Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Y mode question (Vector synthesis)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldcrest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: X-Y mode question (Vector synthesis) Reply with quote

Does anybody know what vector synthesis functionality the Kronos has - and how it compares with the M3 X-Y mode/OASYS vector synthesis?

(Just a bit of background on the M3 X-Y mode :-

The M3 has X-Y mode which allows you to adjust the relative volume of oscillators within a program, or to adjust the relative volumes of programs within a combi or song. (It also allows CC values to be varied).

This is achieved by turning on X-Y mode - the entire touchscreen then becomes an X-Y controller. The position you touch on the screen can either adjust the relative volumes momentarily, or to adjust and hold the relative volumes. (Movements across the screen can also be recorded and played back).

I find this useful in auditioning combis/programs and also use X-Y mode in performance.

I like the fact that in X-Y mode, the screen is colour-coded when you touch it - for example, dark-blue in the bottom right - changing to pink in the bottom right - this sometimes seems to match the mood of the sound.

I also like using the screen as a controller - as it is large enough for fine adjustments. The downside of this is that when X-Y mode is on, the touchscreen cannot be used for anything else.

I do not have an OASYS, but looking at the manual - I'm presuming the vector joystick is used for a similar purpose).
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, vector joystick does exactly that.
Goldcrest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Here is a link to some more info on the similarities/differences between the M3 XY mode and Kronos vector synthesis:-

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17715
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: