Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand new owner of the MS with a few qs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Brand new owner of the MS with a few qs Reply with quote

Thanks in advance for the advice

Liking the MS with just over 48 hours of ownership but have a couple of things that I'm really struggling with:

1. How does the sample timing (for one shoot or loop) work? It seems to assign random max times allowed - for example i can sample at one point at it will allow me to set it to 16 secs max then i try to sample the next key and it tells me 3 secs and stops after that time? I'm struggling to sample which is obviously the whole point of the machine - tried reading the manual several times but it doesn't really talk about how to change your sampling time

What I want to do is just punch sample parts of vinyl tracks and then assign them to each key - at the moment its just giving me random sampling times every time i try to sample. Maybe I need to grasp the 1.4 style options?

2. Also with the pattern sequencer every time I try to write to the pattern it plays back their demo patterns along with what i am playing - wonder what i need to do to remedy that as im sure that's easy enough to change

Apologise about the basic level of advice needed here but I am still struggling to find owners of this sampler to chat with so joined up here
jbl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you're stuck in the factory rom. choose bank, change your bank and press enter until the lights scroll across the keyboard completely. at which point you should be set.

when i sample, it always goes back to the preferences i was using last time i sampled in that bank but if you change banks or turn it off it will reset to factory presets i think.

also, you can initialize to clear banks. mostly get to know your manual. Technical manuals aren't always simple to grasp but that's the beuaty and the beast of it, ain't it.
MarsHottentot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl, you can't wipe the presets, right?
CharlesD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jbl yeh i needed to erase the preset patterns first now it works a treat

every time i sit down with it i learn so much more - like the amazing talkbox-daft punk esque capabilities of the Grain Shift if set to real time mic - sounds great

i am still struggling to understand why the sample time allowed changes so erratically every time i want to sample - can smtimes be 16 sec then when i go to sample on the next key its like 4 secs then it stops

other than that im gettin there just through using it

i also need to work out how to copy pattern 1 onto pattern 2 so i can build on that as at the moment it seems like i have to start form scratch with each new pattern?
jbl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshotentot(fixed)
no, you can't erase factory rom. but evrything else (banks a-h) is erasable (if not already blank).

copy sample and/or pattern is actually the load function. the old pattern stays the same but you will then have a copy on the designated destination.
i like to sample my pattern (which i can't do on any of my sp's) then apply effects. i can essentially use this as a 12 track (up to eight bars perfectly synced).

as far as the sample timing cutoff; try and give me a rundown of your steps.

Last edited by jbl on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
CharlesD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh yeh of course load the pattern (pattern 1 say) from that bank into the next pattern (pattern 2) - yeh that makes sense now - thanks for that

To sample heres what I am doing

Selecting loop samping mode
Select key to sample to
Hit Sample button then turning dial until I see Sample time on the screen - at this point sometimes it can be 31 secs max then when i try the next key it can be as low as 1 sec max

all im wanting is a consistent amount of time allowing me to sample then manually hit the sample button to stop the sample but often i dont have enough time allocated to be able to which can be frustrating

it must be something really obvious that im doing or not doing
softroom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sample time you see is the overall free sample time for the bank you're in. So if you use it all up on one key, it's gonna be unavailable for the next. If you set it to, say, 4 seconds on one then move to another, you should have 4 seconds for each subsequent key without you needing to tweak the setting, until there are no more 4 second chunks. Similarly if you set your time in bars rather than seconds.

Does this help?
MarsHottentot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jbl, it's great your mom lets you do this between diaper changes.
CharlesD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does help softroom - i think my problem may lie with setting the bank to a new bank rather than staying in rom - i will continue to play and see as i know there should be 160 secs each bank is that right?
jbl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarsHottentot wrote:

LOLz! what's wrong with you guy? is it bcuz i got your name wrong? or bcuz you misunderstood something i said on another post. man i don't care about you and am in no way trying to offend you. get over it.

and seriously why do you come here and bash a mashine and the users of a mashine that the page is dedicated to? if you don't like it, sell it, move on, whatever...

maybe you just need a hug with such anger issues.
softroom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesD wrote:
that does help softroom - i think my problem may lie with setting the bank to a new bank rather than staying in rom - i will continue to play and see as i know there should be 160 secs each bank is that right?

That's right.
Personally I found the ROM bank so ghastly I left right away, never to return. Smile
CharlesD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true -well on my keys are still the original generic supplied sounds so that must indicate that i havnt actually left the rom hence the small sample times im seeing as the rom's full other than when i replace a sound with a new one

Gnna set up in the studio as ive been playin with the ms on my lap in front rooms etc since christmas so gnna get the pc hooked up in a bit and start transferred some of the banks ive prepared from the software

thanks for your help anyway highly appreciated
softroom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun! Smile
MarsHottentot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl wrote:
MarsHottentot wrote:

LOLz! what's wrong with you guy? is it bcuz i got your name wrong? or bcuz you misunderstood something i said on another post. man i don't care about you and am in no way trying to offend you. get over it.

and seriously why do you come here and bash a mashine and the users of a mashine that the page is dedicated to? if you don't like it, sell it, move on, whatever...

maybe you just need a hug with such anger issues.

I'm just havin' fun with you - you called me 'mrs.', I infered that you're a baby. Sorry - I thought we were engaging in a 'bromance' (internet pals who pick on each other). Let's both take a deep breath and hug, crying deep into each others shoulders and be pals!

seriously, I'm not bashing the Microsampler! Bashing is saying things like 'This machine sucks' or calling it 'Fisher Price' or telling people that they're throwing their money away if they buy it - I have done none of that. I did call it a toy, then clarified what I meant by that.

I think you're basing your opinion on things that I wrote on the thread regarding things we'd like to see in a firmware update, which by it's very nature, is meant to be critical.

On top of that, you can't argue that if any of the concerns I mentioned were rectified / instituted it would only make the instrument better.

And again - I have yet to receive mine! It gets sent out tomorrow. And again, I know I will LOVE it when I do. My above question regarding the presets was sincere, not a snarky attack, and I asked you because you seem to know it inside out.

I'm completely okay with you, jbl, and have no interest in bickering. I actually want to get quasi personal relationships going here so we can all get the most out of this instrument - be it a united email campaign lobbying for a firmware update or in depth analysis of our personal workflows and work-arounds.

As I said before, I use a lot of old outmoded samplers. As such, I've found that community is of high import to getting everything you can out of your tools.

Are we cool?
jbl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceberg. i'm still learning myself, mostly on the technical side like how much does the milliseconds start and stop function in global affect anything?

charles, once you get to bank a and initialize, you'll be golden. the software is pretty good and once you get it up and running (slightly challenging part) it will help with understanding the ms-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: