Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV-1 New Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluesKeys

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: SV-1 New Owners Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum (1st Korg in many years) and appreciate such a place to read & ask questions. I'm hoping to start a post that new SV-1 owners can go to address issues & ideas.

I purchases an SV-1 88 because it appears to be the kind of keyboard I would have designed for myself. After owning and selling several keyboards I now firmly realize I am not a "tweaker" (sp?) and was delighted when I heard about this SV-1. Seems perfect and am looking forward to my continuing evaluation (relative to the music I play -blues, funk, R&B).

My first impressions...

1. The reviews (Sound on Sound, Keyboard) seem pretty accurate to me and this is a very cool keyboard.

2. I am unsure about the acoustic piano sounds but I think this is related to playing a Yamaha CP300 and CP33 for so long. The bright Yamaha piano sound kind of took over my ears of what a piano should sound like. I have the same issue with my Kurzweil P3C. I understand the "Japanese Piano" is a Yamaha but it is not a duplicate sound to my CP-33 (nor does it have to be).

3. I found myself sometimes hitting some of the lower buttons when playing in the flat keys. This does concern me. For example, when I played "Mess Around" - Eb - sometimes I hit the, gulp, "local off" or "transpose" buttons (when I really focused I did not hit them but you know what a live gig is like... lighting, adrenaline, etc.). I read in Keyboard magazine that a panel lock function is in the works. I hope so - I would hope to have the ability to lock out certain buttons only (rather than the entire panel). I won't be using transpose or local off but I would want access to the other buttons & knobs. I find this issue to be no small matter and may be enough for me, unfortunately, to return the keyboard. I hope this won't be the case. Hit the "local off" button and, you guessed it, the sound goes dead. Yikes.

4. Strange, but when I change sounds I sometimes hear a very audible "ffftt" sound - not consistently though. With the other equipment noise on the type of gigs I do (we don't play ultra quiet ballads) it probably won't matter, but it is strange. I wonder if anyone else notices the same?

I hope others will post their impressions/experiences with this new exciting instrument. Thanks.
mayor 2020

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: splitting the keyboard on the SV-1 Reply with quote

I have ordered the SV-1-73 but now am concerned that I can't split the keyboard. There seems to be some confusion (at least on the internet) on whether this can be done or not. Can anyone help?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: splitting the keyboard on the SV-1 Reply with quote

mayor 2020 wrote:
I have ordered the SV-1-73 but now am concerned that I can't split the keyboard. There seems to be some confusion (at least on the internet) on whether this can be done or not. Can anyone help?

You can download the manuals here.
http://korgpa.com/pa_root/en/products1/sv1_man.html?en

Kind Regards
Sharp.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot split the keyboard on the SV-1. Sorry.

What type of sound splits would you want or use? We can certainly make new sounds for it (based on the existing waveforms, of course), and could consider making some of these for you if needed. So please give some examples and we will consider it.

Regards,

Jerry
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blueskeys:

I'm sorry to hear about "button-bumping" mishaps. We are aware of this and are working on a fix. Please be patient, we'll announce what we're doing when it's ready.

Regards,

Jerry
adan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the front panel this morning wondering if a hardware fix might work. Specifically, little shields positioned below certain buttons and angling up so that you can still reach the button from above, but are less likely to bump it while playing (you'll bump the shield instead). It's a goofy idea, but it might work.

This issue simply has to be addressed. Yes, if you play in a controlled manner you can probably avoid hitting buttons unintentionally. But if ever there was a funky keyboard intended NOT to be played in a controlled manner, this is it!

I'll be patient and see what Korg comes up with, but it's sad that there is not a dedicated panel lock button. Just guessing, but the lack of a dedicated button probably means that you'll have to press the function key and then one other key to lock or unlock. That means that you have to find that tiny key and then find another key before you can press the button you want to change favorites, or something like that. It's a shame.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adan:

We're not convinced that a panel lock button is the right answer. Think about it - you have to press a button to lock the panel, then when you want to change sounds you first have to press a button to unlock the panel, select your sound, then relock the panel. Three steps during performance?

Is that really the desirable answer?

Regards,

Jerry
BluesKeys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: My Guesses on Amp Models Reply with quote

I am assuming that due to trademark issues, the actual amps modeled in the SV-1 cannot be "named" (except for Vox - which Korg owns). Here are my guesses:

Amp1: Fender Twin Reverb (“Normal” channel)
Amp 2: Fender Super Reverb
Amp 3: Fender Twin Tweed Combo
Amp 4: VOX AC30 (as stated in manual)
Amp 5: Mesa / Boogie (model?)
Amp 6: Organ amp as described in manual

Any other thoughts?
violet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
Adan:

We're not convinced that a panel lock button is the right answer. Think about it - you have to press a button to lock the panel, then when you want to change sounds you first have to press a button to unlock the panel, select your sound, then relock the panel. Three steps during performance?

Is that really the desirable answer?

Regards,

Jerry

Well, instead of adding an extra button, you could make the instrument change a "double click" instead of the single push? That way the only change needs to be done through software, and the user doesn't have to hunt for two separate buttons. Granted, there would probably still be some accidental button-bumping, but it should lower the chances of the sound changing.

Another idea would be to recess the buttons more on the front panel. That way, only the button caps would need to be swapped which should be simple enough. I've just been trying to keep my hands in check when I'm playing, with some success. No button-bumps for a few weeks now Wink
stephenj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: keyboard Splits on SV-1 Reply with quote

Hi - my question is for Jerry as I'm about to buy one of these keyboards - do you think it is POSSIBLE to create a keyboard split of acoustic piano/pad and electric bass, either now or at some point in the future?

I'm aware that's not really what the keyboard is for, it's just that I'll probably require the use of the split sound quite a lot.

Alternatively, can you 'switch off' a split of the lower keyboard so you MIDI up a module and play bass from that instead?

Many thanks
Stephen
AndySeattle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Disappointed with SV-1 Reply with quote

I got an SV-1 a couple of days ago and there are a couple of things I'm rather surprised and disappointed by.

On the Rhodes preset, when the 'amp' is on, there is a lot of hiss when a key is pressed. Switch the amp section off and the hiss is gone, although the instrument then loses most of its essential character.

The level of hiss does not change with the velocity and it fades away again along with the note. It is loud enough to be very distracting especially since it is not a constant hiss (fades in and out) and is bad enough to make me want to return the unit, although this will cost me heavily in shipping and restocking fees.

The second issue is that changing the pre or post effects on-the-fly cuts the notes dead. This means that you can't really 'play' the effects ie sweeping from a mild chorus to a heavy phaser to a rotary and back again, or switching from a reverb to a delay without the sound going dead.

The hiss issue is a dealbreaker for me - it really ruins an otherwise great sound. Is it fixable or do I have to return the unit?
adan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will stop trying to do Korg's job for it ;> I can see the disadvantage of a panel lock, I just wasn't creative enough to suggest another solution, and I've seen panel lock buttons on other keyboards. Violet's "double press" idea sounds great (Korg should hire her before they hire me). A future reconfiguration of the panel might also work, but since I've already bought my SV-1, it won't help me.

I still don't understand how Korg could not have seen this issue and dealt with it up front. But that's neither here nor there at this point. I'm keeping the keyboard because it fits my needs in so many ways, and since the button bump issue will be dealt with, my one deal-breaker will cease to be one.

Yes, the amp sims are noisy, that's because it's a real tube. I'm glad the SV-1 uses a real tube, noisiness and all, instead of digital modeling.

To state the obvious, this is not the keyboard for someone who needs splits. I used to be a splitter, now I am not. I've gravitated towards a philosophy of minimizing distractions from the music. When you split a keyboard, you then have to devote some part of your brain to remembering where the split is, and moreover, it just seems unnatural to be playing two sounds from one keyboard. Not "unnatural" in the sense of "if God meant keyboards to be split, she would have blah blah blah . . . " but rather just in the sense of generating confusion in the music-playing mind. Much better to have two keyboards. Of course that's more hassle than some people will want. It's just a trade off, but the SV-1 is for people who either don't need 2 sounds or who, like me, have split off from the splitters.

Adan
AndySeattle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[link expired]

Last edited by AndySeattle on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
vinceg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adan wrote:

Yes, the amp sims are noisy, that's because it's a real tube. I'm glad the SV-1 uses a real tube, noisiness and all, instead of digital modeling.

Adan

Gee, are tubes inherently noisy? That MP3 of Andy's sounds just like the artifacts of digital amp modeling I get in my Roland Cube-60 amp, my Digitech FP-500 guitar pedal, etc.

I hope it is "just" software -- then Korg can do field updates more easily.

In any event, I bet you won't hear it when gigging. Seems pretty slight. Would drive me nuts if playing with headphones, tho.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy:

Are you Masterjam over at the Keyboard Corner? I answered this over there:

Originally Posted By: masterjam
The only thing that really disturbs me is the fact that there is a noticeable white noise when playing with the Amp simulation turned on.

@Jerry the Korg Guy:
Is there any possibility to fix this (change the tube, etc.)?

The best way to deal with this is to use the Editor, turn down the initial gain a little and bring up the amp attenuation a bit. Then use the NR (Noise Reduction which is a noise gate) to dial out more of the amp noise. Guitar amps are inherently a bit noisy, to make the sound real and not digital there's going to be a little bit of noise. When guitar player's get a good tone pushing an amp they actually have a pretty serious level of standing state noise... we're just not as used to that in our world.

Try those tweaks and let me know if you're finding a better result. We can always talks via PM to take a specific sound and suggest some tweaks.

Regards,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: