Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Editor Software is Poopypants.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thuggy_bear wrote:
b) is something that your home computer can easily do, should someone take a few hours to program it

And this estimate is based on your vast experience as a software developer?

thuggy_bear wrote:

c) the lack of this obvious and acceptedly standard feature which could be easily implimented on my computer

For someone who has admitted you have zero experience as a software developer I would sugest you have NO CLUE as to how easy or difficult something would be to implement.

At the time of the original editor design, the feature you are requesting may have been implemented at a reasonable cost. However, now that the software has been released, there could be a more significant cost to implement this feature.

I can guarantee you that if Korg has a controlled software development process adding any feature (including design, testing, etc.) will take more than a "few hours".

thuggy_bear wrote:

Is there anyone here who is actually saying that this would be hard? Time consuming? Not useful? Too hard to do? Unreasonable?

I would have to be more familiar with the application to say how much effort would be required to add your requested feature.

Only Korg will be able to decide if they think your requested feature is worth the money to implement.

thuggy_bear wrote:

Unreasonable?

The only thing that is "unreasonable" is your attitude, assuming what you want is an easy fix at practically no cost.

Should your requested feature been included in the initial software? Perhaps, but Korg obviously didn't think so.

I have no problem whatsoever about people talking about what features are missing on a product or software. I do have a problem when people's complaints are excessive -- e.g. stating the microSampler is worthless.

I am positive that any company like Korg would be more willing to implement user-requested features from a user who is respectful about their products versus a user who hysterically whines about how bad their product it.

Let me provide an example. If you were Korg, to which of the following users would you be more inclined to listen?

User A: I like features X, Y & Z in the microSampler. However, I think Korg made an error by not implementing feature B in the computer editor. I think this is important because...

User B: The microSAMPLER is crap, and the computer editor is crap. I can't believe Korg was so stupid as to leave out feature B in the editor. How could a company like Korg be so stupid? Everybody else's product has this feature. Korg should stop all development of all other products and add feature B to the editor now, especially since I am confident it would only take a few minutes to do so. C'mon crappy Korg!! Do it now!!!
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkrete wrote:
Dude, if it's really grinding your gears this bad then software may be the least of your issues. It seems like this product has caused you enough grief to warrant returning it or reselling it and using the money to get the ASRX you really want (I didn't type that with any anger and none of my fingers were at risk of breaking anytime during the typing process). Not everybody who thinks you are going overboard is a "fanboy" or "schoolmarm" who is defending KORG blindly. To add region looping or sample crossfading would probably still require at least some sort of firmware update on the MS (since it's more complex than just a trigger control feature which the MS is currently capable of executing).
Seriously, if you know another machine or DAW can do what you want then use that instead...that's basic common sense. The software is very basic, true, but not entirely useless. I still don't understand why you can't just take a longer sample of the organ (which you have at your disposal and could just play alongside the MS anyway) and not worry about looping a shorter sample.
It's like you've bought a snowmobile and you're complaining that it's a shittier 4-wheeler than the 4-wheeler your buddy has from 15 years ago. Different products do different things. The way I see it you can either learn to live with the workarounds (since complaints aren't always rectified by manufacturers), or get the equipment that has the features you want and not have to use those workarounds (logical, no?). Whatever you decide, please stop beating a dead horse...and remember, I'm not a fanboy, schoolmarm (who says that these days anway?), or in anyway affiliated with KORG or their subsidiaries (take notice I suggested using non KORG products).

Are you a programmer by the way? If so, perhaps you could find the proper venue for offering your assistance to KORG. Contacting a representative of their human resources department may get you in the door faster than repetitive rants and generic insults in this user forum. Judging by the amount of time you spent trying to recreate a single tone (seems like OCD behavior to me), finding this contact information shouldn't take a significant bite out of your busy schedule. If you are not a programmer, please read this post again...especially the part about beating a dead horse.

It seems that this thread, and this thread:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=323278#323278

have more or less merged.

Crossfades.
In the editor.
On my computer.

The combination of that, and for the Decay and Release settings to work on looped samples, and all of my dreams would be answered.

I'm not asking for a hardware upgrade. I'm not asking for better converters. I'm not asking for the mS to have different playback modes.

I do not want an ASRX.

Crossfades in the editor.
Release/Decay on looped samples.

Very, very simple. Very, very standard.

"It's like you've bought a snowmobile and you're complaining that it's a shittier 4-wheeler than the 4-wheeler your buddy has from 15 years ago."

No, it's not. It's like I bought a sampler, made 15 years after another sampler, whose lack of a very simple feature makes generating non-popping loops a four hour job, instead of a half hour job. Since the 15 yo sampler had all ready figured out how to get that to work with far inferior/less developed technology and without the benefit of a whole damned computer, it is not unreasonable to expect the same functionality in my brand new, $500 sampler.

It can do it. No one here says that it can not. No one here has said that it can not be done with a day or two of work. It should be done, because it would greatly expand the functionality of the sampler. For practically no cost, relative to the previous expenditures on the hardware and software on the mS itself.

Are you saying that you don't want to have Korg spend the time/money (probably less than $1000 in wages) on building an incredibly useful tool set, one that would save hours of drudgery? What is your point?

All I did was type, after spending THREE DAYS trying to get a three second sample to loop without popping, was suggest that there was better way. Why does this bring out every troll under the bridge? Did I hurt your feelings?
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:
b) is something that your home computer can easily do, should someone take a few hours to program it

And this estimate is based on your vast experience as a software developer?

Actually, based on:

a) ten years of working with and beta testing software for feature film effects.
b) actually asking two crack programmers with whom I share a studio.

MartinHines wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:

c) the lack of this obvious and acceptedly standard feature which could be easily implimented on my computer

For someone who has admitted you have zero experience as a software developer I would sugest you have NO CLUE as to how easy or difficult something would be to implement.

See above.

MartinHines wrote:
At the time of the original editor design, the feature you are requesting may have been implemented at a reasonable cost. However, now that the software has been released, there could be a more significant cost to implement this feature.

I can guarantee you that if Korg has a controlled software development process adding any feature (including design, testing, etc.) will take more than a "few hours".

I could also be hit by a meteorite. However, adding a freaking crossfade to their editor would not be an undue hardship for Korg.

MartinHines wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:

Is there anyone here who is actually saying that this would be hard? Time consuming? Not useful? Too hard to do? Unreasonable?

I would have to be more familiar with the application to say how much effort would be required to add your requested feature.

Only Korg will be able to decide if they think your requested feature is worth the money to implement.

What, are you Tupac? Only Korg can judge me?

Martin, if you don't work for Korg, why would I care what your opinion is? To the questions posed in this thread, there are really only a few relevant answers:

1) From Korg: "Sorry dude- what you have is what you are going to have. We have bigger fish to fry"

2) From Korg: "we can not implement release/decay controls on the microSampler, because those resources that allow us to do that in one-shot mode are being used to XYZ, so, do to the mechanical limitations of a low cost, portable sampler, we had to forgo that feature."

3) From Korg: "You know, what? The user experience would be greatly improved if we added the feature you have requested. We'll get on it, and you'll have it once it goes through our approval process."

4) From forum member: "The way you are making your loops might work, but you are doing it ass-backwards. I ran into the same problem, and here is how I solved it"

5) From anyone at all: "Why are you so anal retentive that you have to sample every single key of your old, crappy analog keyboards? Don't you have better things to do with your time?"

Unless you work for Korg, Martin, I don't have much interest in what you think is going on over there. So let the fact that you don't like my tone when I post, since my post is not directed at you. The guys at Korg don't seem to mind, and their opinions, at this point, are the only ones I care about.

Find another bridge to lurk under.
Conkrete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS THE EXACT SAME POST I SUBMITTED IN THE OTHER THREAD. THE REASON I AM POSTING IT HERE IS BECAUSE thuggy_bear HAS POSTED THE EXACT SAME COMPLAINTS IN BOTH THREADS. THIS IS A WORKAROUND FOR THAT COMPLAINT.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Cross fade your samples to your hearts content with this FREE software. You can simply export your samples from the editor software and manipulate them with this software then upload them to the MS with the editor software. If that still takes you more than 30 minutes to create a sample bank then you are just slow at making sample banks with the MS. It's that simple. Problem solved?

I've used this method myself to manipulate samples and create banks for the MS so I know it works and can be done quickly. These two programs can run simultaneously on my PC so I see no reason why this should be a difficult task for you...especially with the credentials you claim to have. Now can you please stop posting bullshit?

ADAPT AND MOVE ON.
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not repost my response to this, but for those following the saga of Thuggy Vs Those Who Do Not Like Crossfades can read it here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50403&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Conkrete wrote:
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS THE EXACT SAME POST I SUBMITTED IN THE OTHER THREAD. THE REASON I AM POSTING IT HERE IS BECAUSE thuggy_bear HAS POSTED THE EXACT SAME COMPLAINTS IN BOTH THREADS. THIS IS A WORKAROUND FOR THAT COMPLAINT.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Cross fade your samples to your hearts content with this FREE software. You can simply export your samples from the editor software and manipulate them with this software then upload them to the MS with the editor software. If that still takes you more than 30 minutes to create a sample bank then you are just slow at making sample banks with the MS. It's that simple. Problem solved?

I've used this method myself to manipulate samples and create banks for the MS so I know it works and can be done quickly. These two programs can run simultaneously on my PC so I see no reason why this should be a difficult task for you...especially with the credentials you claim to have. Now can you please stop posting bullshit?

ADAPT AND MOVE ON.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thuggy_bear wrote:

Actually, based on:

a) ten years of working with and beta testing software for feature film effects.

Great. It appears you have the beginnings of your own software development team. Just contact Korg (I would suggest calling them) and ask them if they will publish the SysEx specs for the microSampler (they usually eventually do this with all of their products).

Once you get the SysEx specs, and given your opinion the MSampler editor is "sh***", it shouldn't take too long for your team to create something better.

Given your "only an hour or two" estimate for adding the functionality you want added, your team can probably whip out a brand new AND BETTER software editor for the microSampler in no time. Two weeks should be enough time, no?

It's basically the beginning of March, so how about you coming back at the beginning of April to report your progress?

thuggy_bear wrote:
guys at Korg don't seem to mind, and their opinions, at this point, are the only ones I care about.

Of course Korg employees don't like your tone. No one, NOT EVEN YOU, wants to hear their products are sh**.

The few Korg employees who come here from time to time HAVE to be diplomatic to rude, disrespectful people like you, but I don't.

Last edited by MartinHines on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edit]

I'm just going to let this stuff go, since the very nice man from Korg asked us to. It's not helping anyone. Enjoy.

MartinHines wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:

Actually, based on:

Great. It appears you have the beginnings of your own software development team. Just contact Korg (I would suggest calling them) and ask them if they will publish the SysEx specs for the microSampler (they usually eventually do this with all of their products).

Once you get the SysEx specs, and given your opinion the MSampler editor is "sh***", it shouldn't take too long for your team to create something better.

Given your "only an hour or two" estimate for adding the functionality you want added, your team can probably whip out a brand new AND BETTER software editor for the microSampler in no time. Two weeks should be enough time, no?

It's basically the beginning of March, so how about you coming back at the beginning of April to report your progress?

thuggy_bear wrote:
guys at Korg don't seem to mind, and their opinions, at this point, are the only ones I care about.

Of course Korg employees don't like your tone. No one, NOT EVEN YOU, wants to hear their products are sh**.

The few Korg employees to come here from time to time HAVE to be diplomatic to rude, disrespectful people like you, but I don't.

Last edited by thuggy_bear on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thuggy_bear wrote:
Thanks for the scolding, Mom. It's, like, totally working.

Again, feel free to contact Korg to get a copy of the microSAMPLER SysEx specs, and have your "team" take a whack at building your own software editor.

Please do keep track of the total time your team spends and all of the costs in building your app, so you can report your results back to this forum.

Prove me wrong by whipping out a great microSAMPLER editor, and then releasing it as open source.

Given your stated opinion of the Korg software (i.e. sh**), I am sure that all microSAMPLER owners are looking forward to the release of your superior editor.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would like to see this challenge accepted by thuggy_bear, I really doubt KORG will volunteer that information...especially not for free and to an unsatisfied consumer. If this endeavor takes flight please keep me updated though. I would be glad to beta test.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3sleeves wrote:
I really doubt KORG will volunteer that information...especially not for free and to an unsatisfied consumer. If this endeavor takes flight please keep me updated though. I would be glad to beta test.

Korg normally (eventually) releases the SysEx (System Exclusive) data for their keyboards, which can be used to create an editor. It hasn't been posted yet (I just looked).

One forum member, Stuart Pryer, created editors for both the Triton and OASYS based on the SysEx information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: