Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg X50 transpose 1 tone down randomly....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_G wrote:
Keererw, you may be confused about how a DI box works. The signal path from the x-50 is a line level, high impedance singal. A DI box receives that and outputs a balanced, low impedance signal to the PA (the guts are almost identical to an AC transformer). These are informally referred to as instrument level and mic level signals, respectively.

A line level instrument should always be run through a DI. Always. (You don't need a fancy, active DI, a $25 passive one will work great).

Hi Alex, although I agree about the usefulness of a DI box, it's not for the reason you describe. The X50 has low impedance unbalanced outputs, of 1.1Kohm or 550ohms for L/MONO. So impedance matching isn't much of a problem because the line level low impedance output is sufficient to drive the mic/line inputs of mixers. The problem is when there's a long cable run to the PA where a long snake is used, making balanced signaling preferred to get lower interference due to common-mode rejection with the balanced inputs on the PA mixer.

The ground levels between stage AC power circuits and front of house PA power circuits can be significantly different due to the varying distance of the conductors to the common grounding point. Some outlets may also have improper grounding or share the circuit with heavy inductive loads that can transmit noise over ground.
keeverw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Alex_G wrote:
Keererw, you may be confused about how a DI box works. The signal path from the x-50 is a line level, high impedance singal. A DI box receives that and outputs a balanced, low impedance signal to the PA (the guts are almost identical to an AC transformer). These are informally referred to as instrument level and mic level signals, respectively.

A line level instrument should always be run through a DI. Always. (You don't need a fancy, active DI, a $25 passive one will work great).

Hi Alex, although I agree about the usefulness of a DI box, it's not for the reason you describe. The X50 has low impedance unbalanced outputs, of 1.1Kohm or 550ohms for L/MONO. So impedance matching isn't much of a problem because the line level low impedance output is sufficient to drive the mic/line inputs of mixers. The problem is when there's a long cable run to the PA where a long snake is used, making balanced signaling preferred to get lower interference due to common-mode rejection with the balanced inputs on the PA mixer.

The ground levels between stage AC power circuits and front of house PA power circuits can be significantly different due to the varying distance of the conductors to the common grounding point. Some outlets may also have improper grounding or share the circuit with heavy inductive loads that can transmit noise over ground.

I get what you are saying, and I agree.

And I could see how an unbalanced signal could take on some interference, that could cause some noise, or hum or even some strange sounds. But how in the world could that detune your X50? That is what I am not understanding. Maybe the original poster really does have a noise issue, and needs a DI, but I don't see how that is related to the detuning problem. Detuning the keyboard is an electronic function that happens within the software of the board, and it can only be activated in a few number of factory-defined and user-defined ways.
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
steviedj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: KORG X50 Reply with quote

Thanks to the posters re unscheduled changes in the sound / key changes etc. I frequently find my X50 going into a kind of honky tonk voice which I can only shift by switching on and off.

MY Question is:

How do I transpose down or up a key at the press of a button (or two) please as I can't see a 'transpose' button.

Many thanks Laughing
marstar61

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: modification to stop the random transpose problem? Reply with quote

If I hadn't found this "Korg X50 transpose 1 tone down randomly...." topic, I think I would have gone crazy LOL:

Has anyone done the mod suggested in the thread?

I need to fix this and am curious about opening the case. Do all the screws come out, or just some?

Also about the thickness of the foam to ensure that the ground sheet stays in contact. I was thinking of cutting up an old yoga mat that is about a 1/4 inch think. Would that be sufficient?

I will search for other threads about opening the case, but I would be interested in anyone's experience with fixing this annoying problem on an otherwise solid synth.

Thank you,

ML.
SwAyMyName

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Korg X50 detuning fixed! Reply with quote

I HAVE A FIX FOR THE KORG X50 AND MICRO X DETUNING!!!

This may not work for every situation, however it worked for mine, and was relatively easy.

If anyone would like photos, I did take a couple pics of the inside of the X50 as that is what I have....but pics aren't necessary.

Step 1 - Unscrew all the screws out of the back of the X50 (they are all different sizes, some screw into metal and others plastic, I drew a picture of the back, and taped the screws to the matching spot, so once I needed to put it back together, every screw went back into the right spot...DO THIS!)

Step 2 - Carefully lift the back casing off, there are a few wires connecting the front of the unit to the back on the left hand side (be careful and pay attention as not to break these wires)

Step 3 - On the right of the unit, you will see the backside of the pitch wheel and mod wheel. This is where I had wires disconnected. All it takes is a little soldering job to get those wires back to their home.

There are 3 terminals per wheel(MOD WHEEL, PITCH WHEEL)

The terminal on the left should have the wires from top to bottom in this order:Yellow, Green, Blue.

The terminal on the right should have the wires from top to bottom in this order:Brown, Red, Orange.

Resolder the terminals, screw the unit back together and you are all done!!

Cheers, Jamie Rudrum

www.soundcloud.com/swaymyname
http://philosrecords.com/family/sway/
www.facebook.com/swaymyname

Gear-Korg X50, Microkorg, Micro X, Novation SL61, Rocktron TB 2, APC40, Technics MK2, DDM4000...etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: