Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

European prices: Korg shouldn't wait until Frankfurt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It simply doesn't bother me.

If European prices would come even close to that nonsense pricing, my Kronos interest would immediately be cancelled, and I wouldn't show any more interest in the Kronos for years to come! In this case I would just order a Nord Stage 2 for live play and use software for the rest, and not change my gear for the next years. Simple as that.

Anyway: it has become crystal clear that the OP was more than justified.
Pure price chaos in Europe now, and many people in European forums will already panic and begin their personal search for alternatives, long before the Kronos even gets it's official price in Frankfurt.

A case of bad marketing strategy?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

Definitely.

I'm sad to say but Korg will lose another customer right here, if the prices prove to end up being outrageously ridiculous like they are fanfared right now here in Europe. It's gonna be another fail for Korg regarding sales. This is why they should've announced the price both for USA and EU at the same time...
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
If European prices would come even close to that nonsense pricing, my Kronos interest would immediately be cancelled, and I wouldn't show any more interest in the Kronos for years to come!
+1
No way they see my money. Razz
I actually haven't explored all the features my M3 has, and I just ordered the new version of Sonar that comes with a couple of nice synth engines, too. Wink
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed Music Store Cologne has not just posted the fantasy price: they have placed these offers on order! You can buy (preorder) a Kronos at this overpriced tag there!

Things are really getting out of control, and perhaps time has come for Korg to do something about the European situation. Official order placing at that price isn't exactly promoting Korg's reputation in favor of the new workstation, and this kind of news from one of the biggest German resellers will really spread fast.

Last edited by jimknopf on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
dokido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then i keep my m3, kronos is not that important anyway, it had been fun though
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just calculated that the Music Store tag would mean a more than 80% higher price compared to US-prices!
No tax and no custom duty will come remotely close to justify such prices.

I still don't see a reason for panic reactions, looking at the Frank Sawusch interview (he named an approximate 3000-4000€ price range).

But anyway Korg will probably lose customers, among those no longer waiting for April-May, soon as facing such price tags from big online resellers. European keyboarders will begin looking for something else right away, or at least check other directions soon, and be on the jump to quit the Kronos option.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I just noticed Music Store Cologne has not just posted the fantasy price: they have placed these offers on order! You can buy (preorder) a Kronos at this overpriced tag there!
Music-Service have had the same fantasy prices, but removed their prices from their web-page. Next candidate is now Music-Store. I wasn't aware I live in a banana republic. Really embarrassing! Embarassed
jimknopf wrote:
I just calculated that the Music Store tag would mean a more than 80% higher price compared to US-prices!
We all know what the prices should be, except some european dealers who haven't done their homework yet! I bet music-store will remove their prices during the next days. Laughing
Let's help them a bit:
Do we buy a Kronos 88 at 5000+ EUR? Certainly not!
Do we buy a Kronos 88 at 4000+ EUR? Certainly not!
Do we buy a Kronos 88 at 3800+ EUR? Maybe a few will, but it's not that great revenue for you!
Do we buy a Kronos 88 at under 3500 EUR? That sounds better, let's make the deal!
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case the options are private import or a return ticket to N.Y. Wink 4000 Euro for a 61 workstation, what are they thinking?
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

I'm sad to say but Korg will lose another customer right here, if the prices prove to end up being outrageously ridiculous like they are fanfared right now here in Europe. It's gonna be another fail for Korg regarding sales. This is why they should've announced the price both for USA and EU at the same time...

Don't generalize so quickly, buddy... Smile As I said, this could be a bit "on purpose". It might do bad in Europe, but I'm pretty sure it will do very well in the US. It's a balance.... And yes, we always get the shorter end of the stick here in Europe. That's why I'm seriously considering to move to the US finally...
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
It might do bad in Europe, but I'm pretty sure it will do very well in the US.
Absolutely, this will be the result if they do not re-think their go-to-market strategy in Europe. Korg Europe will fail to deliver the numbers! It looks to me they are unbef...inglievable blind. They see the success of Kronos in the US and project it over the ocean, but forgot the prices.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
It simply doesn't bother me.

If European prices would come even close to that nonsense pricing, my Kronos interest would immediately be cancelled, and I wouldn't show any more interest in the Kronos for years to come! In this case I would just order a Nord Stage 2 for live play and use software for the rest, and not change my gear for the next years. Simple as that.

Anyway: it has become crystal clear that the OP was more than justified.
Pure price chaos in Europe now, and many people in European forums will already panic and begin their personal search for alternatives, long before the Kronos even gets it's official price in Frankfurt.

+1

Except, why look for alternatives? I have been making music up until today with the synths I have - sure it would be nice to have all these features in one box, but at anything more than the US price I prefer to buy a flight ticket, if I'll ever need it that badly... At least some nice holidays, finally. Wink
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
Absolutely, this will be the result if they do not re-think their go-to-market strategy in Europe. Korg Europe will fail to deliver the numbers! It looks to me they are unbef...inglievable blind. They see the success of Kronos in the US and project it over the ocean, but forgot the prices.

Actually, this is a market trend that's been happening for years in the IT industry. And big players don't seem to have a big problem with it. I have a very recent example of MSI on our market - they pretty much don't even try to sell stuff here, but they sell a lot across the border and since it "all falls within the same roof" and the same central office is "in charge" - everything is cool for Taiwan. Because all they're interested in are targets - numbers, profits and revenues. Where, how - they don't really care.

Insane market(ing) strategy. They lost every single one of their distributors and buyers and nobody's even thinking about them anymore. Companies, as politicians, are "moving away from the people", it's like a general movement. And usually things take a turn for the worse and with relationships with some markets broken - whichever the quantity that you used to sell was - it's very hard to get back on the "good" side.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can afford to lose European customers just for the sake of bad announcement timing, just by publishing correct European price tags much too late, who cares, as long as they don't care?

As I said, no problem for me at all. Wink
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Sawusch, Marketing Director of Korg&More Europe, told in an interview that prices between 3000-4000€ are very likely. Therefore I don't think Korg US and European distributors have (much) different transfer prices. I tend to hypothesize that Korg Japan as well as the European distributors are not responsible for these fantasy prices.

The problem is rather with the local dealers. They haven't solved their profit maximization equation yet!

As long as the prices are being perceived as unfair (in relation to US MAP), most musicians won't buy a Kronos. If European Korg Distributers have not negotiated minumum order quantities yet with the local dealers, they are at highest risk to fail completely and they are well-advised to force their customers to not announce any fantasy prices for the Kronos.
Just my view on the game that hasn't changed yet! Very Happy

What does this mean for us, the potential buyers?
We are in the happy position to just lean back and watch this amateurish execution. The best buyers' strategy remains unchanged, as Ozy said: "Let the dust settle." Wink

Last edited by orpheus2006 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Bart S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering an import (USA to Europe): does anyone know, if you'll have to change the power supply (USA: 120V, 60Hz - Germany: 220V, 50Hz)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: