Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV-1 New Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndySeattle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
Hi Andy:

Are you Masterjam over at the Keyboard Corner? I answered this over there:

No - not me. I'll give your suggestions a try though tonight and report back.

Thanks.

vinceg wrote:
In any event, I bet you won't hear it when gigging. Seems pretty slight. Would drive me nuts if playing with headphones, tho.

Probably not, it's most noticeable when playing softly. When you dig in, it masks the hiss. I got mine for home use and recording though rather than gigging so the hiss is really annoying.
Nillerbabs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, got some questions for you.

Well, first off I'll have to see if I even like the samples up first hand. Right now, things look pretty promising. However... The panel lock issue has been mentioned, but I have a few gripes with the instrument.

First of all my NE3 has an onboard mid frequency knob, which I use all the time - it's great for adapting one's rhodes sound to the room in which you're playing. Having this as an onboard feature is pretty vital to many, I suspect - would it be possible for you to add this as a secondary function for a knob? Would make most sense with the Mid knob, I guess... Cool

Secondly, the tape delay neeeds to respond to the tap tempo - its not doing so seems completely ridiculous, and makes that adorable effect virtually unusable to me.

Third, I read someone in this thread complaining that altering the FX cut off the sound. However, I was unsure whether this meant selecting a different effect or just turning knobs. Being able to do knobturning while playing to me is vital (even if this effect is dramatically cut by the knobs being notched, the only disadvantage with this choise), and half the fun of using the tape delay relies on this.

I realize this is quite a request from a guy who's not an SV-1 owner. Well, YET, that is to you! Very Happy

Thanks. And dude, it's so cool that you're hanging round these forums, feeling the pulse of the real people. I guess that's why you have such a good product on your hands.
AndySeattle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:

The best way to deal with this is to use the Editor, turn down the initial gain a little and bring up the amp attenuation a bit. Then use the NR (Noise Reduction which is a noise gate) to dial out more of the amp noise.

I've tried the editor and I've found that the controls under the (pre-tube) 'Amp' section make no difference at all to the level of hiss. I can actually turn both the Pre Vol and Amp Vol to zero and still get huge amounts of hiss.

The one control which does dramatically affect the hiss is the Power Att in the (post-tube) Cabinet section. Cranking this takes the hiss from bad to 'nest of 1000 vipers'. The NR control is just a gate, so it only reduces hiss when you're not playing - play softly and it sounds like someone is frying bacon in the background!

I've noticed another issue. Enabling the 'Amp' section turns the signal to mono, which destroys the (stereo) tremelo pre effect. Try switching the amp off on factory favorite 4 to see what I mean.
mebush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndySeattle wrote:
I've noticed another issue. Enabling the 'Amp' section turns the signal to mono, which destroys the (stereo) tremelo pre effect. Try switching the amp off on factory favorite 4 to see what I mean.

There's only one tube, hence mono. Stereo panning is one of the classic Rhodes effects, but panning should not be confused with tremolo. There should be a stereo panning effect POST-amp, not PRE-amp!

I've had my SV-1 for a week now, and it's a huge improvement over my 8-year old Yamaha P120 - apart from the lack of splits and layering, that is. I agree with the frustrations others have raised though about the need for a double-click (or click-and-hold?) to engage "local off" etc., and especially the fact that switching between effects cuts off the notes.
violet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndySeattle wrote:
jerrythek wrote:

The best way to deal with this is to use the Editor, turn down the initial gain a little and bring up the amp attenuation a bit. Then use the NR (Noise Reduction which is a noise gate) to dial out more of the amp noise.

I've tried the editor and I've found that the controls under the (pre-tube) 'Amp' section make no difference at all to the level of hiss. I can actually turn both the Pre Vol and Amp Vol to zero and still get huge amounts of hiss.

The one control which does dramatically affect the hiss is the Power Att in the (post-tube) Cabinet section. Cranking this takes the hiss from bad to 'nest of 1000 vipers'. The NR control is just a gate, so it only reduces hiss when you're not playing - play softly and it sounds like someone is frying bacon in the background!

hey andy, i think i have a solution for you on the hiss. turn down your master volume and adjust the drive of the amp model to get the volume that you want. i was fiddling around with my sv-1 and found that when i turned down the master volume, it cleared out the noise. but cranking up the amp model with the volume on a lower setting (i dialed down from 7 to 3) still gave me clean output. give it a try and lemme know if it works Smile
adan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back to talk about my favorite issue, the "button bump." While I'm confident Korg will come up with a solution, I've got gigs to play, so I'm using my own chicken wire and gum fix. I bought some thin stainless steel strips from the local hardware store, cut them to the right length, put a single layer of black duct tape around them, bent them to the right form, then attached them with tape to arch over some of the buttons. It looks like the keyboard is growing tumors, but with the black tap you only notice if you're up close. This seems to work, as I can now play freely and not worry about changing from piano to strings while playing octaves in the right hand.

I've played my SV-1 about 20 hours so far and unintentionally hit buttons about 4 times. Is that alot? Well, it's never happened to me on other keyboards, so in that sense, ANY is alot. But the reason this issue bugs me so much is that when you know it MIGHT happen, it chills your playing. Kind of like making out with your girlfriend when you know your mom might walk into your room at any moment. OK, it's been about 20 years since I experienced that, but the feeling is still vivid in my mind.

Adan
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nillerbabs wrote:
Jerry, got some questions for you.

First of all my NE3 has an onboard mid frequency knob, which I use all the time - it's great for adapting one's rhodes sound to the room in which you're playing. Having this as an onboard feature is pretty vital to many, I suspect - would it be possible for you to add this as a secondary function for a knob? Would make most sense with the Mid knob, I guess... Cool

Secondly, the tape delay neeeds to respond to the tap tempo - its not doing so seems completely ridiculous, and makes that adorable effect virtually unusable to me.

Third, I read someone in this thread complaining that altering the FX cut off the sound. However, I was unsure whether this meant selecting a different effect or just turning knobs. Being able to do knobturning while playing to me is vital (even if this effect is dramatically cut by the knobs being notched, the only disadvantage with this choise), and half the fun of using the tape delay relies on this.

hi NB:

All good and interesting requests. I never make promises about the future but I'll certainly share your ideas with the development team.

The posts about notes cutting out is only abut changing the effect algorithm, not vary the values of the parameters.

And thanks for the kind words!

Regards,

Jerry
AndySeattle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:

The posts about notes cutting out is only abut changing the effect algorithm, not vary the values of the parameters.

It's disappointing that the notes get cut dead on what is supposed to be a 'hands-on' performance keyboard though. I had expected to be able to tweak away freely without the sound cutting out. I also have an M3 and an XS8 and neither keyboard has this issue when changing effects. Surely this issue is fixable via a firmware update?
Narfig

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SV-1 73 and I'd have to agree with some of the posters. Let me preface by saying I love it.

but...

The amp model is really noisy and difficult to get a clean sound from. I want power amp distortion when I really hit it. I really, really want to like the tube, but it's hard to. If I swap out the tube for a really good one would it help? It's a keyboard, I have little use for gain.

It so needs a panel lock or make the switches a little slower to react. Using it on a recent session I had to do a number of extra punches because I accidentally kept hitting the amp button.

The editor is awesome, but I want more control. I'm never going to use the SG-1 sample (sorry...) so why can't I have that location for something else? I also want to assign what-ever parameter to the front panel knobs. Especially for the effects.

Tap tempo for the Tape Delay. What where you thinking Korg? Razz

Those are my gripes, but don't get me wrong. It's an awesome and inspiring keyboard. The Rhodes and Wurli are nailed and the piano's are very useful. Especially the upright and the mono grand. And holy crap, is that really Garth Hudson's Lowery? It sure sounds like it. The 73 note RH3 action is a joy to play. I own a 200a, a D6 and a stage 73. Finally I can retire them to a nice comfy place in the studio. Nice work! Now, if you could only make it feed back. Wink
TravisR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an SV-1 73. I generally love the concept. However, I think it still needs some work. Hopefully, Korg will keep working to resolve some of the key issues.

First, some things I like about it:
* The pianos are big and clean sounding
* The Rhodes sound good
* The keyboard action feels good - solid weighty feel
* The layout of the controls are generally pretty clear and convenient
* Size and weight are great
* Radio style preset buttons are quick and easy
* Overall sound quality is very good
* I haven't any issues with accidentally hitting the buttons, as some others have reported

Some things that I really hope will be addressed:
* The piano sustain drops off too fast - makes playing ballads a challenge
* The reverb control is too limited - the range is too broad given the fixed positions - for example, on the hall reverb setting 1 is too little, 2 is too much in many cases
(Generally, it would have been much better to have knobs with continuous adjustment - like on the Nord - rather than the limited fixed position knobs.)
* I primarily play Jazz piano and really only use the pianos, rhodes, clavs - It would be great if Korg provides some additional pianos and rhodes variations - The synths, farfisa, etc are wasted space for me. I would love to be able to replace them with some more useful sounds.
* The "Touch" adjustments are OK, but feel a bit limited. It would be nice to be able to define your own curves in the editor.

To me, the SV-1 is a very "playable" instrument. I primarily play a Yamaha C3 grand and generally find playing a digital piano a drag. However, the SV-1 has a very solid, responsive feel that makes it fun to play.

I really hope Korg addresses some of the limitations, and provides a broader library of sounds - particularly pianos with better sustain.

Last edited by TravisR on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
mebush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two more wish-list suggestions, just in case the development team at Korg are looking for more things to do!

(1) I would like to be able to boost the volume of certain notes slightly and cut others slightly - differently for different patches. Playing with the EQ and/or choosing a different touch sensitivity curve are very helpful in shaping the sound, but they don't quite do what I want.

(2) I agree with those who have commented that the range of many of the controls is too broad, and that this - coupled with the notching - means that you often can't get "just the right amount" of reverb, amp drive, or whatever. You have much finer control via the editor, but it would be good to be able the tweak the sound when playing live. My suggestion here would be to add a new control sensitivity toggle switch in the editor for each control so that the user could switch between "full range mode" (as they are now) or "fine control mode" (which doesn't currently exist). The idea would be, for example, that if for a particular patch the user sets the "Spring" reverb to a particular level in the editor and the associated switch to "fine control mode", then the level that is set in the editor should correspond to the middle level of the DEPTH control knob - hence giving the user the ability to tweak the reverb slightly up or down when playing that patch live. If you see what I mean!
JustGotLucky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my SV-1 88K for about a week and have already gigged it a couple of times.

Its a great instrument and I really love it.

I play a variety of music and I am very pleased with the sound selection and quality.

Here are my suggestions for improvements:

- For piano's if the Amp section is OFF the volume seems too quiet compared to other instruments. For example, with an organ you can turn on the Amp modeling and adjusting Drive adds significant volume. I don't want an Amp model on the piano, just the same volume as the organ.

- I have an Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal. I cannot get it to calibrate correctly (sound never goes completely off). Tried another SV-1 - same issue. Also, if you switch sounds volume goes to FULL until you tap the pedal.

- MIDI should be documented (at least I can't find it). I found that each of the 36 rotary settings changes the program to an attached sound module (via MIDI OUT) to a value from 1-36 and the "Favorites" buttons change the program from 37-44. There don't appear to be "bank" changes. Haven't tried MIDI IN yet. So far nothing else seems to send any MIDI data but the pedals.

- I would like to see "Local Off" also be able to stop sending MIDI independently, i.e., a button that switches completely between either the SV-1 or external MIDI. The SV-1 always sends MIDI so if you have a sound module attached you can't "silence" it while you play the SV-1.

- For me sustain is too long.

- I too do not like the notes cutting dead when changing sounds.

I've had no problems hitting buttons.

Todd
Rodney

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the SV-1 88 for a month. I love the vintage key sounds, especially the Rhodes. I also like the interface, and the on-board power supply (I've been let down at more gigs by power bobble failures than anything else). The amp simulations are fun to play with, but I don't have any groups currently where I'd use them.

I've got a weird effect that I absolutely love the acoustic piano sounds through headphones (Sony MDR7506) -- they're expressive, have plenty of punch, and I can make inner voices sing out. But through any speakers I've tried (my studio Tannoy active near-field monitors, my Roland KC-300, or through several different stage monitors) it sounds very different. The ringing of the middle notes takes over much of the sound field, I notice some odd phasing that makes certain notes sound artificial, much of the highs on the attack seem to disappear, and I have a hard time bringing out melodic notes above the background notes. I wish I knew what to do, because I never had this problem with my Korg SP-200 or my previous Roland keyboards. I've never heard such a big difference between phones and speakers before.

I've tried turning off the limiter, and adjusting the touch sensitivity, but I notice almost no difference between the different touch settings. I suspect that on stage I'm playing the keyboard too hard, so that I don't have any headroom left to make certain notes louder, but it's very frustrating. Since what I do mostly is play acoustic piano sounds, I need a better sound in my speakers. I'm wondering if the additional customization offered by the new Yamahas will be better for my style of playing.

As for things I'd like to see updated: I agree that the reverb should be more flexible. Especially on the "Hall" setting, where 1 is zero (redundant with turning the reverb off) and anything above level 2 is musically useless -- way too swimmy. I'd like the SV-1 Editor to allow me to set what percent "mix" of the reverb I want at the 1 and 10 settings on the dial, so that I can have it range (say) from 3% to 30% rather than from 0% to 100%.

But the most disappointing thing for me is the inability to get it to sound good through speakers.
vanhaabe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

There is no SV-1 forum and I will post my question here.
I'm looking to get SV1 73 keys, however, I would like to get more info about Korg's matching case and stand , especially size and weight. Or simply put, if I get case for SV1-73 will it fit in trunk of Hyundai Sonata, and do I have to hire personal trainer?

I don't want to repeat same mistake I made with Gator case. Yes, quality is there, but transport wasn't so easy. Only case was 15 lbs + 40 lbs piano.

Thanks,
Ed
TravisR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodney,
I recently bought a Motion Sound KP-500SN amp. It has a very flat response so it doesn't seem to color the sound very much. It also has a built-in expander that seems to work well for dealing with phase issue you raised. The SV1 sounds very good through it to me. This is the best keyboard amp I have heard, and believe me I have tried many amps (including the KCs) and PA speakers searching for something that works reasonably well with piano sounds.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: