Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open source?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thuggy_bear wrote:
xmlguy wrote:
DIY - actually means do it yourself, not do it for me for free. That's DIFMFF.

Lot's of people want free software. Not so many people who make software want to give it away for free.

I build fix guitars for the members of my studio, as well as do the visual effects generation. They handle the thornier programming stuff.

Oh, and by the way, why do you care what my friends/bandmates are willing/able to do? I'm not asking YOU to do it, after all.

I don't care whatsoever. As I said, I support open source development, and I've participated and used open source. Korg isn't likely to make an API for you or them, however. If your friends have the skills, have at it, as there's nothing stopping them. More power to ya. I think it would be more productive choosing a sampler that has the features you need instead of trying to bend the MS to do it.
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:
xmlguy wrote:
DIY - actually means do it yourself, not do it for me for free. That's DIFMFF.

Lot's of people want free software. Not so many people who make software want to give it away for free.

I build fix guitars for the members of my studio, as well as do the visual effects generation. They handle the thornier programming stuff.

Oh, and by the way, why do you care what my friends/bandmates are willing/able to do? I'm not asking YOU to do it, after all.

I don't care whatsoever. As I said, I support open source development, and I've participated and used open source. Korg isn't likely to make an API for you or them, however. If your friends have the skills, have at it, as there's nothing stopping them. More power to ya. I think it would be more productive choosing a sampler that has the features you need instead of trying to bend the MS to do it.

The ability to crossfade on the editing software that runs dual-proc tower is too much to ask for? Unreasonable? Not merely a request for a common and useful feature that would save hours and hours of drudgery and greatly enhance the user experience?

So- is your point that you don't want to be able to have a crossfade in the editor/librarian? Or is it that you don't want the software to be open source?
Conkrete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Cross fade your samples to your hearts content with this FREE software. You can simply export your samples from the editor software and manipulate them with this software then upload them to the MS with the editor software. If that still takes you more than 30 minutes to create a sample bank then you are just slow at making sample banks with the MS. It's that simple. Problem solved?

I've used this method myself to manipulate samples and create banks for the MS so I know it works and can be done quickly. These two programs can run simultaneously on my PC so I see no reason why this should be a difficult task for you...especially with the credentials you claim to have. Now can you please stop posting bullshit?

ADAPT AND MOVE ON.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thuggy_bear wrote:
xmlguy wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:

The ability to crossfade on the editing software that runs dual-proc tower is too much to ask for? Unreasonable? Not merely a request for a common and useful feature that would save hours and hours of drudgery and greatly enhance the user experience?

So- is your point that you don't want to be able to have a crossfade in the editor/librarian? Or is it that you don't want the software to be open source?

Regarding open source, I said exactly the opposite, at least to those who comprehend English, so your question is pointless to answer. I didn't address your other points, so I'm not going to respond to arguments or points I didn't make. You asked why should I care about what your friends/bandmates do, and I answered that I don't care. Asked and answered. You can take the meaning however you wish.
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkrete wrote:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Cross fade your samples to your hearts content with this FREE software. You can simply export your samples from the editor software and manipulate them with this software then upload them to the MS with the editor software. If that still takes you more than 30 minutes to create a sample bank then you are just slow at making sample banks with the MS. It's that simple. Problem solved?

I've used this method myself to manipulate samples and create banks for the MS so I know it works and can be done quickly. These two programs can run simultaneously on my PC so I see no reason why this should be a difficult task for you...especially with the credentials you claim to have. Now can you please stop posting bullshit?

ADAPT AND MOVE ON.

Nice to know that you post just for the love of it. Let me once again explain what the difficulty is.

I bought the MicroSampler so that I can sample the old, clunky keyboards that are too big/heavy/unreliable to be worth the trouble when I sit in with friends to lend a hand with a live overdub recreation.

If I sample one key from my Elka's leslie'd out, warbly and supercool organ sound, and scale it across the keys, the speed of the vibrato/leslie changes, speeding up and slowing down as move from key to key, in addition to the artifacts caused by what I'm guessing is the pitch/time transposition software. Whatever the cause, it doesn't sound good.

So, seeing as my commitment to excellence knows no bounds, I set out to sample every single key, so that I might better reproduce the Elka, in a convenient package. Perhaps a little OCD, but certainly within the limits of the hardware.

Now, in order to get this to work, and have a separate sample on each key that plays as long as the key is held down, this is the process involved:

1) record sample into Reaper

2) splice together a loop of not more than 5 seconds, due to MS memory restrictions in a time when storage is practically free (at least 4 g SD cards are $10). by the way, this involves:
1. selecting a 7 or second chunk of the sample
2. splitting the selection in the middle on a zero crossing
3. re-aligning the front part of the sample to become the back part of the sample, and the back to front
4. crossfade
5. test for pops
6. if no pops, extend back of unrendered loop 2 complete waves, so that the sample loops first two completed waved are duplicated on the front and the back of the sample loop
7. render loop

3) drag loop into Korg editor

4) use editor to trim off the first and last waves (as yet, the only way that I have found to reliably eliminate pops on playback)

5) send now functioning loop to microKorg via USB

6) repeat process for next key.

This is a lot of work, whether or not you think I am doing it quickly enough. Also, note that I have already figured out a workaround.

Note that I am not complaining about anything involving the microSampler itself- not gripes about not enough memory, that the a/d isn't good enough, that the keys are too small, that there are too many submenus. All I am saying is that if the software that I am running on a dual proc tower that is powerful enough to handle 32+ tracks of 44.1K 24bit audio had a crossfade tool built in, the process would go something like this:

1) Record sample directly into microSampler (because I think the A/D is actually quite good)

2) Trim and crossfade samples in PC based editor

3) Enjoy myself, and tell all my friends what a treat the microSampler is.

Again, as with a few other people who have been kind enough to scold me for asking for some basic, easy, and fairly standard functionality on the editor/librarian software-

What is your point? That a crossfade won't be useful? That Korg doesn't have the technology to write software that crossfades? That you don't want a crossfade tool, because it will make things too easy?
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, I have been told by those who would know, to reverse engineer software, which is almost certainly a violation of the EULA.

In order to easily write software for the microSampler, you would need to have an SDK/API.

However, why have you taken the time to contribute to this thread? Are you opposed to functionality? Do you have a moral opposition to crossfading? Are you offended by things that are enjoyable to work with?
Are you hoping Korg will see your posts, and not develop their editor further?

To summarize- I'm posting here because I would like to see Korg make a better product, which would, I would imagine, benefit everyone.

What are you trying to accomplish?

xmlguy wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:
xmlguy wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:

Regarding open source, I said exactly the opposite, at least to those who comprehend English, so your question is pointless to answer. I didn't address your other points, so I'm not going to respond to arguments or points I didn't make. You asked why should I care about what your friends/bandmates do, and I answered that I don't care. Asked and answered. You can take the meaning however you wish.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to get you to:

Violate the EULA, so that you can tell your prisonmate about crossfading until he's sick of it and makes you his bitch.

Get you to beg your friends into violating the EULA, so that they can assist your prisonmate.

Then you'll all have plenty of time to write your open source software without an SDK/API.

Saving you hours and hours of drudgery and enhancing your user experience is not one of my goals. Making it harder for you sounds like a good thing, at this point in the dead horse beating process. Crossfade that.
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
My goal is to get you to:

Violate the EULA, so that you can tell your prisonmate about crossfading until he's sick of it and makes you his bitch.

Get you to beg your friends into violating the EULA, so that they can assist your prisonmate.

Then you'll all have plenty of time to write your open source software without an SDK/API.

Saving you hours and hours of drudgery and enhancing your user experience is not one of my goals. Making it harder for you sounds like a good thing, at this point in the dead horse beating process. Crossfade that.

Way to be constructive. If you don't want to be part of this conversation, why did you join it?
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thuggy_bear wrote:

Way to be constructive. If you don't want to be part of this conversation, why did you join it?

For the same reason I enjoyed reading Don Quixote tilting at windmills. If you think you're being constructive by continuing to repeat your same point, you are self-deluded. Ask your friends how to debug an infinite loop.
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:

For the same reason I enjoyed reading Don Quixote tilting at windmills. If you think you're being constructive by continuing to repeat your same point, you are self-deluded. Ask your friends how to debug an infinite loop.

Conkrete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we get it. Your suggestion has been posted more than a dozen times. You have a workaround. Why attack other users? Do you fail to understand that at this point you are presenting yourself like a whining child throwing a tantrum? Maintain some integrity and present your request through more appropriate channels (perhaps KORG customer support, or technical support, or possibly even the KORG sales representative who deals with the store where you purchased the product). There is obviously no way to please you other than by KORG adding the specific feature you are continuously requesting. That is not likely to occur solely based on repetitive posts on this forum. There is a thread for such complaints that has at least one UK tech support representative listening. His name is Mike and I believe he even posted a reply to your questions regarding open source software in another thread. We are all users of the same product and I'm sure we all would welcome improvements to that product. If that was not the case then this forum would not exist. No one is conspiring to bury your request. There is simply no justifiable reason for you to continue insulting other users who share this forum. I for one feel that any validity in your proposal has been masked by pointless immaturity and a complete lack of respectful decorum. That being said, what are YOU trying to accomplish? Can you please be an adult about this and proceed accordingly in a somewhat productive manner?

Here is a link to the thread I mentioned earlier:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46676
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, I'm not attacking other users. I posted that it would be nice to have the software be open source, which then brought out every troll from under the bridge, very few of whom, other than the person who worked for Korg, actually had anything to say regarding the subject of this thread, other than I am somehow morally reprehensible for suggesting such a thing.

For instance, I haven't called anyone a "whining child throwing a tantrum", nor implied that some has some how lost integrity.

Also, I thought that maybe the Korg Forums might be an appropriate place to post. Crazy of me to think so.

And, again, what I am trying to accomplish is to see if Korg will release an SDK for their sample editor/librarian. If that wasn't clear.

Why do you keep posting in this thread over and over and over again, expressing your moral outrage? Why not just let the nice guy from Korg respond, or perhaps others who would be interested in seeing the editor be open source?

Why come and hate all over it, for no possible gain whatsoever? Other than, of course, the joy of seeing your own words in print?

Conkrete wrote:
Ok, we get it. Your suggestion has been posted more than a dozen times. You have a workaround. Why attack other users? Do you fail to understand that at this point you are presenting yourself like a whining child throwing a tantrum? Maintain some integrity and present your request through more appropriate channels (perhaps KORG customer support, or technical support, or possibly even the KORG sales representative who deals with the store where you purchased the product). There is obviously no way to please you other than by KORG adding the specific feature you are continuously requesting. That is not likely to occur solely based on repetitive posts on this forum. There is a thread for such complaints that has at least one UK tech support representative listening. His name is Mike and I believe he even posted a reply to your questions regarding open source software in another thread. We are all users of the same product and I'm sure we all would welcome improvements to that product. If that was not the case then this forum would not exist. No one is conspiring to bury your request. There is simply no justifiable reason for you to continue insulting other users who share this forum. I for one feel that any validity in your proposal has been masked by pointless immaturity and a complete lack of respectful decorum. That being said, what are YOU trying to accomplish? Can you please be an adult about this and proceed accordingly in a somewhat productive manner?

Here is a link to the thread I mentioned earlier:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46676
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thuggy_bear wrote:
Uh, I'm not attacking other users. I posted that it would be nice to have the software be open source, which then brought out every troll from under the bridge, very few of whom, other than the person who worked for Korg, actually had anything to say regarding the subject of this thread, other than I am somehow morally reprehensible for suggesting such a thing.

Perhaps you should re-read ALL of your posts regarding the microSAMPLER.

OPEN SOURCE THREAD
Your original post: "Would Korg ever release the software as open source"?

My response: "No. They spent money developing the software so they aren't going to turn around and provide the source code to the general public."

That was a legitimate answer (even if you are incapable of understanding why).

Your response: "Thanks, though, for your well thought out and constructive criticism."

EDITOR THREAD

Your posts:
-- "Editor software is sh***", modified to "Editor software is Poopypants".
-- "Thanks Korg. Really awesome stuff you have here" (dripping with sarcasm"
-- "it doesn't do the job that is the single, express purpose..."

Given your big 30 posts on this forum, compared to my 2,000+ posts, AND given your inability to be respectful towards Korg, I think we both know who is the troll.

As far as I can see, you WHOLE contribution to this forum has been nothing but to WHINE about what is missing from the microSAMPLER.
thuggy_bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a misprint in your quote, which I'm sure is unintentional. The full response is:

"No.

They spent money developing the software so they aren't going to turn around and provide the source code to the general public."

Since you don't work for Korg, I'm not sure how valuable you opinion is towards their corporate policy. Also, your tone (since you seem to be so concerned with tone) is condescending, especially when you have no inside knowledge. Indignant, even.

Now, what possible reason could you have to post the response, as you have no pertinent information as to whether or not they will release their own code? What possible constructive purpose could it serve?

Clearly, yet another person who just likes to see his comments posted, regardless of whether or not they are actually helpful.

So get over it, and let the guys from Korg answer (or not answer) my hopes for open source. Keep your moral indignation to yourself.

MartinHines wrote:
thuggy_bear wrote:

Perhaps you should re-read ALL of your posts regarding the microSAMPLER.

OPEN SOURCE THREAD
Your original post: "Would Korg ever release the software as open source"?

My response: "No. developing the software so they aren't going to turn around and provide the source code to the general public."

That was a legitimate answer (even though you fail to understand why)

Your response: "Thanks, though, for your well thought out and constructive criticism."

EDITOR THREAD

Your posts:
-- "Editor software is sh***", modified to "Editor software is Poopypants".
-- "Thanks Korg. Really awesome stuff you have here"
-- "it doesn't do the job that is the single, express purpose

Given your big 30 posts on this forum, compared to my 2,000+ posts, AND given your inability to be respectful towards Korg, I think we both know who is the troll (p.s. it is you).
Themaktima

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have curiously followed this discussion for a while. What I donīt get is this: Why are customers defending the interests of the company instead of the customersī (their own) interests here?
If Korg wants to justify why this and that feature some (or many?) users would have expected hasnīt been built in (be it in the software or the hardware), this is the place to do it. If they donīt respond, itīs not a customer friendly gesture in my opinion. If they are able to improve their product, fine. If they donīt take either of these actions, they might find their sales dropping.

To be honest, they donīt have the need to react as long as they have such faithful customers. I find this strange. Is it that some Korg users have to convince themselves that their decision to buy a specific Korg product has been right? Why is criticizing the respective product taken as a personal insult?

Maybe thuggy bear has been rather harsh in his criticism, but basically i feel heīs on the right track defending his own interest versus Korg. Heīs the customer, no?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: