Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kornos and MOSS options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

I was wondering if Korg Kronos includes the Brass Model
Reed Model, Plucked String Model, and Bowed String Model like the MOSS board? If not, is it possible that Korg will offer them as an expansion?

Here are the moss physical modeling:

Single Size

Standard
Comb Filter
VPM (Variable Phase Moulation)
Resonance
Ring Modulation
Cross Modulation
Sync Modulation
Organ Model
E. Piano Model

Double Size

Brass Model
Reed Model
Plucked String Model
Bowed String Model

KELFAR SOUND LIBRARIES @ Korg Shop
KORG KRONOS SOUND LIBRARIES
Korg M3 World Music Set

Korg M3 and Kronos
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it doesn't. And no, they won't.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

These are all synthesis techniques which will be covered by the various synth engines in KRONOS and OASYS:
ak wrote:
? Comb Filter
VPM (Variable Phase Moulation)
Ring Modulation
Cross Modulation
Sync Modulation

Quote:
Organ Model

This is available from the CX-3 synthesis engine (clonewheel organ modelling)

Quote:
E. Piano Model

Some of this will be covered by EP-1, but also STR-1 (offering excitation string modelling) can handle some of this and more. Also perhaps Mod7 can do some of this.

Quote:
Plucked String Model
Bowed String Model

See STR-1

Quote:
Brass Model
Reed Model

These are missing, but I guess Korg thinks that their sampled instruments in HD-1 and also FM posibilities perhaps with Mod7 can cover this ground. Don't knock the sounds until you try them.

Remember, except for having fun programming, or at least making programming easier, it is the end result which counts, and not the way that the sounds are arrived at. FM and related technologies in Mod7 are very powerful and can produce extremely expressive sounds just as physical modelling is known for. Similarly EP-1 is supposed to have very expressive sounds with no audible switching between layers.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Quote:
Brass Model
Reed Model

These are missing, but I guess Korg thinks that their sampled instruments in HD-1 and also FM posibilities perhaps with Mod7 can cover this ground. Don't knock the sounds until you try them.

I won't knock the sounds, but if only Korg could include something like the Wallander Instrument WIVI... I use them, and it's just incredible how realistic the sound can be... I like WIVI even better than any Eastwest or VSL sample bank!

It takes 350 Mb on the drive, 250 Mb on memory, is very light on CPU and can reproduce all sounds of Reeds, Woodwinds and Brass... What else do we need?

Phil
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Quote:
Brass Model
Reed Model

Seems the OP is right, adding (improved) MOSS technollogy would have made the KRONOS even more complete, its a pitty its not there, but then it leaves room for improvement and expansion.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as MOSS is concerned to me and as far as i understood KRONOS
Technology i am covered Programmingwise...imitating MOSS, Prophecy,
Radias, DX7 and many more things...MOSS will be left far behind...
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

Quote:
Brass Model
Reed Model

Seems the OP is right, adding (improved) MOSS technollogy would have made the KRONOS even more complete, its a pitty its not there, but then it leaves room for improvement and expansion.

I think MOSS is totally cool and I programmed many great patches on it. However, I don't think all of the physical models were very convincing as imitations of their real-life counterparts and probably don't belong on this new instrument in that form. Maybe we'll get some improved models in the future...maybe not. I think the Kronos will keep me busy for some time as it is. Fun to dream about, though.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point of this thread. The Z1 is HOW old? Seriously????
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

ak wrote:
Brass Model Reed Model

They were not as good as fond memories make them look like in retrospect.

they were far better than samples, of course, but I wouldn't buy a 3000 bucks synth for MOSS winds.

IF we are talking about brass and winds.

If we are talking about nicely articulated synthetic sounds responding well to performance, that's another story. prophecy and z1 were very good for that.

But the prophecy saxes and bassoons? God help me.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
I don't see the point of this thread. The Z1 is HOW old? Seriously????

There's a good reason why EXB-MOSS boards are selling for $600 on ebay currently, when they originally sold for $349 new and many were given away for free as a bonus on Tritons. The Z-1 is like having 2 or 3 EXB-MOSS, along with a nice aftertouch keybed and XY Pad.

The Z1 is still relevant because of the MOSS engine, and that's still relevant because Korg hasn't released anything that's clearly superior in every respect. Korg could've solved this problem by making MOSS one of the 9, but they didn't. So we're left trying to figure out if KRONOS indeed can do what a 15 year old synth does. The M3 couldn't, and it's newer.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:

I won't knock the sounds, but if only Korg could include something like the Wallander Instrument WIVI... I use them, and it's just incredible how realistic the sound can be... I like WIVI even better than any Eastwest or VSL sample bank!

It takes 350 Mb on the drive, 250 Mb on memory, is very light on CPU and can reproduce all sounds of Reeds, Woodwinds and Brass... What else do we need?

Phil

Wivi Band - $4.99 in apple appstore. + $229 iPod Touch 4gen.

Blowing away a new workstation without breathcontrol and physical model brass: priceless
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Blowing away a new workstation without breathcontrol and physical model brass: priceless

Indeed. Very Happy
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might wanna update the title to this thread... not sure what a Kornos is.

New Kelloggs cereal maybe Razz

Please forgive me... just having fun.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIVI on the iOS is funny but far from the full version which is amazingly good. I like it even better than any Eastwest, VSL or so...

Phil
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kornos and MOSS options Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
without breathcontrol

yeah, why losing your breath for playing winds and brass?

what about eliminating the keys as well? You'd save on finger fatigue!

A nice mp3 of the Karajan Beethoven will cost even less.

Two earplugs, a cigar... and there you go.

Rolling Eyes

I feel more and more like people HATE to play music.

They just want to PRODUCE it.

Like they want to HAVE it and SHOW it, but they don't like to DO it.

I'd rather PLAY than being played.

The effort is the best part of it.

And: audience can tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: