never base my entire understanding of a product on them alone. You need to audition one.

Of course at the end of the day every instrument/device will have its limitations - & the benefit of have a creative mind is working around these. If your fingers won't fit it, you could use a MIDI controller kb.

Nord Wave is about the only current sampler I can think of, apart from workstations such as the M3, with a full size keyboard. It's a different animal really as it's about three times the price & more complex.

Going retro will bring its own share of headaches, but its an option.

If the MicroSampler is a success other manufacturers may follow the cheap portable h/w sampler route, so we could see more choice offered in the future.
Dietrich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-MU previously announced a keyboard MIDI controller with a built-in sample based sound engine, effects, etc. Press release: http://www.emu.com/news/pressreleases/pr11609.asp

Though I haven't seen much from it. Not unlikely it won't have a sequencer or even sample new sounds.
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dietrich wrote:
E-MU previously announced a keyboard MIDI controller with a built-in sample based sound engine, effects, etc. Press release: http://www.emu.com/news/pressreleases/pr11609.asp

Though I haven't seen much from it. Not unlikely it won't have a sequencer or even sample new sounds.

I don't think that's a sampler. It just has sampled instruments.
nortisop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the automatic looping, has anyone tried this:

Set the pattern sequencer to automatically play a loop every 4 bars (or whatever you want the loop to be), but assign it to a blank sample. Then, while the pattern sequencer is playing, record your loop into that blank sample. After the 4 bars of recording are done, would it automatically start playing that freshly-recorded sample?

I don't have my microsampler on me now to test this, but this seems like a completely viable solution.

shabby wrote:
i used to have an sp-505.. which is a nice sketchpad.. but also has flaws.. like for instant de quicklooper (forgot the technical functions name) it sucked.. it had a small gap between start and stopped.. u could loop anotehr loop over the loop without stopping. u had to write it to a memory spot before continuing... the only advantage is the max. time of memory whicht the kog obv. lacks.. mayby they could open up the bank to have a one bank max. memory capacity...

anyway i would say there are 3 major lfaws on the current os of the korg:

1. No automatic looping
2. no extensive midi control/midi remote possibilites
3. not possible to have all memory divided in total time in stead of bank a - h

for the rest it rocks.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea for looping...I'll have to try that. Currently I just run through a Boss Loop Station pedal for live looping (fewer controls, less headache for me). I also use a Boss SP-505 and its lack of live loop recording/playback pushed me in the direction of loop pedals. The FX on that box are great though.

As far as sampling keyboards go, the microSampler is pretty powerful and definitely worthwhile. The only thing remotely close for anywhere near the price is a used ASR10 on ebay. Otherwise, you may as well just get a MIDI keyboard controller, a laptop and find some good software. Energy XT is pretty handy...similar to Abelton Live and a bit cheaper.

I use a Roland S-10 sampling keyboard as well and do wish the microSampler had a couple of its features, namely envelope controls for the samples in keyboard mode (so a sample's start point and loop start point could be set independently). That's my only complaint about it currently.
Daddylaser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool to read the rest of your thoughts on this

i thought the microsampler had itty bitty girl keys like the microkorg...description on an online store "mini keyboard"
so i presume they just mean mini as in fewer octaves...as opposed to a big full size keyboard

hmmmmm
santa is coming soon
i may send him a pm about this

but if i have any problems with something as basic as f*ck*ng automatic looping..i'm going to crack the thing in half and blame some of the people in this room. lol (watched the godfather yesterday)
that type of awkward stupidity is a characteristic of all korg's "micro" series

i currently use a roland sp555 for my live beats..check out a gig i did here if interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxY8t4HUtkk
its good but as it requires constant human triggering.. the beats can go slightly out of sync
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddylaser wrote:

i thought the microsampler had itty bitty girl keys like the microkorg...description on an online store "mini keyboard"
so i presume they just mean mini as in fewer octaves...as opposed to a big full size keyboard.

no, it does have mini-keys, however they are improved over the original MicroKorg - they are the same keys that are on the MicroKorg XL
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddylaser wrote:

hmmmmm
santa is coming soon
i may send him a pm about this

but if i have any problems with something as basic as f*ck*ng automatic looping..i'm going to crack the thing in half and blame some of the people in this room. lol (watched the godfather yesterday)
that type of awkward stupidity is a characteristic of all korg's "micro" series

No, seriously, don't get the microSampler. It won't do what you're expecting it to. If you can't get your hands on it to try it out before you buy it, or return it for your money back, then pass on it.

If you are unsure on how it operates and it's limitation, a good place to start would be reading the manual which is available from the microSampler page on the Korg site. (Click on the support button below the big picture of the MS) - it's not the best manual - but you can get a sense of the workflow involved.

Also, wait around until people start posting YouTube videos on how they're using the microSampler. I just bought an Electribe MX based on tons of youtube videos people have made.

Also check out this great video from Nick Batt of Sonic State on the microKorg: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/09/25/sonic-lab-korg-microsampler/
DeadVolume

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nortisop wrote:
Regarding the automatic looping, has anyone tried this:

Set the pattern sequencer to automatically play a loop every 4 bars (or whatever you want the loop to be), but assign it to a blank sample. Then, while the pattern sequencer is playing, record your loop into that blank sample. After the 4 bars of recording are done, would it automatically start playing that freshly-recorded sample?

I don't have my microsampler on me now to test this, but this seems like a completely viable solution.

I had a crack at that a while back, because it seems to randomly determine the length of four bars (it's a bit cack to be honest), if it samples for too long it'll have to wait for four bars of silence until the sample triggers, but if it decides it wants to sample too short there will be a gap at the end.

You could try doing it manually, i.e. not specifying the length in bars and just stop recording with your finger, but I'm a bit s**t so I gave up on that idea...
padKONTROL
Daddylaser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks AI joe....and X trade

you just saved my mrs a very moody xmas daddylaser lol

i think its time to step out of the toy dept (microkorgs, electribes and sp samplers) and step into the big bad world of real synths and sequencers

i'm f*ck*ng shitting it though lol
its one thing to waste 500 quid on the wrong machine..quite another to spend a months salary on something that just laughs back at me
Dj Pound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt call the Tribes "toys" Laughing Ive went up against dudes with MPC-4000's with nothing but an ES-1 and or an ESX, And wiped the floor with them!!
.....But Speaking of the Microsampler, hows the internal Sequencer on it? Can you do motion sequencing? Filter sweeps etc? step editing etc..??
MicroStation
MicroKorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532
3sleeves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motion sequencing, step editing...a Jedi craves not these things. No seriously, it doesn't have either one of those. It is a shame about the step sequencing especially I think, mainly because you can't even change measures on the pattern sequencer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: