Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Rack?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TagPass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
TagPass wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a "Kronos Expander" that would be nothing *but* the touchscreen. More like a tablet PC about the thickness of a standard textbook, but with an appropriate ergonomic angle. Ahh, to dream.

nope, that's plain wrong IMHO.

Open your kronos when you get it, and see if its electronic content can be reduced the size of a tablet!

It's got a fan within, man...

You'd reduce it to the size of a BURNING tablet.

No, it would probably need to be a chunky module.

I'm a music guy, not a computer tech or engineer, so my fantasy gear doesn't need to be realistic or concerned with heat dispersion and all that stuff. That's for the guys above my paygrade to figure out Wink

Still, I'm pretty sure that, if there were a market for it, or in the future, the technology of the OASYS a few years back or the Kronos today could/will be reduced to occupy the sort of device I'm imagining.

Since I already own an OASYS, and my studio space is intentionally small and compact, I'm not interested in any of the keyboarded Kronoses (Kronii?) at the moment, but if I wanted to double or extend the power of my OASYS, I'd be looking towards both the most space-efficient and cost-efficient means of doing so.

I also sometimes speculate what I'd do with the money if I ever won the lottery, but I don't need to be told that the odds of me winning it are nearly insurmountable. I know that. That's why it's called a "fantasy".
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
you can keep piling on more gear.Its your call

this forum is an odd place.

For 20 days I have been scolded because I won't buy the New Gear and because I "cling to old synths" and "can't understand the New Era".

Now I am scolded because I "want to pile up gear".

In the meantime I have not bought or sold anything, I've just made my consideration about the opportunity of replacing three old modules with a new module.

Last time I added to my setup, was two years ago.

But everybody seems to know better.

All this is terribly amusing. Rolling Eyes

TagPass wrote:
I also sometimes speculate what I'd do with the money if I ever won the lottery, but I don't need to be told that the odds of me winning it are nearly insurmountable. I know that. That's why it's called a "fantasy".

I read you loud and clear

Beer
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
GregC wrote:
you can keep piling on more gear.Its your call

this forum is an odd place.

For 20 days I have been scolded because I won't buy the New Gear and because I "cling to old synths" and "can't understand the New Era".

Now I am scolded because I "want to pile up gear".

In the meantime I have not bought or sold anything, I've just made my consideration about the opportunity of replacing three old modules with a new module.

Last time I added to my setup, was two years ago.

But everybody seems to know better.

All this is terribly amusing. Rolling Eyes

I think you are a little sensitive. Maybe in 5 or 6 months , you might change
your mind some.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Maybe in 5 or 6 months , you might change
your mind some.

which means...

... adding stuff, or removing stuff?

Buying the Kronos, or not buying it?

I will certainly change my mind in 6 months. I expect I will change it several times DURING the 6 months. On many subjects.

But at least I follow the rules of logics even when changing my mind, and keep a coherent line of thought.

Which can't be said about your posts.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
GregC wrote:
Maybe in 5 or 6 months , you might change
your mind some.

which means...

... adding stuff, or removing stuff?

Buying the Kronos, or not buying it?

I will certainly change my mind in 6 months. I expect I will change it several times DURING the 6 months. On many subjects.

But at least I follow the rules of logics even when changing my mind, and keep a coherent line of thought.

Which can't be said about your posts.

looks like you have enjoyed the attention

good luck to you
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
looks like you have enjoyed the attention

yes. It was very constructive and factual Thumbs Up
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
please, KORG, whenever you release a rackmount Kronos, make a self contained instrument!
I mean an instrument like the Triton Rack which had real time controllers and which could be fully edited from its own panel. Even better, keep a large touch screen like Roland did with their V-Synth XT.

A Kronos rack should definitely look like this:

Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. If the V-Synth does it, no reason it couldn't be done with the Kronos.

I have no idea as to how many units you'd have to shift to make a profit on a rack, but I would imagine the development costs are nowhere near those of the keyboard since it's just a matter of reorganising the layout.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@EXer: Can't be that way... There's physically no room to mount the screen as close to the knobs, sides, buttons, etc...

Then... what about the most important thing: Karma, with faders and buttons. The M3M does have faders and stuff, that makes it usable.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's gonna happen...
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EXer wrote:
please, KORG, whenever you release a rackmount Kronos, make a self contained instrument!
I mean an instrument like the Triton Rack which had real time controllers and which could be fully edited from its own panel. Even better, keep a large touch screen like Roland did with their V-Synth XT.

A Kronos rack should definitely look like this: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2372/kronosr.jpg

Works for me!
ozy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
@EXer: Can't be that way... There's physically no room to mount the screen as close to the knobs, sides, buttons, etc...

Then... what about the most important thing: Karma, with faders and buttons. The M3M does have faders and stuff, that makes it usable.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's gonna happen...

Dunno you guys,

but when performing I have my hands both constantly on the black&whites.

It's ok to worry about the "sliders vs faders" for karma,

but do we want tke Kronos's sound engines, or do we want to fiddle with Karma?

I think that:

a) those who program deeply the Karma will use a computer

b) those who care about sound and performance don't really spend much time with 26 faders.

If they've got 26 rotaries, they won't be so unhappy.

remember: I am not speaking for everybody, I am just speaking of people (me included) who asked for a module.

They are supposed to be people who already got plenty of controllers, and just want the sounds.

Eg: I play the wavestation "vectors" using two pedals!

Of course, those who think of the Kronos as their PERFORMANCE keyboard (lunatics Wink who "play" the karma LIVE Confused ),

will choose the keyboard versions with its faders.

But they are not entitled to even take part in this discussion Twisted Evil

People who strum guitars with a fader... come on... subhumans... Twisted Evil
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:

but when performing I have my hands both constantly on the black&whites.
It's ok to worry about the "sliders vs faders" for karma,
but do we want tke Kronos's sound engines, or do we want to fiddle with Karma?
I think that:
a) those who program deeply the Karma will use a computer
b) those who care about sound and performance don't really spend much time with 26 faders.

While I would mostly agree in general, I have to say that - for live use - OASYS's control surface is... how should I put this. The best control surface ever to be implemented on a keyboard.

While playing live, I tend to fiddle a lot with my sounds, if nothing else, then I use it to change volumes of some sounds in a combi. It's very useful as there are huge variations in "overall sound power" when you take a look at different amps, speakers, room sizes and heights, and various other things. It's quite easy to notice that a Piano+Pad sound that worked yesterday in a large space with a high ceiling doesn't work well in a space which is not so high.

Not to mention the fact that I use it _a lot_ in a similar way but with different intention - to bring up sounds as the song progresses. For example, listen to Pointer Sisters' song "Jump". When they go to bridge and then chorus, there's this string-type sound that's becoming louder and louder and on the verse before it isn't there. Then the control surface is just _perfect_ to do these kinds of manipulations. Although there's a number of ways to achieve that, even without the string sound.

To each one his own, I know. I love keyboards that have good and thought-of control surface. OASYS is just perfect in that way.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ozy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
While I would mostly agree in general, I have to say that - for live use - OASYS's control surface is... how should I put this. The best control surface ever to be implemented on a keyboard.

read again my post.

I said "this is not about keyboard vs rack: those who want a keyboard will like and need plenty of controllers. But those who choose a rack will be people less inclined to need spacious faders, pads, and the like, because they obviously think their controlling keys and surfaces are the best".

Whoever doesn't think so... will buy a Kronos keyboard (or keep their Oasys).

This thread I about those who'd rather buy a rack.

The same happened with the VL-1: one hell of a controller with huge screen for the time, aftertouch fine-tuning, and three mod wheel plus double pedals:

well, the rack version had much less, and sold as much as the keyboard, if not even more.

It was a totally performace-oriented synth,

and yet the rack commands today the same 2nd hand price as the keyboard, because it can be controlled perfectly through midi and is less fragile.

(And less ugly, with the keyboard's fake wood and quasi-gold surfaces: Join me in shouting: KITSCH!!! Rolling Eyes )

Same goes for the wavestation: the joystick can be easily simulated by two midi sliders, and a used SR is worth as musch as a keyboard-ex. The module has NO x/y device, and yet everybody uses the vectorial synthessi in the SR.

According to me, DIFFERENT people go for the rack

and THEM, they are less picky about on-tack controls.

THOSE who think like you, will always go for the keyboard.

If you were offered a Oasys rack, you wouldn't trade the keyboard for the rack.

Am I wrong?
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was answering the part of your post where you say that people who care about performance and sound won't fiddle with controls. Which isn't necessarily right. Also, I said that I'm with you for the most part. Do a better job reading Razz
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ozy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
you say that people who care about performance and sound won't fiddle with controls. Which isn't necessarily right.

Worse, saying that woudl be totally wrong, not just "not necessarily right".

I may have expressed myself badly.

People who care about performance work on controls [you tell me; I'd die without pedals, aftertouch], but don't work much on the RACK's controls. That was the point.

They trust their masterkeyboard, pedals, etc.

The whole discussion is about: how many sliders and faders to put on the Kronos rack. Are they all necessary to "rack people"?

I'd say: no need for everything to be there.

(BTW: yes, ok, ok: I may have said that people who fiddle with karma while playing live in order to get guitars strums and automated riffs out of their keyboard are wankers.

I may have said that, indeed. Guilty Embarassed . Worse: unrepentant Wink ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: