Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA System vs. Keyboard Amp - The debate rattles on...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigalan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: PA System vs. Keyboard Amp - The debate rattles on... Reply with quote

Hey fellow Korgians,

Does anyone have experience with Korg keyboards while running through either the Yamaha Stage Pas 300/500, Mackie SRM, or through a traynor K4?

I'm thinking that a small PA is the way to go for best freq range and power. Will be used in small/medium venues so this will often be used as a keyboard amp, not just monitors. Clarity and power are two most important factors for me.

Let me know any thoughts...comments...experiences?

Thank You for any responses!!!
buckyboyns

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: PA SV1 Reply with quote

Hi , I used both SV-1 and Yamaha 300 spa. It has with very good clear sound.
miket156

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: PA vs. KB amp Reply with quote

This has been debated forever. Personally, KB amps don't cut it for me. "Most" KB's use stereo samples, and "most" KB amps are mono. Of course, there are exceptions to both, but you need to find out what kind of samples your KB of choice has before buying a KB amp, only to be disappointed in the sound. One other thing to consider is how accurate can you shape the sound in different environments with a "3 band EQ" when compared to a separate component PA system that has a 31 band EQ. Usually, you can only increase different frequencies on a "3 band EQ" and cannot reduce unwanted frequencies. An example of where that would be important is in rooms where there is nothing to absorb the sound.

Most modern night clubs have that "Industrial" look, no carpeting, and often times no sound proofing. The sound bounces everywhere and helps induce feedback on your microphones, and boominess on your instruments. I've played in that enviroment over the years and the best way to get rid of the "hollow" sound is to reduce or eliminate the band at 250 hz. That usually eliminates the problem of "bad" frequencies while allowing other frequencies to come throughfor a fatter sound.

I'm not a big fan of the Yamaha little PA, its not quite robust enough for anything other than playing in maybe your bedroom. You don't have to spend a fortune on a PA, but if you don't buy something with enough watts of power and quality speaker cabinets, as well as a decent stereo EQ and a small mixer, you will be throwing money away. Oh, and don't forget a separate power amp!

Now, if you only plan to have a practice amp and you are satisified with the mono samples on your practice piano, I understand the K4 is a decent KB amp. Don't expect miracles, but if you buy a small practice amp for daily use, then you can save up for a decent PA system that will last for years. If you have trouble with one piece in a individual component PA, you can swap out pieces or replace them with higher quality ones as time goes on. I have a Yamaha Power amp that is 30 years old and it still works fine. I have several mixers that are almost as old and work fine. Buy right and buy only once.

Mike T.
jemccarty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PA vs. KB amp Reply with quote

I use the Traynor K4 amp. It is very good. Having two channels helps with the phase problems with most stereo samples. Here is a trick to make it sound better:

If you PA is stereo, take the stereo outs from the K4 to the PA and pan them hard left and right. Unless you are using the PA for your entire sound (like a large venue), just a a little bit of the keyboard to the PA, it will really "widen" the sound.

If you really want stereo, get two reasonably sized self powered PA cabinets. The QSC k8 and k10 are great for this, but expensive.

But, be aware, in most clubs, stereo is wasted. The acoustics defeat it and the crowd doesn't notice/appreciate it.

Jim

miket156 wrote:
This has been debated forever. Personally, KB amps don't cut it for me. "Most" KB's use stereo samples, and "most" KB amps are mono. Of course, there are exceptions to both, but you need to find out what kind of samples your KB of choice has before buying a KB amp, only to be disappointed in the sound. One other thing to consider is how accurate can you shape the sound in different environments with a "3 band EQ" when compared to a separate component PA system that has a 31 band EQ. Usually, you can only increase different frequencies on a "3 band EQ" and cannot reduce unwanted frequencies. An example of where that would be important is in rooms where there is nothing to absorb the sound.

Most modern night clubs have that "Industrial" look, no carpeting, and often times no sound proofing. The sound bounces everywhere and helps induce feedback on your microphones, and boominess on your instruments. I've played in that enviroment over the years and the best way to get rid of the "hollow" sound is to reduce or eliminate the band at 250 hz. That usually eliminates the problem of "bad" frequencies while allowing other frequencies to come throughfor a fatter sound.

I'm not a big fan of the Yamaha little PA, its not quite robust enough for anything other than playing in maybe your bedroom. You don't have to spend a fortune on a PA, but if you don't buy something with enough watts of power and quality speaker cabinets, as well as a decent stereo EQ and a small mixer, you will be throwing money away. Oh, and don't forget a separate power amp!

Now, if you only plan to have a practice amp and you are satisified with the mono samples on your practice piano, I understand the K4 is a decent KB amp. Don't expect miracles, but if you buy a small practice amp for daily use, then you can save up for a decent PA system that will last for years. If you have trouble with one piece in a individual component PA, you can swap out pieces or replace them with higher quality ones as time goes on. I have a Yamaha Power amp that is 30 years old and it still works fine. I have several mixers that are almost as old and work fine. Buy right and buy only once.

Mike T.
craigalan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Stagepas 500 and compared it side by side to a Traynor K4 with my SV-1. I will without question keep the Stagepas. Once hearing the stereo samples from the acoustic piano I was quite surprised how this board shined compared to a mono out. Clarity is the main word here. And 250 on each side provides more than enough power for small/medium venues in a full band outfit. I was skeptical at first, but this is a nice system for this board. Worth every penny for me. I know it's a constant struggle to find that "headphones" quality sound with EP's. This is the closest i've heard for a reasonable price. Just passing along one mans experience.
miket156

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it does the job for you, great! I've spent quite a bit of money over the years to get a decent PA for playing as a solo. I don't use the most expensive speaker cabinets for gigs, but I don't have to compete with anyone so I keep the volume down. I have a set of JBL cabinets at home and they sound better than the speakers I use for gigs, but they are hardwood cabinets (not plywood or particle wood) so they are really heavy. So the JBL's stay home.

I have heard a number of players say they like the K4, you just have to watch out for stereo samples in some KB amps. Stereo in a club is something of a waste for PA and KB's, but if you have stereo samples in your KB's, there's not much choice. You can always put the balance to the center L&R so all the sounds are playing the same on both sides and you don't get any phasing issues.

So, how do you like your SV-1? I think Korg did a great job with this board. Ideal for B&B sounds, light weight, and not so expensive that most of us can figure out a way to pony up the $$$ to get one. Smile

Cheers,

Mike T.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sen the subject of stereo versus mono discussed in many forums over the years. And so often the reason for dismissing the need for stereo is about how it is wasted on the audience. Well I have a more important consideration for my sounds and sound systems... ME!

If I can hear myself with good quality sound I play better. And that benefits the audience. I've always hated the concept of running a great PA system and giving the keyboardist some old, beat-up monitor speaker with no consideration of the full-range of frequencies that a modern keyboard rig produces. I want to hear myself and the band even better than the audience - I'm likely the most critical listener in the room.

So consider that - it's not enough to just hear yourself - you want to get a sound that inspires you and makes you play better.

With a stereo setup I set things up so I'm in the sweet spot. I can't imagine playing any other way.

Regards,

Jerry
craigalan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry hit the nail on the head. Once you play in a live outfit and are situated in the stereo sweet spot, it is hard to go back to anything lesser. I have just discovered how much of a difference it makes and will play with the Stereo PA rig for all my gigs from now on. Actually, my band mates also noticed the difference instantly as well and claim to hear me much better now.

As for the SV-1, it has been an excellent gig companion as of yet. The rhodes and acoustic piano, in my opinion, have the electro 3 beat. However, it is clear that the Nord is superior for anything B3 related. The faceplate of the SV-1 is so easy to use and makes for effortless gigging when a sound change is quickly needed. Also, it's solid and feels well built. If lost or stolen, I would without question buy another. Also, Korg responded very well to early consumer critiques and were quick to update and fix some of the early bugs.
craigalan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juat a quick additional note. In all fairness, I thought the K4 was killer and no doubt one of the better choices for a keyboard amp. I can undertand why these are popular items. But, try the stereo PA route and you will find a world of earthly sonic delights awaiting you.
miket156

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
by Craigalan:

As for the SV-1, it has been an excellent gig companion as of yet. The rhodes and acoustic piano, in my opinion, have the electro 3 beat. However, it is clear that the Nord is superior for anything B3 related.

Keep in mind that the SV-1 is focused on electro-mechanical pianos. I recall that Jerry said in a post somewhere that Korg did not make a major consideration to organ on the SV-1, it has a weighted KB. Most organ purists don't want a weighted KB for organ sounds anyway. Personally, having some decent organ sounds in addition to some great Piano and Rhodes sounds is a bonus for some players that don't use a lot of organ sounds in their tunes, or already have a clonewheel for organ sounds. The Nord Electro's primary focus has traditionally been organ sounds. The non weighted KB speaks to that from the get go. I also heard the Rhodes sounds on the NE2 and you have to play those on a non-weighted KB. Can't have it both ways. Anyway, I don't know how the NE3 KB action is, but the NE2 action was cheezy.

Mike T.
adan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Traynor K4 for a long time and it was a workhorse. Doesn't provide alot of stereo separation, so don't be oversold on the stereo aspect of it. However, as I now am always going to a PA when with a band, I switched to the Traynor K1. I have two of them, for when I want a stereo set up in a small room. Use just one when I only need a stage monitor and it performs admirably. Takes a stereo signal and sums to mono, so at least you have the full sound, no phasing issues. The K4 is a little too heavy and bulky for me to be moving around when I don't need that much power.

Completely off topic, I discovered a new virtue of the SV-1 the other night. I was playing my other keyboard, a Yamaha S70XS, and practicing late at night with headphones, as I often do. My girlfriend came in and said the thump-thumping was keeping her awake. I didn't believe it. Traded places with her, me in the bedroom and her in my studio silently thumping the keys S70XS. Whoa, that thing is loud. Told her to switch to playing the SV-1, which is set up right next to it. What a difference. The SV-1 action is like cat paws on carpet.
miket156

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adan:

My Motif ES8 KB is pretty noisy as well. I didn't realize it was so noisy until I was doing a video demo at a fairly low volume and you could hear the keys clicking away as I was playing. I guess that gives me an added excuse for playing ROCK music until I'm pushin' daisies!

Cheers,

Mike T.
The Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of comments:

* I have had very good results playing the SV-1 through a Motion Sound KP-500sn stereo keyboard amp - nice full tone and plenty of power. Pricey but if you like the idea of bringing one keyboard and one amp to a gig this will do the job.

* while the SV-1 does have graded hammer action there is a touch option which makes all the velocities equal like on an organ, which makes playing organ sounds on the SV-1 easier. The touch settings can be saved along with the sound as a Favorite so you can have normal piano-action with the pianos and more organ-like settings for the organs.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Editor you can adjust the Touch setting for EVERY sound, saving them to all locations, not just the Favorites. Check out Rich's new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o_J4vde1nk

Regards,

Jerry
Korg Guy[/url]
Dave Ferris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had very good results this past weekend using the Motion Sound KP-200.

On my other Digital pianos and synths (S90, CP300 & P120) the results weren't has good. However for whatever reason the SV-1 and the Motion Sound seem to match up better.

I also just bought a pair of higher end pro audio speakers...the RCF TT08As.
Very light weight, great detail and definition like a studio monitor.

2005 NY Steinway D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: