Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Korg release free sample libraries for Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Will Korg release free sample libraries for Kronos? Reply with quote

The most recent sample based instruments, e.g. the Nord Wave/Piano/Stage, Motif XF and KORG KRONOS, hold their samples in flash memory or SSD (which is basically flash memory associated with a controller), which is a great step forward towards ROM held samples because it allows to easily update and extend the 'ROM' waveforms.

I really appreciate the Clavia concept of sample libraries developed for already existing Nord instruments (.npno and .nsmp) and made freely available for dowload. As a matter of fact, the price of the developement of these libraries is included in the buying price of the instrument, but the concept is still very interesting for the buyer (I feel I don't need to explain why...) and for the maker (who can advertise on a certain form of durability (*) for their instruments ; (*) in French I would use the word 'pérennité', but I don't know its exact equivalent in English...)

Btw what I do *not* appreciate at all is that Clavia Nords cannot load sample libraries from a USB storage device *directly*. The Nords are totally computer dependent as far as loading samples in their flash memory is concerned, which is a great shame since in a few years the dedicated software needed to upload the samples into the old instruments will probably not be updated to run on future MS or MAC OSes. I own a 10+ years old Yamaha EX5 with many patch libraries and sample libraries stored on a SCSI JAZ drive that I can upload into my EX5 without using a computer, which I highly appreciate.

But let's go back to Korg talk...

Korg included the EX-USB-PCM01/02/03 sample libraries that were originally projected to be chargeable extras in the M3 Xpanded free upgrade, so can we reasonably expect Korg to release new sample libraries and programs/combis for the Kronos, and make them available on their web site for free download in the future?
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I appreciate your enthusiasm, do not under any circumstance assume that there will any free samples/libraries.

You simply have to read of the promises made regarding the OASYS to find much evidence that a) they won't be free and b) they won't happen as promised.

You will find such evidence in the OASYS section.

You should note VERY carefully, that in none of the hype from Korg regarding the Kronos that there are any planned future updates.

That should be all the information you need. Assume that if nothing is promised, nothing will come.

If it does - it's a bonus. And more luck than OASYS owners got.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how big the library on the Oasys is, but it is promised that the Kronos will have a gigantic sample library built in. That's a good thing though.

To go off topic a tad:
Since you ask for more libraries it could be you're not into programing, I could be wrong though, I don't know you but. I think if you program HD-1 by using the waveforms available, you can achieve so many sounds, and you most possibly will find the one you want. Me personally have a tendency to program the sound I want instead of looking for it, at times it takes shorter time.
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Korg release free sample libraries for Kronos? Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
can we reasonably expect Korg to do this and that for us?

no.

you can't expect anything.

this has been discussed at lenght re the Oasys.

You are not "entitled" to s**t,

except what you get in the box.

Does korg look to you like it's some effing Santa Klaus?

Do they included cute rednosed-reindeer pictures in their menus?

No!

Do you hear jingling bells? Any fat red dressed guy coming?

No-ho-ho-ho!

So stop whining, man up, buy the f*ck*ng kronos and shut up,

will you?

It's better for them if you teach them that life stinks. So they won't be disappointed later... Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned before, you should buy only on the basis of what functionality is present at launch, not on the basis of what you hope might be offered in the future. And if nothing additional is promised, assume that nothing additional is forthcoming.

Clavia is definitely an outlier in this regard, and ought not be held up as an example of what to expect from other manufacturers.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the update history of the OASYS may be being understated here. Updates to the OASYS since the initial release included:

STR-1 physical modeling synth
PolysixEX modeled analog synth
MS-20EX modeled analog synth
MOD-7 VPM, waveshaping, PCM-mangling synth
EXs3 brass and woodwinds (over 700 MB)
Over 1,600 new Programs
Over 780 effects presets
Increased polyphony for AL-1 and STR-1
Chord mode
EXi audio input
AMS Mixer "Gate"
Smoothing for Tone Adjust (for smooth, "analog" feel on the Control Surface knobs & sliders)
Poly unison
Max # of notes
KARMA 2.1, including user GEs
KARMA 2.2, including smoother GE transitions
2 GB RAM support
Load/unload of EXs without restart
Lossless compression of EXs samples
Playback within the Sequencer MIDI Event Edit window
Other small goodies like EXi 1/2 transpose, step sequencer attack/decay smoothing, half damper enable/disable, etc.

The MS-20EX, PolysixEX, MOD-7, and EXs-3 were paid options; all other new features and sounds were free.

I'd certainly still encourage people to buy for what something does today, and not what they think it might do in the future.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and, on a more cheerful note,

remember you could even die tomorrow. Shocked

so why worrying too much about the remote future?

Enjoy life as it is Laughing
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan is right to make the correct situation clear re the OASYS.

I bought my OASYS after most of these things were released.

However, do bear in mind that huge promises were made about the OASYS that have not been made about the Kronos - OASYS was the great 'Open' and futureproof platform. It has only been futureproof as far as the company is concerned - not the user. Yes, we've had upgrades.

But finally, the platform has been de-valued because of the Kronos - same 'stufff' +2 in a cheaper box using cheaper components. Bear in mind they're out to make money, not friends.

All you have to observe is that Dan did NOT say there would be anything for the Kronos; his post only relates to what was delivered for the OASYS.

Yes, Korg, thank you for the upgrades, thank you for de-valueing the OASYS and thank you for confirming that your new 'crown' promises nothing...
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:

All you have to observe is that Dan did NOT say there would be anything for the Kronos; his post only relates to what was delivered for the OASYS.

Absolutely. I'm not able to talk about our future plans. That doesn't mean that we don't have them. Sometimes they come to fruition; sometimes they don't.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Will Korg release free sample libraries for Kronos? Reply with quote

EXer wrote:

The most honest answer would be "maybe".

Based on past history, Korg will probably release some additional sounds (either patches that use the existing samples or new samples) in the future. These may or may not be free, most likely depending on sales.

Most companies provide new sounds to prolong the sales life of the product. If sales are good, the additional sounds may be a paid option. If sales are lower than hoped, the additional sounds may be released for free.

I would not plan nor expect Korg to release any free sounds in the future. If they do, you will be pleasantly surprised.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing MartinHines

It's all business.
If they are going to release sounds for free, their work must be worth the trouble you know. But, Jack Hotop and his team shouldn't be sitting around waiting for the next product before they can make new sounds. He got to make something in between. There is a bit of logic to that.

Let's hope Jack Hotop finally gets dressed up as Santa, to make some sounds with with his fellow elf's (The rest of Korg) for free.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
I think the update history of the OASYS may be being understated here. Updates to the OASYS since the initial release included:......

Best regards,

Dan

Yes and they were all great things, without a doubt, for which I think all Oasys users are very happy about.

But we lost out on the EXf, which was highly promoted compared to all the other things.........

Did the EXf make its way onto the Kronos?
(Yes or no would be nice to hear from you)
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
I'm not able to talk about our future plans. That doesn't mean that we don't have them. Sometimes they come to fruition; sometimes they don't.

memo to myself:

never, ever play poker with Dan.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
I think the update history of the OASYS may be being understated here. Updates to the OASYS since the initial release included:......

Best regards,

Dan

Yes and they were all great things, without a doubt, for which I think all Oasys users are very happy about.

But we lost out on the EXf, which was highly promoted compared to all the other things.........

Did the EXf make its way onto the Kronos?
(Yes or no would be nice to hear from you)

The KRONOS has the same IFX/MFX/TFX effects as the OASYS.

Best regards,

Dan
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
cello wrote:

Absolutely. I'm not able to talk about our future plans. That doesn't mean that we don't have them. Sometimes they come to fruition; sometimes they don't.

Best regards,

Dan

And for what it's worth guys, you won't find a better person than Dan to drive forward and try push for nothing short of the best efforts possible.

he..he... I love threads like this. Can't answer them, can't promise anything, but know $hit loads you can't even mention because things change when needed and promises are dangerous when some people are never happen either way.

Regards
Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: