Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

have 3 or 4 thousand units ready as of release?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: have 3 or 4 thousand units ready as of release? Reply with quote

why can't these keyboard companies have 3000 or 4000 units ready for sale when they annouce thier new instuments, I mean its not like they're not going to sell them, just judging by the thousands of views of these forums, and by the fact these companies have been in business for decades speaks volumms for thier success and thier loyal customers, I'm always in the market for the next big thing to upgrade my rig,esspecially after years of gigging has a way of wearing down your equiptment, take kurzweil, they annouced the pc3k at winter namm 2010, and finnally released the pc3k8 in december, i'm still waiting for the pc3k6 or pc3k7,when you have some for sale, then tell me about them Surprised
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically companies work their nuts off to get prototypes ready for major shows, like Namm. Just because Namm is in January, it doesn't mean the Kronos is actually a finished item by January....

This is standard practice for all companies, all products, all industries Wink In an ideal world, the new product being launched would be available immediately after the launch, but this rarely happens.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only... they probably need to know how welcomed the new product is.

They need to know how many units they could sell from the first estimation and pre-order and then stabilize everything with manufacturing by increasing the production to a fair number without having tons of unsold units.

And, 2 and half months isn't that bad to wait for a new product... giving enough time to save some money Smile
Bach42t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it has to do with orders they receive from music stores and the fact they have to get enough orders to warrant a batch of keyboards being produced. Also, parts are not necessarily ready at the same time when something new is introduced, especially proprietary components, a slider or a specific circuit board. There may be some overlap (i.e. - perhaps if the Kronos uses the M50 casing) but apart from manufacturing, there are other aspects that have to be synchronized like the marketing materials, manuals and technical writing, the design of the box and packing materials the instrument ships in. Some of this is contracted and perhaps there is a factory in Japan that is building something else, not just keyboards for Korg.

On a side note, it is very possible that when an instrument is "discontinued" it may be an official ending of a product but the instrument may have stopped production a long time before. This may even be the case with the M3. There may be enough inventory available to sustain it without any additional orders to the factory.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, but korg doesn't have to annouce it in january if its not ready, i'd also been fine with them announcinmg its release in may when the unit would be ready for sale and I could go to my local music store and drive it around the corner once or twice.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to the days when the only way you knew of anything new is when you saw the add in keyboard magazine, and it seemed like you could get it that day if you wanted, the adds seemed to sync with an instruments release I guess.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thankful that manufacturers show and announce what is being relased. Many look to NAMM before their purchases. Even though it may not arrive for a few months, I am so glad that I didn't spend my money on something else.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jemkeys25 wrote:
I'm used to the days when the only way you knew of anything new is when you saw the add in keyboard magazine, and it seemed like you could get it that day if you wanted, the adds seemed to sync with an instruments release I guess.

Just doesn't work that way today in the electronic musical instrument industry. A manufacturer HAS to know how many units should be sold the first year of introduction. The way to do that is to show a new device at a venue like NAMM and get commitments from all the sales companies around the world before production begins. What if a competitor comes out with a knock out unit that will 'steal' all your sales away? You wouldn't want to be sitting on 4000-5000 units that wont sell. That would be corporate suicide and financially irresponsible.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be hardware. They are still tweaking the OS and patches and...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

A very good point McHale.

NAMM also gives the manufacturer an opportunity to get valuable feedback from sales companies and users on needed changes before a new product is finally released.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

That's what Access did with the Virus TI line when it was getting released.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they need this time between now and release to do a few tweaks to the os, then i have just one tweak
allow us to stream our own samples from the SSD
pillbug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies show new products before general availability in order to a)build excitement, awareness and demand with potential users, and b)get commitments (i.e. orders) from their current or potential new dealers and distributors, to plan the business.
Then they use that information to fine tune their forecasts (quantities and/or delivery dates, when possible/practical) and in turn make their commitments (orders) to the factory.
The fact of the matter is, no one wants to sit on inventory.
This allows everyone to build some demand, that's all.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: have 3 or 4 thousand units ready as of release? Reply with quote

jemkeys25 wrote:
why can't these keyboard companies have 3000 or 4000 units ready for sale when they annouce thier new instuments

Because it's a trade show announcement, not a sales announcement. Do you really think it would be better to skip the biggest music trade show, so you can announce in April, when nothing is going on?

As far as those ads in Keyboard magazine, most ads and articles are written 2 months before the magazine actually hits the stands.

Remember when Waldorf showed the Stromberg prototype? It never came out. Now, that was disappointing.

EnjoyRC wrote:
McHale wrote:

That's what Access did with the Virus TI line when it was getting released.

Correct! I pre-ordered a TI, which took close to a year after the announcement to come out. Ironically, that was the reason I ended up getting the OASYS, which I wasn't planning on getting. It was already September, so I asked the sales rep to switch my pre-order to the currently available O. I still ended up getting the TI. NAMM 2005 was the best!!
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jemkeys25 wrote:
I see your point, but korg doesn't have to annouce it in january if its not ready, i'd also been fine with them announcinmg its release in may when the unit would be ready for sale and I could go to my local music store and drive it around the corner once or twice.

Believe it or not, the customers of MI companies are the dealers. NAMM is an MI industry trade show not open to the public (for the first time they added an open day on the final day).

Winter NAMM is where dealers see products on which they will place orders for the entire year.

Before the internet, what you described happened -- companies would announce and demo at NAMM and you would not find out about the new products until they showed up in your local music store. Now, companies still sell at NAMM but realize end-customers will find out about these products so they are also effectively advertised to end-customers as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: