Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Korg ever make a 61 key sampler keyboard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure the two are mutually exclusive.

I agree. If I'm a samplist by function then I want something with PADS as the main interface and not a few sprinkled along the surface (M3). I'm not playing the keys mostly; I'm banging away on beats and sampling Loops (microSAMPLER).

If I'm a player, then I'm using the keys and only so often triggering drum hits using whatever pads are available (M3).

If I'm heavy into the live aspect, then I want a groovebox. Pads, sampling and a VERY VERY fast sequencer (usually step is preferred).
That's the realm of the Electribes...

A dream sampler is a WORKSTATION that's comfortable in the studio and small/light enough to use live, but at the same time um..small enough to fit in with a live DJ set? Impossible, simply based on size limitations.

The Elektron Machinedrum had the removable drum module and keyboard for both situations.

The best compromise from korg that I can imagine is a `49 key microSAMPLER49- with pads, but I don't think any of us really want those M3/nanoPad type pads. Bigger, softer and much more sensitive pads are in order. The Loop system of the microSAMPLER may need some work to really be a live instrument. And someone who actually makes music (from beats) needs to be involved to help map out a simple workflow to go from Instant Fun to Finished Track.

Other than that, that same person needs to tell KORG to stop with the GrooveBox System of organizing songs, samples and patterns.
Use an internal BROWSABLE drive (showing FOLDER and the NAMES of samples with long $trings the naming convention) and let US organize our sound set(s). No more X number of banks holding X number of samples.

Most of these ideas are simple, but foreign to the designers or visionaries behind KORG products.
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Korg ever make a 61 key sampler keyboard? Reply with quote

kday wrote:
This 37 key 14 note micro keyboard is a total toy and near joke.

Stay the hell away from it and dont buy it!
kday wrote:
Why build so cheap and small?

For the poor and stupid like me, not for big shots like you.
kday wrote:
2. Where is the 61 key version that makes this great idea more than a toy attempt at creating the sampling keyboard?

We are not as great and as advanced as you in sampling so we use the toys like M3.
pedxing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the microsampler, and one of the first things I did was to connect it to my Alesis SR-18 drum machine.

I set up the MS1 to sync to external midi and set up the SR-18 to send everything it could to midi.

In addition to synching to the SR-18's tempo, I noticed that the pads on the SR-18 would also activate the samples on the MS1. In addition, some of those samples were transposed -below- what the keyboard on MS1 could play. IOW, it added another octave below the MS1's keyboard.

I wonder, if you had a 61-key midi controller and configured it to send the right midi commands, it might be possible to have the MS1 samples playable on all keys. I took a look at the (dismal) midi implementation document, and it looks like it recognizes 127 notes via midi.

Does anyone out there have the gear to try this? It sounds like you can do more with the MS1 via software beyond the hardware limits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: