Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

exporting pattern as midi file using microsampler editor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannynyc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: exporting pattern as midi file using microsampler editor Reply with quote

Hello Guys:

I am attempting to use my microSampler as a portable song/beat creator tool that I could work on song/beat ideas and then export them as midi into my DAW for more editing. I tried exporting a pattern which includes some drum hits, and a "keyboard mode" sample, but the midi file did not include the part that I played in "keyboard mode". Am I doing something wrong?

It's also a pain to check which samples the pattern is using and export each sample one by one into the DAW (using the editor software). I wish they had a menu selection in the editor that exported the midi file along with the necessary samples that it uses. This shouldn't be that hard to do. Hope it gets added to the editor software in the next version. Otherwise, it seems that I would have to record actual audio loops from the microsampler into my DAW instead of midi data and this means that the audio loop should be pretty much free of any editing needs.... perhaps I would like to change the kick or snare of the loop, then I will be force to use something like recycler instead of just assigning a different sample to the midi note. That is why I would like to be able to export nicely the patterns I created in the microsampler into the DAW.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks
3sleeves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea...you could use the MS as a USB MIDI controller at the same time you're recording on the MS. That way you can also record your MIDI keystrokes independently, allowing you to instantly tweak the MIDI pattern in your favorite software and bypassing the Editor/Librarian completely if you want. I've done that so far with EnergyXT software and it it's not quite as cumbersome as it sounds in this description. I also use the MIDI software and MS concurrently to allow for simultaneous multiple sample triggering sometimes. What DAW are you using?
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you import the SMF file into your DAW? The keyboard part should be on channel 2.

Alternately, you could play the sequencer while your DAW is running and record the incoming MIDI data. It should capture whatever channel you want to grab. Just make sure the MS is slave or master.
dannynyc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help.
I was able to find the keyboard sample in midi channel 2 as you suggested. Smile
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite easy to drop samples from the MS into Ableton's Drum Rack or Sampler or Reason's NN19 or NNXT (should be the same for other sample instruments in other DAWs). Add the note name (i.e. C4) to the end of the wav filename (i.e. "Kick_C4.wav" when you export from the MS Editor. Match up those names to the piano roll when you import to the DAW. Drop in the MIDI which will then line up to the samples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: