Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

01W/FD sequencer/patch librarian? Cubase LE4 compatability?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron_vand2004

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: 01W/FD sequencer/patch librarian? Cubase LE4 compatability? Reply with quote

How to save sequences/patches from my 01W/FD to my PC? I'd like to load from the PC back to the 01W/FD too. Everything saved on 3.5" disk with Alesis DataDisk. Using a Windows XP PC w. Conexant AC - Link Audio onboard sound (no 3.5" disk drive of course), HOSA midi to USB cable, Cubase LE4 software. PC detects the midi-USB cable as USB Audio Device (Device Mgr./Sound, video & game controllers). Can't figure out how to get Cubase to detect my keyboard. Help!
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 01W/FD sequencer/patch librarian? Cubase LE4 compatabili Reply with quote

The simplest thing to do (and most cost-effective) would be to use a simple SYSEX utility. I don't know Cubase very well, but most sequencers have a SYSEX utility within. You just set it to receive, and then on the 01/W in global mode, you initiate a DATA DUMP (you can select what data, program, combination, or sequencer). Then save the file, and you can call it up whenever you wish. You can even save the SYSEX file embedded into your sequence file, even a standard MIDI file and it will send everything through when you load the sequence.

The above method won't be readable by anything on your PC. If you want it to, you either have to save the sequence from the 01/W as a standard MIDI file (it's either page 5 or 8 in disk mode I think) and load it into Cubase, or do a multirecord (there is an explanation in the 01/Wfd's Owner's Manual). A multi-record is tricky, and you can only record a few tracks at a time, but it does work if your 01/W's disk drive isn't working.

If you do decide to save the sequence to a disk, you need to take a 3.5" disk and put a piece of masking tape (or something opaque) over the hole in the upper left hand corner to fool the 01/W to thinking it is a DD disk. Then format it on page 8 in Disk Mode. This will format the disk in MS-DOS format so your computer will read the disk.

I don't know of any Editor/Librarians that will handle Sequencer data in the 01/W.

Also, most sequencers will refer to your keyboard as the name of the MIDI interface it is connected to. It won't actually detect the 01/W and realize it's a Korg 01/W. It just knows there's an interface connected and will automatically send MIDI data out and receive from the MIDI IN. MIDI is technology from the late 70's, so go figure. So rest easy, your equipment is working fine. You can usually call up an instrument definition so it will display program names in your tracks.
ron_vand2004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 01W/FD sequencer/patch librarian? Cubase LE4 compatabili Reply with quote

I have become convinced that the problem has to do with the lack of a driver for the HOSA Midi/USB cable I bought from Best Buy. It didn't come with a driver at all. Apparently this is an OEM version of a Turtle Beach Midi/USB cable. I tried the TB driver for Windows and unfortunately it didn't detect the HOSA cable as a midi device. However, it looks like this is the missing ingredient for proper communication between my 01Wfd and my PC. If anyone has access to such a driver, let me know! Been searching the Internet in vain so far & will contact HOSA asap.

Gargamel314 wrote:
The simplest thing to do (and most cost-effective) would be to use a simple SYSEX utility. I don't know Cubase very well, but most sequencers have a SYSEX utility within. You just set it to receive, and then on the 01/W in global mode, you initiate a DATA DUMP (you can select what data, program, combination, or sequencer). Then save the file, and you can call it up whenever you wish. You can even save the SYSEX file embedded into your sequence file, even a standard MIDI file and it will send everything through when you load the sequence.

The above method won't be readable by anything on your PC. If you want it to, you either have to save the sequence from the 01/W as a standard MIDI file (it's either page 5 or 8 in disk mode I think) and load it into Cubase, or do a multirecord (there is an explanation in the 01/Wfd's Owner's Manual). A multi-record is tricky, and you can only record a few tracks at a time, but it does work if your 01/W's disk drive isn't working.

If you do decide to save the sequence to a disk, you need to take a 3.5" disk and put a piece of masking tape (or something opaque) over the hole in the upper left hand corner to fool the 01/W to thinking it is a DD disk. Then format it on page 8 in Disk Mode. This will format the disk in MS-DOS format so your computer will read the disk.

I don't know of any Editor/Librarians that will handle Sequencer data in the 01/W.

Also, most sequencers will refer to your keyboard as the name of the MIDI interface it is connected to. It won't actually detect the 01/W and realize it's a Korg 01/W. It just knows there's an interface connected and will automatically send MIDI data out and receive from the MIDI IN. MIDI is technology from the late 70's, so go figure. So rest easy, your equipment is working fine. You can usually call up an instrument definition so it will display program names in your tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: