Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand New Firmware Upgrade! Receive Note Off Velocity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phinland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Brand New Firmware Upgrade! Receive Note Off Velocity Reply with quote

I use a fully expanded Triton Rack as my main workhorse, controlled from a Sequential Prophet T8. The T8 sends out both Polyphinic Aftertouch and Note Off Velocity, but while the Rack responds to the PolyAT, it ignores Note Off Velocity.

For those of you who don't know, Note Off Velocity measures how fast you *release* the key, and is a supremely musical feature because it allows you to control the release characteristics of each individual note by how you let it go. This is just great for strings, vibes, piano, synth...

To draw a very rough analogy, PolyAT is to ChannelAT what NoteOffvel is to damper pedal.

I understand that implementing NoteOffVel recognition in the Rack's MIDI Spec would be a relativity simple firmware tweak, and I have already contacted Korg UK about this.

They said that they MIGHT do the upgrade, despite the unit now being discontinued IF ENOUGH PEOPLE EXPRESS AN INTEREST IN THE FEATURE.

Therefore, could I just guage your thoughts?

Remember that...

* This is an incredibly musical tool--if you've used it you know, if you haven't, try it if you can, and NoteOffVel is the only way to do it

* ALL DAWs (Logic, Cubase, Tools, Nuendo, Ableton, DP et al.) can send out and receive NoteOffVel

* The ENTIRE range of Roland rack units receive both PolyAT and Note Off Velocity (Fantom XR, V-Synth XT, the whole JV range and the whole XV range)

* A huge range of controller keyboards send out Note Off velocity (CME VX series and UF series 5/6/7/8/50/60/70/80, the new Fender Rhodes Mk7, Kawai MP8II, VAX77, Kurzweill MIDIBoard, PC3X, SP3, Roland A90, A80, RD-300, RD-700, Novation X-Station, Sequential Prophet T8, Yamaha CP33 and CP300, and several others)

Whatdyathink guys?

Remember, the more who say they would use this and consider it an important addition, the more likely Korg are to make it happen...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: