Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Rack?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:
Slim rack unit with a wireless iPad editor would be pretty amazing.

And in 2 years, when the iPad has become obsolete, your rack will be useless.

No, a rack MUST be a SELF CONTAINED instrument, otherwise it's not worth more than a plug-in.

Where did I say it would require an iPad editor? Have you ever seen a keyboard that uses a cheap LCD screen with many button pushes to access menus and submenus? That could be the interface on the unit itself and the user could have the option of using a full blown graphical interface on the iPad. It seems like a good way to keep costs down and add a great user option. Furthermore the big 2 are already developing iPad editors for some of their instruments.

Obsolete in 2 years? You don't think the editor created today will run on the iPad available in 2 years? I don't think that has happened with any app I have owned.
fingers109

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a Kronos rack today. If they made it. I wont by a Kronos keyboard, four keyboards is enough. I dont have the space.

People say a rack wont sell, this thread proves otherwise. If they bought the rack out at the same time as the keyboard (Which they never have, racks seem to appear a year later) they'd know how well the racks would sell.

How many people bought the keyboard because there's no rack option????

I'm unlikely to ever by another keyboard. But a good rack synth, NO PROBLEM!!!
Sanrek

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I would really like to see this happens too. Why ? Because as the Kronos is the heart of my band live setup, a rack unit would be the perfect backup solution.

And well, I must admit I would have chosen a rack version right away if there was one, as so far my Kronos is a "big rack synth not fitting in my 19" flycase, with a touch screen and a keyboard sticked to it", but used like one noneless.
irtehyar

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose a rack version if the editor/plugin was effective. Wink

As it is, I wouldn't want to sit in front of the rack to do everything for that amount of time.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think developing a rack is only interesting for Korg if an amount of x times 1000 or more are sold, and probably they think otherwise (personally I also think Korg is right int his)

Of course lots of people will buy a Rack version, but I wonder if it will be in the thousands.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rmvieira

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy the rack too for backup for my k88 and actual studio recording use.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a PCI-E version that I can use inside my existing computer.

Oh, wait.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
piggy915

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to bring this thread back...

Roland has I-7 and why Korg doesn't release Kronos_Rack ?
Jakker27

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why others would want it but personally if I felt that way, i'd get the 61key as it's pretty light. I'd rather they continue to develop the Kronos itself. Let's not forget they're just about to release Krome, so there doesn't seem to be any immediate plans for a module. That said, their are other modules out there that will offer something fresh, which is never a bad thing
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my view a rack version of the Kronos wouldn't make much sense, besides providing a backup, which is the best pro argument. But the weight and price of a Kronos 61 wouldn't make such a big difference for serving as backup for pro bands, and it would be much better suited for that purpose, because else you would need an additional master keyboard PLUS a lot of tricky controller routing to get the same result.

The whole Kronos surface is built around the OS in a way no rack provides. And instead of buying a Kronos rack in addition to any number of outdated keyboards, it makes MUCH more sense to buy a Kronos with the proper controller field and kick off some of the then redundant or obsolete stuff.

At the moment, the Kronos is the one synth that is the most powerful by far, in any keyboard setup, and it should be the natural gear center piece. No rack needed for that, So I think this thread proves nothing, besides wishful thinking of some who would love to get all the Kronos sound possibilities at a price point several hundred $ below the 61. I understand this wish, but still think it doesn't make too much sense with something like the Kronos, which is no simple preset device, but a full blown multi-engine synth.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same 50 people ask for a rack version even while Korg says there will not be a rack.
Laughing
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would enjoy a rack version so I could prepare sounds in my studio and not lug the 88 upstairs in its flight case. I've considered a 61 for this, but it's still expensive and I don't really need more keybeds in the studio either.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland just released a new synth rack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AowGClPDT0k

It sounds pretty awesome too! (Hope I don't get a ban for saying that here Laughing)

Looks like Roland still sees a market for hardware rack synths...
Jakker27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Roland and others it makes perfect sense to make racks because they're not then in direct competition with Korg. It's a niche market and one where other competitors can benefit because obviously there's a market there. The chances are if you have too many keyboards to fit in a room, you've got too many keyboards full stop lol. The 61 keys is quite light. It would be nice and certainly interesting to see how it would be designed (a rack), but I think that's as far as it goes unfortunately. Us dreaming
tux2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a Kronos rack immediately if it was available, but as it stands I have to do without a Kronos as I have absolutely no space for another keyboard.

So I'm another potential Korg customer that is not buying Kronos because there is no rack version.

I wonder how much money Korg is losing out on by not offering a rack?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: