Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any way to test the SV-1's USB port?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r4dioheaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Any way to test the SV-1's USB port? Reply with quote

Hi there,

So in a recent post, I described my problems getting my new SV-1 connected to my computer. In a nutshell: it's not working. So yesterday I got on the phone with Korg's support, and they essentially told me that if I couldn't get it to work on another computer, there's likely a problem with the keyboard's USB port and that I'd have to take it into a service center to get it worked on.

I've since tried (unsuccessfully) to connect the SV-1 to a friend's macbook (different operating system than my ibook), and am going to bring it over to someone's house later to try plugging it into their PC.

If that doesn't work, before saying goodbye to my SV-1 for what could be a few weeks, I was wondering if you all knew a way that I could test the USB port to see if it is giving a signal. I've already tried using 2 different cables, neither of which work. However, when my computer is "asleep," and the SV-1 is plugged in and turned on, the computer wakes up. This makes me think that the computer is at least getting SOMETHING from the SV-1.

Any ideas? I very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jesse
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On windows you could check the device manager to see if anything shows up.

On XP device manager can be reached through computer properties:
-Right click 'my computer' > Properties
OR
-Windows key + Pause/Break Key (gets you to system properties)
THEN
go to the 2nd tab and choose device manager.

On Vista and 7, device manager appears in the list of further options on the left once you are at system properties.

Other things to look out for:
-do you hear a sound when you plug in the USB? (default is a upwards 'dong-ding' for plug-in, and a downwards 'ding-dong' for plug out)

Don't know if support told you this, but make sure you have installed the Korg USB-MIDI Driver package AND run the 'Install Korg USB-MIDI Device' utility from the Korg start menu group, to actually get the driver set up for your keyboard.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
r4dioheaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your detailed response.

So I had the chance to connect my keyboard to a PC and followed your advice. Looks like the computer is reading that SOMETHING is plugged in, but that something is not functioning --

When I plug the SV1 in, the PC made the new hardware noise, and a little window popped up that said "Unknown Device" and then described that the device was "malfunctioning." This happened both when turning the keyboard on regularly, and also when the 1 and 8 favorites keys were pressed to effectively turn it into a disk drive (to update the OS). I installed the Korg driver on my friend's PC, but even so, it did not identify the keyboard. I tried to manually tell the PC that the Korg driver should go with it, but also had no luck. In the device manager, it just read as Unknown Device.

Any other ideas? Has this happened to anyone?

Looks like I'll be taking it in for service after all... Sad

Jesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: