Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions about the pianos in KRONOS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Some questions about the pianos in KRONOS Reply with quote

1) Does KRONOS, particularly its piano engines (SGX1 & EP1), employ release-velocity (key-off-velocity)?
I have been thinking a lot about what would be the most reasonable way of building a rig around KRONOS. For my purposes it seems like the best solution would be to go with a weighted 88 key controller as lower manual and a KRONOS-61 sitting on top of it. The lower keyboard would of course be MIDIed to the KRONOS, so I could play piano-sounds down there. Now in case the pianos in KRONOS would in fact take advantage of release-velocity, the other keyboard should obviously also be able to send these values. However, since boards which actually do this are kind of rare, I wonder if that is necessary at all?
(Ideally, I would like to go on using my trusted MP5 for this purpose, but this does not send key-off-velocity via MIDI)

2) From what I've heard, the new SGX1 pianos are already sampled with stretch tuning applied. Is it still possible to modify the tuning towards equal temperament? (Might be needed in certain situations.)
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even my old Korg X5D sent MIDI release velocity through its MIDI ports. It wasn't even listed in the MIDI specification, so it came as a nice surprise. I bet every Korg does the same.
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Even my old Korg X5D sent MIDI release velocity through its MIDI ports. It wasn't even listed in the MIDI specification, so it came as a nice surprise. I bet every Korg does the same.

Maybe I should clarify my question. I am not asking whether KRONOS can send key-off-velocity, but rather if it's sound engines would benefit from receiving such MIDI-data from an external device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: