Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st Mac
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: 1st Mac Reply with quote

Hi all

Just bought my first Mac and have a major leading and impossible question to answer:-
Why the hell did I tolerate MS WINDOWS for so long?

Always knew Mac was a superior product - just never pushed myself to actually buy....

(Sorry - just excited.... Wink )

Pete Very Happy
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Welcome in the family!
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! You did not say what Mac you got! Wink

Couple of things from another Mac convert, get yourself this tool, use an external FW800 drive, set for SMART backups and fire away.

Do that before you make major installations, or other changes, or just as a regular backup function and you have a peace of mind solution!

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Interesting read:

http://macperformanceguide.com/

My own experiences:

Avoid sleep mode at all cost when working on projects, it is not reliable!

I did not go for bootcamp or virtual windows installations, I just do not need any of the windows offers out there, not a sausage!

Have fun! Very Happy
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing_bear wrote:

Avoid sleep mode at all cost when working on projects, it is not reliable!

I'm curious as to what makes you say this?

I'e had my mac for just over a year now. I always close the lid and just open it back up when i need it. Modern macs actually do a PC 'hibernate' instead of just 'sleep' which means the current session is saved to disk, and it doesn't use much battery.

I very rarely turn off or restart except to go into windows or to install updates.

I had some problems once where it refused to wake up but it turned out to be some badly seated RAM.....

And Karmathanever, welcome to the world of apple macs! I'm sure you won't be missing your windows computer ever again. Wink
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not recommended, I found this confirmed by David Nahmani's experiences, the chap who wrote the apple training Logic series.

In my world, using a Mac Pro (2009) and a Macbook Pro, both make trouble after waking up, which might have to do something with the entire setup of external devices of course, I have a total of ten external hardrives, additionally 16 Usb, 3 ethernet, and 3 FW800 devices. So it is getting a bit crowded.

Of course the less complex a setup the bigger chances are that sleep mode is causing less problems. I avoid it like pest, and apart from that, I don't like the idea of devices using power without being used, I even switch out my home cinema setup completely at night, including sky HD box, no devices are left in standby mode, and it is convenient enough with a couple of multi switches.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the info & advice.

I bought the iMac quad core i7 (4GB ram) 27" screen plus a "time capsule 1TB disk" for "time machine" backups etc...

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Last edited by karmathanever on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

nice! Smile The TM is good for file backups. However, Super Duper, or alternatively CCC http://www.bombich.com/ give you a full system backup that really works. You could get a small portable FW800 drive for that, and also, it would not be attached all the time, only for backup situations.

I really like the 27" iMacs, very slick looking and enough power and most of all, space for 16 Gig Ram.

This is a good dealer for all after market stuff:

http://www.macsales.com/
aniljoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Mac world Reply with quote

hi karmathanever, welcome to mac world . I am using G5 2.6 ghz + 4gb ram
+ Logic xpress 8
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete !

Congratulations. Smile I think you will never go back to PC. Smile

Here is a link to some Apple Pro Tips. Very cool stuff here. Over to the upper right, you will see 3 links: Profiles, Techniques, and Pro-Tips. They are all fun. Smile

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/

Have fun !
Susan
Phunky

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete!

Welcome to the Mac world. You'll be surprise the Mac can do a lot more than what you think the PC can do.

Anyway, have fun with your new toy!

I've just bought my 2nd MBP last year, yet I'm still loving my old reliable PB G4.

You may wish to download this free utility software called OnyX to housekeeping your Mac.

Smile

"Ask yourself always: How can this be done better?"
shahab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pete,

I hope you're doing well mate.

I was wondering if you ever tried to connect your keyboard to the Time Capsule and share its hard drive through the network??

I am having difficulties seeing the hard drive connected to TC. Any ideas?
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought my 1st Mac (MacPro 12 Core) this past January, took a little getting used to, especially Safari but holy s#%+ I really love it. I like everyone else wondered why I waited so long, but then realized that the cost is what held me back for so long.
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I didn't get into Macs until fairly recently (about 7 years ago; I've been working with computers basically my entire life) but I still have my first 2 Macs (G4 iBook 12", 1.33GHz and a MB CD 1.86GHz) going strong (knock on wood). I have a new MBP (13", i7 (dual-core- odd), 2.8GHz) so I'm using 2 different versions of Logic among the 3 (Logic Express 8 on the MB and iBook and Logic Pro 9 on the MBP).

The cost kept me away until I bought my first Mac from American Musical Supply in the states and they let me pay over 5 months so it wasn't too bad.

I'm definitely a convert since I can run Windows and Linux (and BSD, and whatever else Twisted Evil) on my Intel Macs "natively".

Cheers!

Diego5150 wrote:
Just bought my 1st Mac (MacPro 12 Core) this past January, took a little getting used to, especially Safari but holy s#%+ I really love it. I like everyone else wondered why I waited so long, but then realized that the cost is what held me back for so long.

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept hearing that windows has closed the gap regarding music recording and that I was wasting my money if I switched to Mac but IMHO Mac is so much more reliable and I think is a much more superior product.
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Mac Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hi all

Why the hell did I tolerate MS WINDOWS for so long?

Pete Very Happy

+1 Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: