Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Wavedrum Mono Output

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Korg Wavedrum Mono Output Reply with quote

Unlike many electronic instruments, there's nothing in the Wavedrum's manual to say that mono output will be provided when only one of the output sockets has a jack plugged into it.

I've tried the Wavedrum with various mono and stereo amp setups, including monitoring the stereo signal with headphones. So far I've found any stereo effect to be very subtle with the factory-provided programs. In fact, on some programs it is undetectable to my ears. Perhaps if I make my own programs, which I have not tried yet, I could create very dramatic stereo effects. But I don't see that as an important requirement.

So I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't need to plug both of the Wavedrum's outputs into my mono amp. That's good from my point of view, because it leaves the amp's other input free for another instrument.

I would be interested in any comments. Maybe I just have not yet worked out how to make use of what might be a hidden potential in the Wavedrum for glorious stereo. And would I be making a big mistake in concluding that I can get away fine with using a single output cable from the Wavedrum?
buzap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon

interesting point. Personally, I'm switching between stereo monitors & mono amp, so I've checked it and came to the same solution.

The usual patches - the "real" instruments at least - seem to be panned to center. So, unless you do some fancy panning or delay panning etc, it seems to be ok to use one channel as mono out.

best regards
Buzap
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike many other, if not all, Korg products, the Wavedrum does not have a default Mono Output. Most of the factory settings (maybe with the exception of some of the programs that incorporate delay) are panned to the center position so using just one output will be fine for most applications.

If you do any editing that involves changing the internal pan selections, then will you need to run the Wavedrum in stereo, using both 1/4" outputs in order to properly hear all the sounds.
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another strange Korg setup? Rolling Eyes

I stumbled over this too: I wanted to plug in just one cable because I needed Mono ... but couldn't find out wether to plug into the left or the right output. The manual doesn't give any information on which plug is to be used if one wants it mono. This is the first time I encounter a stereo instrument which doesnt have a mono output. Sad

Having read your comments above I wonder why it is stereo at all. Laughing
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add a bit more to this.

For recording purposes, and certainly if you are editing and "creating" your own sounds, the stereo effect of panning certain sounds left and right will definitely increase the overall sonic impact. Considering just how epic some of the sounds are, having that extra spacial perspective can only enhance the listening experience.

BUT...(and this is important)
For most live situations, the majority of drummers will have a few things to consider. Unless you are in control of your own live-sound, or affiliated with a major production that allows for specific requests to be made on a nightly basis, you will be faced with a few obstacles.

Walking into a typical "club" situation, you'll be lucky to get the extra channel necessary for the Wavedrum to begin with--don't expect to get two. If you don't travel with your own sound engineer, it is not likely that whoever is running the console will even be familiar with the Wavedrum. So keeping it simple is all the better.

Let's say, for the purpose of this discussion, you had designed some really spectacular sounds that involved some wide panning effects for extra impact. If you were given only one channel to work with, you would have to reset those programs and pan everything to the middle. Not a huge ordeal, if you had a few minutes to do it. But many gigs can be chaotic if there are multiple bands performing, or if you simply have limited time. So why be put in that situation? One other work around would be to have duplicate versions of certain programs: one with the panning set to center; the other with your personal panning effects applied. That way you could just call up whichever program was appropriate for the given setting.

Another thing to consider is that many live systems don't even run in stereo anyway. I've been in many clubs where the system is simply mono. I'd say that's becoming rarer these days to an extent, but it still exists. I would also imagine that this is different for different locations around the world.

It is not my intention to discourage anyone with this perspective. It just reflects the reality of live performance. The stereo effect of panning is the very least of what the Wavedrum offers. You are going to blow people away in stereo or mono!
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in studio environments the man behind the mixer often prefers mono-signals. He want's to create the overall stereo sound. If one delivers a stereo sound to begin with, it's sometimes more complicated to achieve a good overall result. Eg. great stereo sound-scapes might simply collapse in the mix. There is sometimes more control for the mixing if you create the stereo-effects during mixing. Wink
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point, Charlie! Very Happy
Panason

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a higher level to be achieved by panning hard left and using only the left output?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: