Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to do a harddrive backup?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Best way to do a harddrive backup? Reply with quote

I've looked through previous threads but haven't really found a good answer.

I'd like to be able to backup the internal harddrive from time to time so that if I ever have to replace it, I can simply reimage a new hard drive and throw it back in. Is there a way to make an image of the internal drive without removing the drive and plugging it into a computer as that's not a practical method for regular backup?

Thanks,
D
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is not possible....do I really have to physically remove the drive to back it up?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhjdhj wrote:
I guess this is not possible....do I really have to physically remove the drive to back it up?

Well I have a 0.5 TB Hard Disk connected to my OASYS, and I regularly back up all data, 3rd party libraries etc onto it.

I have spent a lot of time organising my data into a tree-hierarchy, with top level folders with titles such as "soundlib" for my sound library and so on.

Then, backing up this folder is simply a matter of selecting it, going to the utility menu and choosing copy, then go to the external hard drive and chose the "paste" option which becomes available on the screen. Everything in my sound library under that folder name is copied to the external hard disk.

I save such back ups in date-labelled folders on the external HD for easy access in the future.

You only need to back up user data - songs, programs, 3rd party libraries (and then only is modified or customised for your usage). Everything else from the OS to factory sounds and settings are available form the OS CDs.

The key is to organise your data into a hierarchy of folders; and separate out "once-off installed user data" that never changes such as sound libs from regularly changing sound data such as songs.

Hope this helps.

Kevin.
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to clone the drive itself, much like I do with Ghost on a PC or SuperDuper on a Mac so I can just keep a spare drive around.
D

Kevin Nolan wrote:
dhjdhj wrote:

Well I have a 0.5 TB Hard Disk connected to my OASYS, and I regularly back up all data, 3rd party libraries etc onto it.

I have spent a lot of time organising my data into a tree-hierarchy, with top level folders with titles such as "soundlib" for my sound library and so on.

Then, backing up this folder is simply a matter of selecting it, going to the utility menu and choosing copy, then go to the external hard drive and chose the "paste" option which becomes available on the screen. Everything in my sound library under that folder name is copied to the external hard disk.

I save such back ups in date-labelled folders on the external HD for easy access in the future.

You only need to back up user data - songs, programs, 3rd party libraries (and then only is modified or customised for your usage). Everything else from the OS to factory sounds and settings are available form the OS CDs.

The key is to organise your data into a hierarchy of folders; and separate out "once-off installed user data" that never changes such as sound libs from regularly changing sound data such as songs.

Hope this helps.

Kevin.

Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You inadvertantly raise some interesting questions:

If you purchase a separate HD, insert it into the OASYS, format it and install the OS and Plugins onto it:

1. How do you recalibrate the system - screen, controller ranges etc.? Does anyone have access to that procedure or know how to get it? I think I read from Dan before that the recommended procedure is to return the OASYS to a dealer for this to be done but given the OASYS is end of lifed and all are out of warranty, it would be great to get this document so we could do it ourselves.

2. Does this affect the Public ID of the system and therefore the authorization of purchased plugins?

3. How do you re-authorize your plugins once the new HD is installed?

The OASYS is more vulnerable than other ROM-OS based synths - our OS loads from a standard PC HD with moving parts which will eventually ware out; so we all face a re-install at some time and knowing the procedure is IMO important.

Kevin.
WWW: www.knect.ie
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, these are good questions, but I had hoped that if I could clone the drive externally, then when I insert it into the Oasys, it's already formatted with OS and Plugins, public ID, etc

But yes, it would be good to have some real answers to these questions.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to remove the HDD and mount it elsewhere to clone it.
In the past I've used this program http://www.miray.de and I found it to be excellent.

I'm sure it would work for the OASYS too, but no idea if this could cause the OASYS to be come unauthorised. You certainly wouldn't have to worry about calibration or anything like that.

Regards
Sharp
eddie g

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to install OS V:1.3.32 and save old sounds that I've modified, saved to the HD & reload them (if that’s necessary) after installing new OS. Can’t find anything on whether the current Combis that I’ve changed & saved will be changed or not when I install the new OS.

Can anyone help enlighten the unenlightened? Brick wall

After doing this I'll also be looking to create an ISO image of my internal HD via an external PC.
Keyboards: Hammond C2 w/ Trek II Percussion, Power amplifier & Effects Loop; 2 Leslies: Mdls. 122 & 147; TrekII UC-1A Universal Combo Pre-Amp; Kurzweil K2600 XS w/ Rack Mount HD & CDROM; Kurzweil PC88 with Expansion ROM; ARP Axxe with ARP Little Brother; 2 - Korg DSS-1 & Korg OASYS 88 (Serial # 370). Other Toys: 2 - Roland Keyboard Amp, Mdl. KC-550UC; Mackie 8 Channel Mixer/Amp, Mdl. 408S FR; Neumann M147 Condenser Mike; Avalon VP-737SP Tube pre-Amp/Compr/EQ
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Want to install OS V:1.3.32 and save old sounds that I've modified, saved to the HD & reload them (if that’s necessary) after installing new OS. Can’t find anything on whether the current Combis that I’ve changed & saved will be changed or not when I install the new OS.

Can anyone help enlighten the unenlightened

You most certainly should save a copy of your sounds to disk as they could very well be overwritten during the OS updgrade depending on where you put them.

The OASYS will reload it's factory data during the upgrade.

Regards
Sharp.
eddie g

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Sharp. That's what I suspected. I only modified about 30 combis. Will I be able 2 load just those modified combis back over the factory pre-sets from the new OS?
Keyboards: Hammond C2 w/ Trek II Percussion, Power amplifier & Effects Loop; 2 Leslies: Mdls. 122 & 147; TrekII UC-1A Universal Combo Pre-Amp; Kurzweil K2600 XS w/ Rack Mount HD & CDROM; Kurzweil PC88 with Expansion ROM; ARP Axxe with ARP Little Brother; 2 - Korg DSS-1 & Korg OASYS 88 (Serial # 370). Other Toys: 2 - Roland Keyboard Amp, Mdl. KC-550UC; Mackie 8 Channel Mixer/Amp, Mdl. 408S FR; Neumann M147 Condenser Mike; Avalon VP-737SP Tube pre-Amp/Compr/EQ
eddie g

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, where can I save future combis, etc. on the OASYS that the new OS will not over write the data?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will I be able 2 load just those modified combis back over the factory pre-sets from the new OS?

Yes you can use the OPEN option to load a bank or individual sounds one by one.

Quote:
Btw, where can I save future combis, etc. on the OASYS that the new OS will not over write the data?

Always have a copy of your sounds on the hard disk. You can store them in any folder except for the Factory folder and they will be safe.

Regards
Sharp.
eddie g

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again & Happy St. Patrick's Day! Beer
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for extra security, avoid St Patrick's day celebrations....

No, I meant, for extra security, periodically backup your files to memory stick or USB hard drive, as Kevin explained earlier in the thread.

jg::
rudolfck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: calibration Reply with quote

1. How do you recalibrate the system - screen, controller ranges etc.? Does anyone have access to that procedure or know how to get it? I think I read from Dan before that the recommended procedure is to return the OASYS to a dealer for this to be done but given the OASYS is end of lifed and all are out of warranty, it would be great to get this document so we could do it ourselves.

I have the pdf file for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: