Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Output-Level of the new Wavedrum: Problem solved yet?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Output-Level of the new Wavedrum: Problem solved yet? Reply with quote

I've read here somewhere in this forum, that there used to be a problem with a too low output-level of the new wavedrum (esp. when played by hand). Couldn't find this thread now.

I'd like to order a new wavedrum. Can anybody (perhaps from Korg?) confirm wether this problem is solved or not? And if it is solved: where do I get a good step-by-step description for applying the solution?

Thanx for any help!
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an adjustment option in the menu to increase the output volume.

Ex Korg UK Technical Support 2002 - 2010

Forum Moderator since 2011

When Words Fail, Music Speaks
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. That means, the problem is solved (or has never existed?). If so, I'll order my wavedrum! Cool
gurulogic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49855&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wavedrum

If you read through this thread you will learn that the newer Wavedrums ship with a firmmware that allows for a small output gain boost. All other units would need to be returned to an authorized Korg service centre for upgrading.
I got fed up with poor communication from my dealer to arrange the firmware upgrade and have resigned to pre amping the Wavedrum.
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the link - it seems a DI-Box is still the best solution ... Confused
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got mine yesterday and the out put is fine for headphones double the head phone just get loud. But into my krk powered monitors it is still very low sounding with both the KRK cranked up and the wavedrum cranked up. I wonder if I can run it through a pre amp. I have an RNP pre I use with guitar and a presonus firebox both have decent pres for guitar and mics I wonder if the range on them is wide enough for the wave drum? Maybe it's time to email the makers of the rnp.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Output Level Adjustment Reply with quote

This issue has, unfortunately, been severely overlooked in terms of setting the record straight.

As mentioned in one of the other posts here, there is a firmware update for some of the earliest versions of the Silver Wavedrum that allows for an adjustable output level. Your dealer should accommodate you if this is the case.

All the other Wavedrums (later versions of Silver, as well as all versions of Black and Oriental) have an adjustable output range. This is not stated in the original User Manual and was only added as a supplement to the manual after many of the Wavedrums were on the market.

Here is how to adjust the Output Level!

The The Wavedrum has two selectable output levels, Normal Mode and x2 Mode. Normal mode is the factory default setting. If you hold down the BANK button during power-up, the display will read "Set" and then either "1.00" or "2.00" You can then turn the value knob to select between the two output levels. "2.00" will be the louder output.

IMPORTANT: You then need to save your selected setting by holding the BANK button and then the WRITE button. Turn the power off and then on again. Your new setting should be stored. The only way to confirm the new setting (if you have changed it) is to shut the Wavedrum off, then repeat the steps of powering up while holding the BANK button. The display will show which output settings is active, 1.00 or 2.00. To play the Wavedrum, you will need to turn it off then power-up again.

There should be a noticeable increase in output going from Normal Mode (1.00) to x2 Mode (2.00)

If the procedure of holding down the BANK button during power-up allows you to see "Set" and then either "1.00" or "2.00" in the display, then your Wavedrum is up to date and requires no modification.
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small addition: One can confirm wether it's 1 or 2 via watching the 1-4 LEDs while switching on (= you don't have to hold the bank-button while powering up for confirming wether it's 1 or 2). When it's x2 all 4 1-4 LEDs will light up simultaneously for about 0,5 sec. After this (very short) intermezzo the normal loading-procedure continues. During this the 1-4 LEDs will light up too - but not simultaneously. When it's 1 the 1-4 LEDs dont light up simultaneously and immediately after switching on - but they will light up one after the other later on during the loading procedure.

All in all I dont think this is the optimum visual indication. I would have preferred a simple "1" or "2" on the display while or right after powering up. Rolling Eyes

However, what disturbs me much more is this quote from the manual referring to the x2 Mode: "Note that regardless of the position of Volume knob, some distortion may occur when the Wavedrum is hit harder" ... great - what a solution for a drum! Rolling Eyes Is it really impossible to have a decent output level WITHOUT distortion?!? Evil or Very Mad

I concluded in turning it back to normal mode. As the WD is used in a studio and not on stage I'm going for a distortion-free mode. On stage one might want to switch to x2 mode or use a DI-box. Exclamation
Panason

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2x mode did not improve the situation, but inrtoduced distortion on some sounds.

This is a studio instrument made to be plugged into a mixer, obviously...
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed any distortion but I do not have my sensitivity set low on everything. Maybe I am not listening right but I'm happy with x2 mode so far, close to10 months now.
gllryns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Distortion while using 2x mode Reply with quote

I got back to 1x mode since distortion level seems unacceptable. It works well with my Roland CM-30 Cube monitor. With regards to headphones, most of the ones I use (ipod, Bose Mie, Roland monitor headphone from my v-drums) would require a headphone amplifier like the Fiio.

My preferred option is to use the Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones. THey are powered by an AAA and I get good output without distortion, and in addition I get the hit sound blocked.
random

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: firmware update discontinued Reply with quote

hi, i live in japan and just got a used wavedrum, then discovered it needed the firmware update. the staff at the korg japan service center says the firmware update program was discontinued and that distributors/retailers were sent a letter by korg not to do the updates anymore. i spoke with the staff a little bit longer, and they said it's possible some retailers might have lingering stock of the updates, but they would have no idea who (in other words, highly unlikely to locate).

does anyone know if the update did anything beyond the volume adjustment? the korg website says the current second-generation models are "Sonically rich, programmable, and intensely sensitive, this 2nd generation Wavedrum is bursting with more than enough power and expression to create its own musical legend." clearly "more than enough power" refers to the volume change, and i assume there were technical improvements with sensitivity and mechanics beyond the firmware update, but does anyone really know what else this update did? or has anyone who got the update noticed anything beyond the volume issue?

and is the update still available in the US?

the drum is definitely usable as-is, but it's true that a volume boost would be nice as i'm a hand drummer. (in fact, i find it hard to imagine how you could work some of the expressions on the drum with a stick - it would mean really driving the stick into the surface and then scraping it around... weird...)

i noticed there are some programs that have a bit of constant line noise in them, by the way. but overall, even this old model is impressive. would love the new oriental version...
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things:

I think you're misinterpreting the description on the website. By "2nd generation" they're simply referring to the current version as opposed to the "original" that came out in 1994. The Silver, Black and Oriental would all be considered "2nd generation." The other descriptions they give have nothing to do with output issues, as most of that text was written before the upgrade was even an option.

One question though: Are you certain that your Wavedrum never got the update? I'm pretty sure the only thing that changed with the update was the ability to select one of two output levels. If you haven't done so already, power-up the Wavedrum while holding down the BANK/MODE button. If you have the upgrade, the screen will read "Set" and then display either "1.00" or "2.00." You can switch between the two using the VALUE dial. You then have to SAVE you selection by pressing the BANK/MODE and WRITE button at the same time. Then turn the Wavedrum off and on again.

Sorry if you know all this already. I just want to cover all the bases here.

As far as volume issues and playing with hands: The Wavedrum can be tricky like that. Some programs are just not going to offer all their secrets with hands, some will be lacking with just sticks. Each program is like a separate instrument. You really have to experiment with hands, sticks and mallets to get the most out of all the programs and find what works best for your favorite sounds. I personally find that playing with one stick and one open-hand provides the most options in terms of getting the necessary velocity and also having all the expression.

Firmware update: I find it hard to believe that the upgrade is no longer available. I'll have to look into just what kind of an update it was. Since there is no USB or MIDI, I have to assume it was some sort of hardware upgrade. But again, I'm fairly confident that the ONLY change it offered was the two output level options. Did they tell you exactly how the upgrade was performed? (swapping out a chip, etc?)

As far as line noise: That's not normal if it truly is "line noise." Could you describe it more clearly and tell us exactly which programs this happens on? Also, have you initiated the Factory Reset feature? If you haven't, that's always a good idea with any used instrument. Just keep in mind that doing so will erase any custom User Programs you may have created.

Hope this helps. Let us know!
random

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply!

oh, before i forget, here is the previous thread on the firmware update that the OP of this post was looking for: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49855&highlight=wavedrum+firmware

also, regarding levels, i think it's safe to say that anyone with a "real studio mixer" (like a mackie or whatever) will have no problems with volume of the line outs on the early models. it works fine for me with volume settings similar to what i use for my korg M1, without the line gain boosted or anything. but if you try using a mini-jack to rca adapter to connect the headphone out to a line-in on a standard home stereo amp, it is rather low. i had to turn my amp up quite a bit in this scenario.

> I think you're misinterpreting the description on the website. By "2nd generation" they're simply referring to the current version as opposed to the "original" that came out in 1994. The Silver, Black and Oriental would all be considered "2nd generation." The other descriptions they give have nothing to do with output issues, as most of that text was written before the upgrade was even an option.

ah, if that press copy has always been the same, then that is a relief of sorts. Smile i had interpreted it as "2nd generation of wavedrum wd-x".

> Sorry if you know all this already. I just want to cover all the bases here.

always good to confirm! Smile

> One question though: Are you certain that your Wavedrum never got the update?

yes, the first thing i did before even powering it on was download all the manuals. i did the factory reset and calibration. i realized i had the old model when i was unable to access the volume option. after researching online, i saw this indicated it had not had the firmware update.

> I'm pretty sure the only thing that changed with the update was the ability to select one of two output levels.

that's good to know. it would be great to confirm somehow, but there seems to be very little info on exactly what the update addressed beyond the volume issue, if anything...

> As far as volume issues and playing with hands: The Wavedrum can be tricky like that. Some programs are just not going to offer all their secrets with hands, some will be lacking with just sticks.

yes, i played more with sticks today and i was a totally different animal for sure! i like your idea of one stick and one open hand. will explore!

> Firmware update: I find it hard to believe that the upgrade is no longer available. I'll have to look into just what kind of an update it was. Since there is no USB or MIDI, I have to assume it was some sort of hardware upgrade. But again, I'm fairly confident that the ONLY change it offered was the two output level options. Did they tell you exactly how the upgrade was performed? (swapping out a chip, etc?)

when i spoke to the japanese support staff (this was the korg headquarters in tokyo - not a retailer or third party), i didn't think to ask details about everything the upgrade did - i was just trying to keep up with his technical japanese, basically, haha. but for sure, they stopped the upgrade offer. (i didn't get a cut-off date, either). to translate rather literally, he said, "the upgrade option was discontinued, and that program was replaced by the current revised model." (your basic corporate write-off of what they no longer support.) i asked if in the absence of the updates there was any kind of trade-up/trade-in program to the current model, and he said no. in my experience with businesses in japan it's completely possible that different countries have different policies, which is why i asked if it was still available in the US... but i'm not stressed about it. just nice to have if i could... meanwhile, consoling myself with the thought that the update only affected the volume option - true or not. <Smile

i have a friend here who also has one of the early wavedrum dm-x's, and he said he never bothered to get the upgrade, but now that i told him it was no longer available he wishes he had... but nice to have a friend around in the same boat. Smile

> As far as line noise: That's not normal if it truly is "line noise." Could you describe it more clearly and tell us exactly which programs this happens on?

sorry, i don't mean "true line noise" coming from the outputs. i mean there is a higher degree of "background noise" in certain patches. for example, when i first turn the drum on stock patch 98 has a kind of high pitch hiss constantly going (which may be related to the reverb setting? that's surely possible - i have a korg M1 and it reminds me of some secondary noise that might arise from effects being set high in there, too); then turn the patch ID down one to 97 and that tonal hiss disappears, but you can hear a very faint rainstick-sounding loop constantly going in the background; 49 has a kind of synth-steeldrum drone going on faintly; etc. i tried playing with the pressure calibration (i thought that perhaps the sensitivity was set too high so sounds were triggering before touching), but this was not the case and reducing sensitivity had no effect on these soft-yet-constant sounds i'm talking about. i assume these are just ambient textural aspects to certain various voices... i'm 99.9% sure this is all "normal" - but if someone could confirm, it would be appreciated.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to that other thread. I was reading through it and thinking, Why haven't I seen this thread before? Only when I finished did I realize it was from a different sub-forum altogether. Smile

Firmware Upgrade
I'm still curious about your first post where Korg mentioned to you something about the possibility of "lingering stock" of the upgrade. That makes it sound like they were actually swapping out the internal SD card or something. There is a local Korg service center nearby, and I know the tech has worked on Wavedrums before. I'll give him a call today and see what I can find out (although this particular tech only recently became authorized for Korg, so it's unlikely that he ever had to perform the upgrade himself. But I'm curious to find out just how the upgrade might be possible).

This whole thing explains another mystery to me. I was under the impression that the initial upgrade was done by the Korg sales reps when they visited various stores, but now I realize that all they were probably doing was checking the newer ones to be sure that the output was set to 2.0. I hadn't realized that the Wavedrums needed to be sent to a technician to get the real upgrade in the first place.

But again, if it was a digital file download of some type then it wouldn't make any sense that it would be "no longer available." Now I'm wondering if it's possible to get a copy of the latest SD card and simply replace the one that's in your unit. I'm also disappointed that Korg Japan was less helpful. If anyone could resolve your problem, you'd think it would be them!

Noise in the system
What you describe is definitely not normal. The sounds you are hearing makes sense in that those sounds are part of the program numbers you are referring to, but they shouldn't be making sounds on their own. I remember some time ago another user mentioned a similar problem, but performing the factory reset seemed to take care of this for him. Something is not right, unfortunately. Would a firmware update correct this? I really don't know, but it's possible.

I'll see what I can find out about this later today and report back!

Btw, if you want to see the inner workings of the Wavedrum and where the SD card is located, check out the videos that freestock posted here:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66749
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: