Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Buying an Oasys, Have a Few Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Considering Buying an Oasys, Have a Few Questions Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a bit, reading as many posts as I can in the short time I've been here, would like to say a big hello to everyone.

I'm working on buying an Oasys 88 (I live in Canada)
Before I actually go and plunk down my cash, I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

The unit I'm buying has one owner who bought it new, and he's never registered it or updated anything on it since he bought it in 2008 from a local music store.

I heard there have been several OS updates since the inception, will I be eligible to update the OS if I buy this unit?

Also, which site is it exactly where Oasys owners register their machines for updates & support from Korg?

Also, this 88 does not come with any expansions, and I have a strong feeling I'll want to get every expansion I can get my grubby little hands on, how do I go about doing this?

As soon as I pick it up, I'll want to update it with the latest Operating System, and then buy the available expansions, but I'm not sure how or where to do either of these tasks, so your help is tremendiously appreciated.

My wife is a little angry with me right now, but hey, the new kitchen cupboards are going to have to wait, lol.

I'll most likely pick it up in the next 2 days, is there anything I should check carefully when giving it the once over?

Thanks in advance
CrazyFoo

* One thing I forgot to ask, is how many expansions are available?
What is each one called, and how much do they cost?

** When I update the OS, can I go directly to the latest releae, or must I update them in steps as each one came out?

Thanks!
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Considering Buying an Oasys, Have a Few Questions Reply with quote

Hi CrazyFoo,

Welcome here and congratulations to your decision!

I don't think I'm the best to answer your questions but I give an advice as a common member here. You can find many answers in the "Sticky" topics at the top of this Korg Oasys forum. Especially in the topic titled Oasys Resource List.

I don't think you will have any problems registering the Oasys at www.korguser.net and download the OS updates. Additionally to the great factory voicing there are many soundsets available from Korg, 3rd party developers and also users, on official websites and this site's Downloads section. At first I recommend to get the following free official stuff from http://korguser.net/oasys/download address: "HD-1 XPansion Sounds Vol. 1 and 2", "EXi XPansion Sounds", "Effect Presets".

CrazyFoo wrote:

My wife is a little angry with me right now, but hey, the new kitchen cupboards are going to have to wait, lol.

I hope once your wife hears how great the Oasys sounds she will forgive you. Laughing Write nice songs and dedicate them to her!

CrazyFoo wrote:

I'll most likely pick it up in the next 2 days, is there anything I should check carefully when giving it the once over?

The Oasys is quite complicated, it's not possible to make sure quickly that everything is OK inside it. Therefore I think you should have some kind of "warranty" from the seller - even if he's another person and not an official store.

As on other Korg synths, there should be a special "testing mode" also on Oasys to shortly check the keys, controllers and the screen. I don't know how to enter this (probably holding down some buttons during power up), other guys here may know it exactly. Try to search this forum for "testing" or such terms. There's a similar topic including re-calibration of controllers (a rare situation) here.

Good luck!
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Akos,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful advice.
I was browsing you website earlier and really want to compliment you for having the courage to service your Oasys.

I was getting nervous as I was browsing the photos, LOL

You did an excellent job repairing everything though
Need to add a disclaimer though...

"Kids, don't try this at home" Very Happy

Regards
Alex

PS-->I have some relatives in Budapest, never been there but it looks like a beautiful city.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Thank you! The disclaimer is literally there at the end of preface. Very Happy

Budapest is a beautiful city indeed. You should come sometime. Although I've been to 15 countries unfortunately haven't been to Canada. (But the leader/bassist guy of our Future Plant band lived there for 2 years!)

Best regards,
Akos
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
Hi Alex,

Thank you! The disclaimer is literally there at the end of preface. Very Happy

Budapest is a beautiful city indeed. You should come sometime. Although I've been to 15 countries unfortunately haven't been to Canada. (But the leader/bassist guy of our Future Plant band lived there for 2 years!)

Best regards,
Akos

Hi Akos,

I picked up my Oasys this afternoon but I don't think I have the nerve, confidence, or most importantly the ability to replace parts like you did.
That is very admirable, I wish I could do that.

Luckily, the Oasys tech for Korg Canada is in Montreal (3 hours drive from my house) so if I need any service at least it's close and I will be able to get it done.

The keyboard I bought today is in immaculate condition, I bought it from the original owner who purchased it new in 2008, and it looks like it came out of the box, there isn't a mark on it anywhere.

I am grateful to him he took such good care of it, anyway, he's a musician from Toronto, and a real nice guy too, that always makes the deal a nice touch.

I was playing it for a little while tonight, just trying to toggle through the factory sounds, and so far it sounds amazing.

I need to register it and update the OS as It's only loaded with 1.0.1 at the moment, but I'm having a hard time trying to find "Public ID".

Hopefully once I find this information, I will be able to register on the Korg site for support.

Regards
Alex
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex -

Just to add to Akos's pointers:

1. Note that the instrument comes with 1GB of internal RAM. This can be upgraded to 2GB of ram which is readily available for $50 or less. You'll have to open up the OASYS to install it but it's quite a straight forward job. I posted here recently on the best RAM to use (check that post) and the ram that arrived from Crucial was just fine. This extra RAM will be needed to install some of the upgrades you might be interested in.

2. Once you know your OASYS public id, register it with www.korguser.net as Akos pointed to. Once registered, you can purchase OS upgrades and EX's on-line. Some will be sent to you on CDROM, some are downloadable from korguser.net.

3. As Akos pointed out - check the resource list sticky post carefully - there's a lot of useful stuff on that.

4. The latest OS level is 1.3.3. If your OS is less that V 1.1 (for example 1.0.1) I believe you'd be safest to upgrade it to 1.1; and then upgrade directly to V 1.3.3. you can do the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.3.3 in one of two ways - either booting from CDROM or simply from a 1.3.3 update file. In any case both methods of upgrading from 1.1 to 1.3.3 are clearly described in the documentation supplied with the upgrade.

5. From factory, the available synths engines are HD-1, AL-1, CX-3, EXs-1 (extra samples across a range of instruments) and EXs-2 Sampled Grand Piano. When you upgrade beyond 1.2 you get a new EXi for free - STR-1 Virtual Acoustic Plucked String Model. So when you upgrade to 1.3.3 that EXi will become free to you.

Other EXi's and EXs's purchasable from Korg are:

LAC-1 (virtual analogue emulations of the MS20 and Polysix)
MOD-7 (FM synthesizer which can read Yamaha FM/DX system exclusive files - see the resource list for a collection of ~200,000 DX/FM sounds I've put on line for free download)
EXs-3 (Samples of Woodwind and Brass).

Note also the other purchasable libraries:

Sharp's OASYS ASSAULT (fantastic library of many instruments)
KARO Libraries - gigantic range of pianos, strings, vintage synths......

6. Pay close attention to Akos's recommendation to check korguser.net for the free HD expansion packs, MOD-7 and LAC-1 expansion packs and the 750+ 'Effects Preset Library' all made available for free by Korg.

What you'll discover here is that the expansion packs are awesome in their programming - in particular a range of electric pianos that take full advantage of Korg OASYS's substantial effects such giving 'piano body', virtual-pickup and virtual-amp emulations, all of which drastically transform the quality of the OASYS's onboard pianos towards, IMO, the quality of Korg's SV-1, for example.

7. You should also seriously consider joining www.karma-lab.com. This is home/web site/portal/forum of Stephen Kay who invented Karma. His forum is arguably more focused than this one, is frequented by OASYS and Karma gurus. It provides access to a wealth of tutorials and video's developed by Stephen Kay himself. It provides access to purchase his ground breaking software "Karma-Oasys" which when installed on PC or MAC connects to your OASYS and provides virtually infinite new capabilities to the Karma engine in OASYS. There are also excellent Combi-packs for OASYS also purchasable from Karma-Lab.

8. I'd also strongly recommend you acquire Mike Conway's OASYS tutorial DVD "Unofficial OASYS". It's excellent, and will cut through weeks of reading!! OF course you can also download the latest manuals in PDF format from www.korguser.net.

http://www.dvds.midnightsunent.com/

9. That '750+' effects library from Korg is absolutely wonderful - it takes months or years off programming and of course are all programmed by experts so provide great insight into using the OASYS's formidable effects.

10. Note also that among the many other features barely metioned here (such as vector-synthesis) that all of the original Wavestation samples are on board (though the OASYS can't read Wavestation programs) but its worth noting this.

11. Note also that the OASYS reads AKAI format samples, so there are plenty of legacy sample libraries that can become part of your OASYS (I particularly like Dirk Campbell's "World Wind" by ILIO and have incorporated some of their ethnic flutes and pipes into my default setup. Of course Sharp provides a perfect program for free of the EMU Emulator II famous 'Shakuhachi' used on so many iconic pieces by the likes of Enigma, Peter Gabriel and Vangelis.

Finally - recommend purchasing an external USB2 Hard Disk and do regualr backups!!

In a nutshell, as overwhelming as you current OASYS is, it's the tip of the iceberg to what you can add to it over the coming month and years. Those kitchen cabinets are going to have to wait.

Enjoy and - Good luck!

Kevin.
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

In a nutshell, as overwhelming as you current OASYS is, it's the tip of the iceberg to what you can add to it over the coming month and years. Those kitchen cabinets are going to have to wait.

Enjoy and - Good luck!

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Wow, thanks so much for that, your post is so helpful and informative, "thank you" doesn't seem to be enough.

If you lived closer I would take you & Akos out for a bunch of pints.
Can you imagine my bar tab after the 3 of us get done? Razz

I ordered Mike's video 2 nights ago, looking forward to watching that.

You guys will laugh but last night was the first night I had the Oasys at home, I kept waking up every half hour, running downstairs and turning the light on just to make sure it was still there.
Then I would stare at it for 2 minutes and go back to bed, LOL

You've all created a 43 year old baby.
Here's a photo of my Oasys:

Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Kevin, for this logical and detailed summary. (Maybe a new sticky thread would be good titled as "Tips & Advices for New Users"?)

Alex, I understand and share your feelings. It's usual in this club Very Happy. I will not forget the beautiful day when I brought my O home. It was a big decision and costed a fortune but I haven't regret it at all - instead, I love this beast now more than ever. It has its own character - some say "limits" but I prefer to call it "personality" Wink. The sonic possibilities are incredible and I think the best for a keyboard instrument. Do a favour for yourself and get high quality near-field monitors to enjoy it, tips here and here.

A good keyboard stand is also important, you have a wonderful one! Where did you get it? I like the rollers (in my studio they would be great - when I practice I turn towards the wall and the monitors, but when my band comes I must turn in the opposite direction to see them... Very Happy)

Public ID: it's easy. Press the GLOBAL button then touch the upper-right corner of the screen. The Page Menu appears, there is a "Display Public ID" command for that.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex -

That picture says it all!

What a beautiful stand, and a magnificent room. This photo is an advertisment in itself.

I have good news for you - four years after owning my Oasys, I still get the same feeling as the first day I bought it. I own many synthesizers, and there are few that I can say that about. So you have many enjoyable days ahead.

Akos -

Absolutely correct. Using excellent monitors (and headphones - I use the Sennheiser HD650) is paramount to giving the OASYS sound the breadth and depth it deserves. So much of valuing an instrument, and how you interact with it, is about its sound, and through excellent monitors and an excellent setting, the 'might' of the OASYS reveals itself. From the AL-1 antialiasing oscillators to acoustic and electric pianos processed through the excellent insert, master and total effects; the quality that is genuinely in there (a step above even the latest workstations from other manufacturers and Korg), is revealed. It looks like Alex will have a great setting to play the OASYS for sure.

Actually Alex - that's a good idea - I'll tidy a post in the coming days and ask Sharp and Daz to consider it as a sticky post for new users.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome, the help and advice here is invaluable.

I've registered under the same name over at the Karma Forums, so that will be a handy resource I'm sure, and once I get going and figure things out I will purchase that Karma software.

For the time being, I feel like it's the first day of French Class, there is so much to learn.

I've got to figure out a comfortable set-up somewhere in the basement where I have been relegated by a higher power, so for the time being I've just got the O set up in a corner until I figure out how I will create a permanent spot for keyboard, PC etc.

I bought my Oasys used from a young guy in Toronto who is a full-time student at U of T, as well as an aspiring musician. I can't give him enough props and thanks as his sincerity, helpfulness and kindness really made the transaction stress-free and enjoyable. He actually built the stand and was kind enough to sell it to me for a low price as part of the deal.

He bought the O brand new and has never registered or updated it, so I've got some work ahead of me in the coming days, but it will be enjoyable work.

I've also bought Mike Conway’s Video, so hopefully that should arrive here soon.

Here's a photo of the monitors I’m using for the O:
This is just a temporary spot until move some furniture around and get something arranged which will be more comfortable.

Also, here are the screen shots I took while trying to find the Public ID, but I don't see anything listed here:

Regards
AJ
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is much to learn if you want to know everything about the O. (This state-of-the-art product is a result of decades of development!) It can take years, especially if you have a daily job... But don't be afraid, you can still easily use it as it is now, and gradually explore it later.

The seller must be a nice guy, you are lucky having the instrument in perfect condition. And that unique stand...!

I see you have the printed Parameter Guide. Please check if the "Display Public ID" command is also missing in it. (I have a PDF guide version "v1.3 E5", the command is explained on page 742.)
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex -

You're right - on OS level 1.3 there's a 10th item on the drop down menu to show the public id, and also a 6th tab in global mode showing plugin info and the public id.

I'm not sure how you'll get the public id on your OASYS - note that on page 907 of the printed parameter guide it points out how to get it once you format the OASYS HD. Perhaps the Public ID is shown to you briefly each time you boot up; or if you boot from the OS CD inserted into the CDROM drive. I suggest you post a separate post here and on Karma-Lab on how to get the Public ID for a OS V 1.0.1 OASYS and I'm confident someone who knows will post the answer if they don't already do it on this thread.

Actually - while I'm at it - there's a bunch of other useful stuff over at Korg Support UK, including tutorial on the CX-3 tone wheel organ, a Producer Set which organises the factory presets in categories and other interesting stuff not on other Korg web sites:

http://www.korguksupport.co.uk/page.cfm?pageid=582

Kevin.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
You're right - on OS level 1.3 there's a 10th item on the drop down menu to show the public id, and also a 6th tab in global mode showing plugin info and the public id.

I believe it is available, when upgrading to OS 1.1. From the GLOBAL dropdown menu - last item, as seen in this pic:

MrT-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyFoo, you got a good deal on it -- I'm in Toronto and remember seeing it on Craigslist or kijiji or someplace recently... was certainly a lot less than I paid for mine. Enjoy your new instrument!
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I was playing tonight for a bit, oh man can a person ever get lost in this thing for hours!

I started just playing around with the sounds and next thing you know, 4 hours went by, where the heck did those 4 hours go? LOL

Do you guys who play live take yours to gigs? It's such a heavy sumbich in the case, I managed to bring it downstairs easy enough (using gravity to help me) but going up will require a little more effort. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: