Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LFO filter control and pitch synchronisation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugizo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: LFO filter control and pitch synchronisation Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've been trying to put aside my classical way of playing keyboard of late and have started digging into the electronic realm. I'm sure my Qs are basic to some, hence the ease to make me happy!

Anyhow, here are my Qs:

1 - LFOs: What is the dfference between setting Freq.Mod AMS to Tempo + tweaking the frequency value and activating MIDI/Tempo Sync.

Take for example the typical "sweep" (filter frequency modulation) in trance sounds (e.g. C:000 Euphoric trancer). I noticed that when I use Tempo Sync I can no longer hear modulation when playing consecutive notes. How are they acting differently?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 - Is there any way to increase/decrease pitch intensity in a tempo-synchronised manner and is the keyboard limited to the -60 to +12 range?

And by tempo synchronising I mean adjusting the amount of pitch increase per beat (or unit time) and not increasing/decreasing pitch with incresing/decreasing tempo.

My aim is to increase pitch as close to infinitely as possible on holding a single note and that the speed of that increase is determined by the tempo.

Cheers you gurus, feel free to answer any of the Qs

*cross my fingers someone understands my blabbering*
Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller
Z3ta+, EastWest Symphonic Orchestra
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
LiPI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: LFO filter control and pitch synchronisation Reply with quote

Sugizo wrote:

1 - LFOs: What is the dfference between setting Freq.Mod AMS to Tempo + tweaking the frequency value and activating MIDI/Tempo Sync.

If you use Freq.Mod. AMS you can modify the LFO speed by Yoj, by Aftertouch, etc... what you set to AMS source. Usually it's not BPM depending usage.

If you use MIDI/Tempo sync, your LFO freq will "accommodate" to the BPM what you use in the song - and of course determined by the note duration setting (half, quarter, eighted, etc note).
LiPI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: LFO filter control and pitch synchronisation Reply with quote

Sugizo wrote:

2 - Is there any way to increase/decrease pitch intensity in a tempo-synchronised manner and is the keyboard limited to the -60 to +12 range?

And by tempo synchronising I mean adjusting the amount of pitch increase per beat (or unit time) and not increasing/decreasing pitch with incresing/decreasing tempo.

My aim is to increase pitch as close to infinitely as possible on holding a single note and that the speed of that increase is determined by the tempo.

I'm not sure you want that exactly, but...

For example if you use an UP arpeggiator, and the arp's notes feedback to the arp's trigger note, your pitch will be running up to the infinity by notes.
Sugizo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your taking your time to reply oldphoto,

1 - Yea, I got that far, however what really is puzzling me is the fact that I am hearing something else in there apart from the basics you outlined, I am obviously not paying attention to some other element. When I sync to tempo I can no longer hear the (in the case of prog C000) faster modulation that occurs when playing notes consecutively as opposed to holding a single note.

I guess my question can be narrowed down to: why am I hearing a faster modulation when pllaying notes consecutively and a slower one when holding notes - I have simplified everything: single oscillator and made sure LFO1 is not involved in the modulation, i.e. only LFO2 is acting and controlling these two different modulations. I cannot pinpoint the source of the two different behaviours.

I know what im saying might be hard to grasp by reading so if possible check it out on your Tr - sound C:000 Euphoric trancer, play a note and hold it then play consecutive notes - you will notice different filter modulation speeds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 - What you say sounds interesting how do you actually do that on the Tr?

I had thought of simply creating an arpeggio with increasing pitch but that is not what I am after since I don't want a stepwise increase in pitch I want it to be gradual as when you use the joystick or any knob.

I was wondering if you can configure sounds on the Tr to give a gradual increase in pitch simply by holding a note, and then of course be able to set the amount of pitch increase per bpm.

For example, I'd like to achieve this on holding a note:

4 beats = pitch increase of 48
4 beats = pitch increase of 24

and that this holds true for any tempo you set.

Is this at all possible?

Cheers mastaminds
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Sugizo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I have just found the answer to part of my first Q:

The frequency of the LFO is being controlled by the frequency value (obviously) but also by the Pitch EG as an AMS - hence the two different behaviours I was referring to.

It seems that when you sync to tempo, the AMS is overridden. I shall dedicate my evening to trying to understanding the mechanisms behind this!

Edit1: having solved the different modulation speed issue I have observed that when sync to tempo is activated each note you play begins to play the LFO wave at point 0, emulating the Key sync option. Is it not possible to sync to tempo without sync-ing to key?

Edit2: Relating to Question 2, the closest I am getting is setting the EG to control pitch but this only gives me an octave increase and controlling attack time with tempo, but this still is not exact.

On a side, can you not control the level of sustain or sustain time for the pitch EG on the Tr??
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: