Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADvice Needed For Potential Buyer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highstakes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: ADvice Needed For Potential Buyer Reply with quote

Thanks for helping me out. I have some questions regarding my setup and acquiring new gear. Currently, I have a the following setup:
IMac - newer model
Logic Pro 9
Numark tt-usb turntable
Stanton DJ mixer
Pair of Yamaha HS80 monitors
MPD 24

I would like to add a keyboard controller (I'm thinking of the new Korg Microsampler). Basically, I'm willing to get the microsampler as long as it can Fully function like a controller, which can control logic synths & plug-ins(axiom, mpk, etc.) and as well as it's own features. Furthermore, I would like to to be able to record from my turntable to logic and into the microsampler. I understand I would need an interface. Would I still need the mixer? Would the M-Audio Firewire Solo work with my setup?

Would a control surface take place of an Interface?

I am possibly interested in getting a control surface that works good within logic. I was looking at the Euphonix MC Control, it seems to work great with logic. Is there an cheaper alternative? Also, I would like it to be user friendly, I am new to this.

Essentially, I want everything to work simple & smoothly. I like to make sample based music from records. Can you give me a rundown of the necessary items I'm going to need...cables, interface, etc.

Sorry, if I'm rambling just want to be clear.

I appreciate your time....
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the microSampler being a full time MIDI controller, especially if you're going to need dedicated knobs and faders to control software instruments and plugins. I've used it for a keyboard controller, but the knobs seem too disorganized for CC control. You have a MPD24, that has enough knobs and faders on it, too. Of course, you could always add a nanoKontrol. If you're willing to spend cash on a Euphonix, you can save half the money and get a good Novation controller instead.

But you'll still need an interface. The only way to get audio into the computer from the microSampler without an interface is to use the MS software editor to export the wavs - one at a time. You can run the MS through the Numark, it has a built-in interface. You'll need a Stereo dual TS to 1/8" Stereo cable.

I would keep the mixer.

Also, if you want to work with samples - I would consider switching from Logic to Ableton Live - it has a great Sampler/Drum Rack - you wouldn't need the MicroSampler.
highstakes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my mind after doing more research, I'm not getting the microsampler.
highstakes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing more research, I'm not getting the microsampler. Ideally, I want to be able produce sample based music in logic and mix in logic. I know I don't need a control surface for mixing(I can use the mouse) but to my understanding some control sufaces have interfaces builtin (i.e. Alesis Master Control) let me know if Im wrong and if there are others? As for as keyboard controller I'm up in the air about which to get. If I get a mixer control surface, will I need a keyboard with knobs & faders? And are the keyboards that come without the knobs & faders quality keyboards?

Thanks for your time...
3sleeves

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Audio makes some solid keyboard controllers with lots of knobs, sliders and extra pads for budget prices. You should be able to find a 49 key for under $200 easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: