Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My G.A.S. is cured temporarily while I'm waiting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: My G.A.S. is cured temporarily while I'm waiting Reply with quote

Whew.. thought I was gonna have to wait till April or May to cure my intense case of G.A.S. For anyone that doesn't know what that is.. Gear Acquisition Syndrom.

While waiting for my Kronos 88, I happened to get another NAMM 2011 announced item. The M-Audio Venom. What a nice addon to my arsenal of keyboards.

Remember the Casio CZ series? They were very unique and inexpensive back then. Now they're a vintage synth that people want to get their hands on. I believe that the Venom is gonna be one of those synths that will be remembered for many years to come.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)

Last edited by EnjoyRC on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: My G.A.S. is cured temporarily while I'm waiting Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
I believe that the Venom is gonna be one of those synths that will be remembered for many years to come.

Tell us more, more! I have to say, it kinda looked like the sort of product that would disappear in 18 months without anyone noticing...
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: My G.A.S. is cured temporarily while I'm waiting Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:
Tell us more, more! I have to say, it kinda looked like the sort of product that would disappear in 18 months without anyone noticing...

It has that unique sound, kinda like the way Virus Ti's have their unique unmistakable sound. The Venom will have it's place in the mix. Venom is not just cloning old analog synths, but draws on their desirable sound and then completely tweaks um. Refreshing....

robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venom seems to have the gritty aggressive sound, according to the demos. The software looks very good and gives you alot to work with think. I hope the polyphony stays unchanged no matter what you do, because it's very limited. Smile

The synth it self looks like a toy though. I hate that. :S
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one at Guitar Center last week and I wasn't impressed with it. Maybe it's just the presets but it just sounded little and buzzy to me.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My G.A.S. is cured temporarily while I'm waiting Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Whew.. thought I was gonna have to wait till April or May to cure my intense case of G.A.S. For anyone that doesn't know what that is.. Gear Acquisition Syndrom.

While waiting for my Kronos 88, I happened to get another NAMM 2011 announced item. The M-Audio Venom. What a nice addon to my arsenal of keyboards.

Remember the Casio CZ series? They were very unique and inexpensive back then. Now they're a vintage synth that people want to get their hands on. I believe that the Venom is gonna be one of those synths that will be remembered for many years to come.

Where'd you find one? Do they have it at GC?
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My G.A.S. is cured temporarily while I'm waiting Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
Where'd you find one? Do they have it at GC?

Sweetwater.. you won't believe their price... Smile

jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to his own.

Yes, the Venom has some nice electronica basses, but it's overall sound, especially in the high ranges, is a pure load of bad plastic in a negative way in my ears. It's not even agressive in a positive way, it's just cheap-sick.

In comparison the old "da da da" Casiotone sounds come like pure vintage fun to my ears. But I'm a lover of either warm analog or really clear and BIG digital sounds and I hate "small plastic" sounds from the digital trash can.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I'm with jimknopf. It had that cheap/junk factor. I've found cheap Casio and Yamaha keyboards in thrift shops I'd take over this thing...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Each to his own.

Xactly!

CfNorENa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
But I'm a lover of either warm analog or really clear and BIG digital sounds and I hate "small plastic" sounds from the digital trash can.

I think you just found your new signature. Laughing
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My G.A.S. is cured temporarily while I'm waiting Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:
I believe that the Venom is gonna be one of those synths that will be remembered for many years to come.

Akai Miniak, anyone?
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one as well....I got it as a small controller but I actually like the sounds alot...12 voice polyphony isn't bad if you record the sound direct when sequencing with other sounds....I'm not ready to sell mine just yet Very Happy
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonMusic wrote:
I just got one as well....I got it as a small controller but I actually like the sounds alot...12 voice polyphony isn't bad if you record the sound direct when sequencing with other sounds....I'm not ready to sell mine just yet Very Happy

I think it easily finds it's place in the mix. With a unique sound.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: