Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV-1 New Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjohnson4318

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Velocity zones Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm seriously interested in sv-1. I'm a bit confused about the velocity zones. The upper part of the keyboard seems to be more sensitive, which is logical for grand pianos (single strings for lowest notes followed by a zone of double strings etc.), but makes no sense for electric pianos. While playing an upward lick and at certain point it becames 30% louder...

I understand you can choose from 8 levels of overal touch sensitivity, but what about these zones? Are they editable? I wish they were, this is the only bug that makes me hesitate.
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zones are not editable as far as I know. But honestly I've not found the keybed to be a problem at all. Actually responds and feels quite nice once you get a feel for it. At first I thought it was a bit odd myself, but am enjoying it now. The only time it's a bit off to me is playing organ sounds. Tires out your hands a bit when doing things like the solo on "Highway Star" Hands start aching before I end the solo! I just use the lightest velocity setting and hope for the best. Being that there are more electromechanical & acoustic sounds than organ, the weighted keybed was the way to go. I would'nt let it stop you. But hit your local music store and play it for a while. See if it clicks with you.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity zones Reply with quote

mjohnson4318 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm seriously interested in sv-1. I'm a bit confused about the velocity zones. The upper part of the keyboard seems to be more sensitive, which is logical for grand pianos (single strings for lowest notes followed by a zone of double strings etc.), but makes no sense for electric pianos. While playing an upward lick and at certain point it becames 30% louder...

I understand you can choose from 8 levels of overal touch sensitivity, but what about these zones? Are they editable? I wish they were, this is the only bug that makes me hesitate.

Which sound are you playing the you experience this with?

Regards,

Jerry
mackbaz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I think the sounds should sustain while switching, that way you can hold a chord in one hand, switch the sound with the other, and then start jamming again with your new sound. Seems like most keyboards I have played on do this. Or at least I didn't notice it until I started playing the sv-1.

Also I have noticed that the organs seems much louder than the others. I have to turn the volume back a few notches to get it even with the others.

One last thing is that with the top zone the natural sustain of the notes seems drastically different than the note left of the zone...(I think its from F to G... could be wrong though). Anyway, the lower note cuts out quickly and then the one above sustains for a while. I realize acoustic pianos do this in the top keys but not in such a drastic manner. It doesn't go from no sustain to quite a bit in one key. Either that or the steinways and yamahas I have been playing weren't made right.

These issues are something I can deal with however, this board rocks! I find myself playing new styles of music just because the sounds make me feel different, something I could never do on my acoustic.
mjohnson4318

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity zones Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
mjohnson4318 wrote:

Which sound are you playing the you experience this with?

Regards,

Jerry

Hi, back from journeys... I had to try it in another music store to see if another piece of sv-1 will do the same. To me it seems that the "loud zone" starts with F2 key (below modulation on/off button of 73 key model). Most significant while playing el.piano1.1 and el.piano2.1. Could be that it's an issue of frequency or interference in headphones (or in my head Smile rather than velocity/volume. A sophisticated equalizer can solve this for sure. Anyway, 30 minutes playing were enough for getting used to it, this issue became negligible and the salesman had a good day Smile
I don't care organ sounds as I have a CX-3.
I couldn't understand why nobody made hammer action keyboard shorter than 88 before. I was so desperate that I was trying to convince Yamaha technician to cut my old P90 Smile)) I don't play Liszt, don't play bass, just jazz comp + solo, I want hammer keys and the best piano+el.piano sounds. Therefore sv-1 73. Greetings from Prague.
KidBomba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Hello Everyone Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

this is my first post on the Korg forums. I actually own quite a few Korg gear, didnt know this forum existed so I'm glad to join the community.

I own the SV-1, just purchased about a month ago and I am very happy with. I was working with a Yamaha PSR-520 (i'm not kidding). It was a tank, but I mean, going from that to this is a BIG STEP. I love the realistic feel of the keys, the design of the thing (I have a thing for retro; the music I like is very similar Razz), and the sounds are amazing. The EP's are my favorite and I get a kick doing funk tracks with the clav's.

I've only had two minor issues, mostly due to my own fault, but I was able to address (just in case you experience the same):
1) I had a cheap-o made in chine brandless expression pedal and my wah's were not working quite right, even after calibration. So I went out and purchased a Kor gone and now all is good Razz
2) I kept bumping the "favorites" keys with some crazy playing style. I was able to overcome this by forcing myself to be aware of this issue and avoid playing in that style as to bump the buttons accidentally. But the new OS addresses this problem so now I can go back on playing my own wierd style again Smile (thank you Korg!)

Thats basically it...really stupid minor issues really.

Question Question
I do however have a question for the advanced users of this unit. Other than the dampner pedal (sustain), do the other pedals send MIDI information too? I was wondering if there was a way to make the 2nd expression pedal into a modulatin signal for external synth... or even a pitch bend (but I know I would need to map the signal to do a pitch bend). My solution to this problem is to get a small controller (Korg MicroKey?) and just use this for modulation, pitchbend.
Question Question

Thank you Korg, you made me very happy!

BTW: I also own a Kaossilator Pro, the Kp3, the smaller kaossilator and I just bought also the monotron (its fun!). Cool
luclepianiste

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from France Very Happy

Quote:
by Jerrytek:

You cannot split the keyboard on the SV-1. Sorry.

What type of sound splits would you want or use? We can certainly make new sounds for it (based on the existing waveforms, of course), and could consider making some of these for you if needed. So please give some examples and we will consider it.

Regards,

Jerry

Oh yes: Please a split with the stereo upright piano from A1 to E4, and grand piano2 (from sp1) or mono upright on right hand. Please do it Sounds Good
Siriosys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi luclepianiste!

I like that split as well, and I wonder if Korg can go a step further than just creating a split and give us the ability to create our own splits with the editor. Also, being able to use the existing functionality to adjust the sound level of either side.

Cheers
MBPro
luclepianiste

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Razz

Quote:
by Jerrytek:

What type of sound splits would you want or use? We can certainly make new sounds for it (based on the existing waveforms, of course), and could consider making some of these for you if needed. So please give some examples and we will consider it.

Regards,

Jerry

This is a simulation of the split that I would (vintage piano/grand piano2) made with audacity:

http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?file=cj201101/cijNzi4EWN.zip

Edit: Some notes are deliberately detuned for natural feeling
dlrshort

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Software confusion Reply with quote

My sv1 is only a week old. I am very confused about software and the editor. I have read most of the posts and still have questions.
1. What software should be loaded onto the keyboard even if you are not going to use the editor right away? And in what order?

2. What software is specific for the editor?

3. What sounds is the editor able to edit. Is it the eight favorites or the six variations of each separate voice, tha is all the settings of the two electric pianos, the organ, the two acoustic pianos, clavs and strings,or both?

4. Are there any tutorials besides the one YouTube video on the editor or using and downloading the software?

Thanks
Rodney

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Software confusion Reply with quote

dlrshort wrote:
My sv1 is only a week old. I am very confused about software and the editor. I have read most of the posts and still have questions.
1. What software should be loaded onto the keyboard even if you are not going to use the editor right away? And in what order?

The only thing I'd consider crucial to load on would be upgrades to the operating system--but if the keyboard is new, that's probably been done. There's a system of keystrokes you can use to check, it's in the help files for the upgrading software. But the keyboard comes ready to use, and you don't need any software just to play it.

Quote:
2. What software is specific for the editor?

I don't know what you mean by that. The Editor is a stand-alone application. It allows you modify the sounds on the keyboard, change the default settings of effects, amp simulations, reverb, or replace the on-board sounds with other sounds if you want.

Quote:
3. What sounds is the editor able to edit. Is it the eight favorites or the six variations of each separate voice, tha is all the settings of the two electric pianos, the organ, the two acoustic pianos, clavs and strings,or both?

It can edit all of the above. You can also use it to load new combinations of sounds from the two Sound Packs provided from Korg, some of which are quite useful. You can also use it to modify the settings for a sound -- for instance, if you don't like the default settings on Organ 4, you can change the amp modeling, reverb settings, and which effects are the default when you switch to that sound. More drastically, you can put any sound into any memory space. For instance, if you usually use a particular acoustic piano sound, you can move it to the "Electric Piano 1" slot so that it always comes up first when you power up the keyboard.

Quote:
4. Are there any tutorials besides the one YouTube video on the editor or using and downloading the software?

Thanks

I haven't found any, but the instruction manual is fairly well-written.

Last edited by Rodney on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
dlrshort

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your hep
dlrshort

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help
flyingace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Soon to be an owner Reply with quote

Looking forward to getting the SV1 73 in the next few months, probably fathers day when GC has their 20% off coupon.

I've read all here and watched every youtube vid I can find. Very impressed and love this unit for its design and sounds. Its exactly what I would have designed myself!

My biggest problem is finding one to try out in my area. No one stocks them here in Central Arkansas. Dallas is the closest and I rarely go there (5 hours away). We are supposed to take a trip to see the Cardinals play in St. Louis in June, I have yet to find a store there that carries them either. Sad

I might take the chance and just order one via guitar center but would really like to play one first.

Regardless, I hope it all works out and I get to join in all the ooey gooey vintage goodness fun!
craigalan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same boat, and bought one before ever trying it for myself. Not a single ounce of buyers remorse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: