Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need for larger velocity scales, 0-128 to small
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this whole thread is plain ridiculous.

I doubt that any of you really needs more than 128 velocity steps on electronic keyboards, and as Ozy pointed out, you are probably not even able of conscious constant use of small ranges within the present limitation.

I have problems with velocity jumps from sampled instruments, when there are just 2-4 velocities sampled, but certainly not with 128 steps within the overall dynamic range.

So from my view: if we have no more serious problems than the OP, then we are really doing fine! Smile
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
To me this whole thread is plain ridiculous.

I doubt that any of you really needs more than 128 velocity steps on electronic keyboards, and as Ozy pointed out, you are probably not even able of conscious constant use of small ranges within the present limitation.

I have problems with velocity jumps from sampled instruments, when there are just 2-4 velocities sampled, but certainly not with 128 steps within the overall dynamic range.

So from my view: if we have no more serious problems than the OP, then we are really doing fine! Smile

A good point, but it depends what you mean by 'electronic' keyboard. Emulating a Mellotron needs different keyboard action and resolution than the emulation of a fine Steinway (or Fazzioli) piano on an excellent piece of hardware like - say - the new Kronos (which I'm very keen on, by the way).

Sample jumps are a different matter. Do not neglect the timbral changes between samples and the programming of filters and envelope generators. It all should be working in a seamless integration - which they, in most cases known to me, are not.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between the loudest and faintest sounds that humans can hear is about 120 dB, a range of one-million in amplitude. Listeners can detect a change in loudness when the signal is altered by about 1 dB (a 12% change in amplitude). In other words, there are only about 120 levels of loudness that can be perceived from the faintest whisper to the loudest thunder. The sensitivity of the ear is amazing; when listening to very weak sounds, the ear drum vibrates less than the diameter of a single molecule!

Musical instruments have no where near a 120db amplitude range.

Busch.
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once my point has been taken,

I must remark that it contained a proviso:

CURVES are often UGLY.

jemkeys25's complaint was off the mark when he complained about keys in terms of 128th fractions,

but it's true that the human hand and ear can detect the difference between a p and a ppp,

while some keyboard curves are STEPPED in ugly terms (0/30 otputting 0, next 30/33 otputting 25, next 34/64 outputting 63, next 65/90 outputting 70, next 90/120 outputting 100, next... nothing, some levels totally missing!)

This is one of the less analyzed details in electronic keyboard instruments.

Very few synth manual publish a detailed chart [with values, not just fancy drawings] of the curves (tested at the output, not "presumed"). That should be among the specifications.

When I asked Dave Smith for the chart of the prophet08's key velocity curves, the answer was

"no idea, had to ajust to the funny response of the chinese keybed, different from octave to octave. Try adjusting by ear".

All of this is mosr often chalked up to "subjective feeling".

"try the XXX keys. If you like, it's good for you". Yeah, right: next you buy synth YYY, module version,, connect it to the midi out, and half the nuances you'd heard in the keyboard version are gone.

I went crazy matching VL70m's programming with various master keys.

"Subjective" my ass - pardon my French.

If a keybed can't output velocities from 120 to 127, but will output 120 when I hit 85, that's a bad keyboard.

My point was that "128 steps are theoretically enough", not that "all keybeds are equally responsive and faithful to the musicians' intent"
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

128 levels is enough.

Velocity curves are f***ed up for the most part.

</thread>
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
128 levels is enough.
Velocity curves are f***ed up for the most part.

Hear hear, +1000. So true, and so freakin' awful.... Now, user-generated velocity curves would be a big help....

As would una corda and sostenuto pedals for piano-type sounds.. which brings us back to the discussion about per-progam and per-combi pedal assignment... hmm Smile circling around Smile this seems redundant Smile

A bit offtopic but - a couple of months ago I was finishing a production for this song of mine that uses only piano and acoustic guitars (and has a string-orchestra at the end, but that's irrelevant now). For piano, I used EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos Bosendorfer sample and had two major problems (I'll forget all about the shitty PLAY for second). First - OASYS's velocity curves were perfectly unsuitable to playing that piano and - even bigger problem - playing pedalled-type soft piano or pianissimo was... challenging to say the least. It's absolutely not the same to play with low velocity and with a middle or left pedal. It took me quite a bit of tweaking to get close to the sound I wanted to get. Which I would get in three seconds sitting at the piano 5m away (which would be a problem to mic, of course)...

I sincerely hope that new pianos in KRONOS either have or will have something to adress these issues as they're pretty common and well-known.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say 128 is enough evil draggon, well lets make it 1280 and say thats enough,or 12800, or 128000, the greater the resolution, the greater the variation in sound produced. make the highest velocity to a point that humans couldn't physically reach, that the instrument would respond more precisly to our individual playing. If you've ever played a 9' concert grand piano then you know what i mean. an acoutic piano doesn't have 128 levels of velocity. it is mathimatically infinite, you can always add a decimal place. It's not the sounds, the sounds are incredible, it's our controll over them. like Stephan Kay said it best" we're using 20-25 year old midi V1.0(I think it's closer to thirty years). at a resolution of 128, velocties are bing rounded to the closest whole number. play a note at say a velocity of 90.4, it gets rounded to 90, almost a half step difference from actual velocity, thats quite a difference in nuance lost. my playing is tied into my hearing, and i know what i want to hear, when i want louder i play harder, but the keyboard doesn't give it to me because i've already reached 128.

we dont know why it sounds different, it just does, know more than we can identify individual velocity values.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
The difference between the loudest and faintest sounds that humans can hear is about 120 dB, a range of one-million in amplitude. Listeners can detect a change in loudness when the signal is altered by about 1 dB (a 12% change in amplitude). In other words, there are only about 120 levels of loudness that can be perceived from the faintest whisper to the loudest thunder. The sensitivity of the ear is amazing; when listening to very weak sounds, the ear drum vibrates less than the diameter of a single molecule!

Musical instruments have no where near a 120db amplitude range.

Great points. No further discussion needed. 128 levels are enough. Velocity curves is what needs to be improved. jemkeys25 - you don't need to go above 127, you need to be able to make your own custom velocity curve, and adjust the programs to respond to that curve accordingly.

It is actually really surprising how a lot of keybeds actually lack precision in the 0-48 MIDI velocity range. I noticed it in almost all synths I've tried. It's appalling. So, if we could shift the velocity curve so that it's more sensitive in the lower range, while the higher range is expanded and "harder to get", I think we have a solution for jemkeys25's problem - wide dynamic range with more precision and no need to go above 127. Because there's really no need for more than that.

Last edited by EvilDragon on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note about with respect to user-programmable velocity curves (this applies to any MIDI velocity source, not just Kronos...)

With the current resolution of MIDI velocities of 127 values, where:

1 - 127 = usable range
0 = note off

...any curve that someone develops that's anything other than linear will result in fewer degrees of resolution. That's not to say that such a curve couldn't be used to make a very satisfactory playing-feel; just pointing out that whenever you take a fixed number of values and apply your own curve, you will, out of necessity, reduce the number of available velocity values.

Ultimately, how much change in loudness occurs within the range of 1 - 127 is not a function of MIDI velocity at all. Rather, it's a function of how any particular instrument or sound is set to react to that range of values. Dynamic range comes from a combination of velocity-->volume modulation as well as velocity-->filter modulation. And if the amount of modulation of one or both are set too high, the dynamic range of the instrument might be too difficult to play fluidly.

Sure, there are times when having more than 127 values for velocity would be nice to achieve more subtle nuances. But there are other ways to achieve those nuances, such as riding the volume on the track to be a little louder or softer. Or, playing the real instruments instead of the samples. To that effect:

Let's say that someone produced a piano with 127 individual samples of every key, one sample to suit each available velocity value. There's bound to be someone who's going to complain that, say, middle D at a value of 86 is just a tiny tiny bit too bright for their liking, and low A at a value of 120 has a harmonic that bothers them AND is about .25689234 dB too loud...

And real instruments aren't exactly a walk in the park either; there's no such thing as the perfect (say) piano where no strings buzz, where all of the trichords beat perfectly at every interval, where the pedal doesn't klunk, etc.

I'm sure that HD MIDI will be a cool thing. But for now, it doesn't seem to me that the world of professional musicians making music on MIDI instruments is terribly bothered by having "only" 127 degrees of velocity control on MIDI instruments. If that were the case the entire industry of musical instrument technology would have fallen flat on its face decades ago.
mrk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
whenever you take a fixed number of values and apply your own curve, you will, out of necessity, reduce the number of available velocity values

But if the keybed would be able to distinguish e.g. 1270 different velocity levels then a curve and a given dB-range could be used to fit those onto the 127 MIDI values. So one would be very free in how to set the dynamic range one would want.

(Whether this would improve anything is another matter Wink)

just for info: As for the keyboard response, I just put the sequencer on my board to record and tried to play as fine grained as I can from quiet to loud. It's no big deal to hit almost every velocity between 1-40 and 105-127, but in between I seem to be too "jumpy".
[/quote]
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrk wrote:
But if the keybed would be able to distinguish e.g. 1270 different velocity levels then a curve and a given dB-range could be used to fit those onto the 127 MIDI values. So one would be very free in how to set the dynamic range one would want.

(Whether this would improve anything is another matter Wink)

Exactly! Could be yet another case of "be careful what you wish for" Laughing

Just a fine point however... velocity resolution does not define dynamic range. You could have 1,000,000 points of velocity resolution and still that would not define dynamic range. Example:

Imagine that you have a digital instrument (sampler, synth, whatever) where its amplifier section has an available range of 128 dB. Then, you have a controller which outputs 1280 degrees of velocity (simple numbers, for example only). In order for each velocity to have relevance, the design of the amplifier needs to be capable of changing the volume in .1 degree increments --- one per velocity value. (And that's not to say that this kind of 1:1 pairing of a velocity value to a .1 dB increase would be even remotely musical or natural-sounding). That said...

A 128 dB dynamic range is probably too wide to make that instrument playable and musical, whereas a dynamic range of 90 dB might be much better. So in programming this sound you have to change the ratio of velocity--->volume modulation within the instrument. So you'll be squeezing the range of the incoming, 1280 velocity values in order to modulate 90 dB of volume rather than 128 dB. At that point, some of those fine degrees of velocity will be rendered meaningless.

Flip the scenario: you leave the velocity--->volume modulation depth at maximum in the instrument (128 dB) and instead, alter the 1280-step velocity map so that it outputs a maximum value of, say, 960, so that you achieve the equivalent and more playable dynamic range of 90 dB. Per my point in my post above, by necessity you will reduce the resolution of the velocity values by "squashing' the velocity curve.
mrk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as the OP already said, velocity is just an example. I therefore have to agree the 128 levels can be quite restricting. I think in one of the Kronos demo videos I heard RichF explaining that they interpolate the control changes for e.g. AL-1 so you have a smooth transition.

I guess for control changes a finer resolution couldn't hurt. Especially for controls changing some basics of an analog sound. Velocity might not be it, but I think there are some areas where more resolution would be very welcome. Wouldn't you agree?
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely!
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrk wrote:
But as the OP already said, velocity is just an example. I therefore have to agree the 128 levels can be quite restricting. I think in one of the Kronos demo videos I heard RichF explaining that they interpolate the control changes for e.g. AL-1 so you have a smooth transition.

I guess for control changes a finer resolution couldn't hurt. Especially for controls changing some basics of an analog sound. Velocity might not be it, but I think there are some areas where more resolution would be very welcome. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm not sure what your point is in saying that "velocity is just an example" in response to what I wrote.

Regarding interpolation and what RichF said, control changes and velocity are two very different things and can't be compared. The effect of control changes can be interpolated as the transition is made from one value to the next. However, velocity is a "one shot deal": once you play a note and its velocity value is transmitted, you're done. Game over. Velocity cannot be re-transmitted at another value unless you re-strike the note. So you can't equate control change with velocity, as the former is expected to output sequential values relative to a change in position, and the latter simply doesn't operate in that fashion.

I agree that there are areas where having finer resolution would be great. But then there's the practical side of having all that resolution, which I wrote about in my post above.
mrk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you. I just meant that the OP (I think) wanted more resolution in some areas and "accidentally" picked velocity as just an example. Unfortunately velocity is a way more difficult topic than just allowing ten times the number of steps on the modwheel.

That's why my "answer" to your post was kinda "offtopic", because I just agreed. Just thought OP's example choice was a little unlucky, but in common he's also right. Would be nice to have more levels on some controls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: