Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logic Pro 9 MIDI Clock Sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Logic Pro 9 MIDI Clock Sync Reply with quote

I was recording my band in the studio the other day, and the track involves a pulse from my Radias synthesizer.

I set up MIDI clock sync in the project and connected the radias, started the project and hit a key....

The pulse came out at completely the wrong speed. I mean, it was in time, but it was probably 16x too fast, probably even more!

The project tempo was set to the same as the tempo I use on the radias for live performance of the song. I tried turning the arpeggiator clock down to 1/1 (instead of 1/8 or whatever it is normally - quarter notes) which is the maximum value, but it was still too fast - playing 16ths.

I think changing the project tempo would mess up all my edits for the drums, so the question is, is there something I need to do to change the clock resolution on the Logic project? anything in the OSX MIDI setup? I never knew it to be a problem though, I don't have any trouble with my macbook running cubase at home (admittedly I don't use Logic at home as I don't own a copy).

Another thing is that the studio at the university uses a MOTU MIDI TimePiece (MKIII I think) for MIDI distribution, could there be something set wrong on there? I own a MK II that I use for routing all my MIDI controllers and clock timing in my live setup though and never had any trouble, admittedly I haven't played with the sync settings...

Anyway, any ideas?
I'm back in the studio at the end of the week and I'd like to try to get it working, but this had me really confused!
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
m4m

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exact same issue here, im trying to record midi tracks in logic with my hardware, when sync to the electribe everything is fine but when sync to logic it becomes a mess at quadruple speed
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were settings in the preferences but I couldn't figure it out.

Eventually as I was only using a synthesizer as a bass pulse, I just entered the MIDI notes in Logic and sent it out to the synth rather than using the arpeggiator.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've noticed a potential bug in 9.1.4 regarding MIDI timing.

My MIDI hardware was recording/playing out of sync with the audio/software synths.

To the amount of 1/96th!! (Don't ask about the nightmare it took to get to this number!! Evil or Very Mad )

There are issues with MIDI timing that I didn't notice in 9.1.3.......

FWIW, the sync with MIDI clock should be a simple case of enabling in Logic's settings and going to the MIDI tab.
Enable clock on the output that you want.

The *only* thing I think it could be is a feedback loop - were both MIDI in & out connected on the Radias?
Was the Radias transmitting MIDI clock data?

Might have got confused......
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Radias was connected directly to the MIDI interface only on MIDI In.

From what I can tell, it was like the clock rate received from Logic was several times faster than what it would have expected. I had to put the subdivision on the Radias arpeggiator down as low as it goes and it was still faster than the 1/4 beat I needed.

Fortunately (or unfortunately as it was very nice) I don't work in that studio any more and I have no problems with my Radias in my home setup...

However currently I am having prolific problems with the ES-1 starting and stopping itself randomly and not starting when I actually try to play any songs.
Krog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for awakening this thread but did any of you guys figure this out ?

I'm having the exact same issue with my Electribe and Logic.

Admittedly, I'm a recent Logic convert and have only read one book on using it which goes through the basics.
I guess the second book might throw some light on the issue but I thought I'd ask here first Wink

Cheers,

Krog.
Teenage Engineering : OP-1
Other : Samson Carbon 61 Midi Keys
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
DAW : Logic, Maschine
Studio : Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Behringer MS40 Monitors.
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
http://www.youtube.com/Krog360
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out what my problem was...... All my midi was in time with itself, but lost the plot with logic's audio/soft-synths.

Turns out I had the limiter plug on the master out of logic!!! Oops!!! Screws the timing up GRRRRRRR.

Sorted now though

Dan
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Krog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ScoobyDoo555
Thanks for your reply.
Sadly, I am not yet up to speed with Logic to understand what you mean Very Happy

I guess that second book needs to be put on order from Amazon Wink

Thanks again,

Krog.
Teenage Engineering : OP-1
Other : Samson Carbon 61 Midi Keys
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
DAW : Logic, Maschine
Studio : Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Behringer MS40 Monitors.
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
http://www.youtube.com/Krog360
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: