Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking after our OASYS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Looking after our OASYS Reply with quote

Given that I have a mild stroke at the very thought of my O breaking down, I'm wondering what you all think is 'best-practice' for looking after our precious O's.

For example - dust cover - good idea, bad idea?

Another example - I keep my O switched on permanently. Logic being the hard disk does less work switched on than it does starting up/powering down and as I use it every day I guess I'm saving on hard disk wear and tear.

And another - servicing. I am fearful of sending my O by carrier all the way to Milton Keynes from Glasgow (700+ mile round trip - plus don't have original packing; box, yes, foam bits, no). I feel it exposes the O to more danger than if it sits in my studio

Cleaning - what's best to use?

plus any other useful bits of advice please! Cool

Really, truly can't bear the thought of an O failure so want to do all I can to prevent it Shocked
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dust cover = I use a nicely soft washed cloth, thats been washed without harsh detergents and rinsed well. Gets washed every now and then.
This prevents obviously, dust, but also other sticky things from the air, such as peeled skin floating around e.t.c.

Switched on permanently, Stephen Kay does this too as far as I recall.
I advise against this however, as all electronic components that are being used will result in failure at some time.
Especially the electrolyte capacitors on the mainboard.
Your harddisk is probably the least of your concerns, I suspect Korg put in an industrial grade (not consumer grade) HD.
Spin up&down on a Harddisk dosen't wear&tear on it anymore, than in a state of actually reading/writing to the disk.
Honestly, if your HD fails, then this is the least of your concerns.

Servicing:
1) You can get a moving company to ship it for you.
2) You can ask a furniture company for extra foam - you say you have the box already.
3)If its out of warranty, then just make sure its more or less a Korg authorized repair center, as they know what they're doing, have the service manuals e.t.c.

Keep it dry. Living along the coast can raise humidity/salty air e.t.c.

Once in a while, open up the hood and vacuum away some dust if this managed to get through the filters on the sides.
Keep dust off the internal fan, this is whats used to keep everything inside at operational temperature levels.

Inspect once in a blue moon, the soldering on the electronic parts, sometimes oxidation can occur, if there is not enough flux used during the soldering process. You might need a handheld microscope for this.

Finally, its not an "engine" as in a car, you don't have to take it for 100miles to keep the engine running smoothly, therefore, turn it off when not in use.
Contrary to popular myth, spikes in electrical signals, occurs when you turn off, not on. You just notice something is wrong when you turn it on the next time.
SoulBe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I advise

- dust cover
- USV to avoid electric strokes, brownouts etc.
- for cleaning I use stuff that is made for computer tft
- alway play with warm hands (just joking Cool )

best regards
SoulBe
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I forgot about cleaning:

Use, if you must, mild dishwasher detergent (not what you put into machine washers - but that hand wash liquid 'stuff')

Never use harsh cleaners, such as solvents, spirits, petrol e.t.c.

Don't be a fool and use a pen Surprised on the touch screen! Use your fingers, try to avoid a stylus as with time, tapping the same places will invariably produce marks on the surface.

Kick the cat out the studio too whilst you at it.

Same goes for kids, useless money thieving hang-on's that you're stuck with for the rest of your life, cause all sorts of crap, never say thanks and of course your hand hurts after smacking them across the room, thus making it harder to play the O Smile
(Yes this part just a joke!)
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft Bristle Paintbrush to remove dust.(great for getting into those nooks and crannys or around knobs/sliders etc)

Periodically clean with a Hoover(with the soft bristle attachment) and damp cloth to remove soilings.

Screen-babywipes and soft cloth to dry(also works wonders for removing finger grease off keys)...

As for keeping gear on.....even though I have spike protection both on the plugs and the main supply,never would keep them on permanently,and always isolate the power supply in the studio during storms,the gear is on more or less for the best part of 8 or so hours daily anyway.

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking after our OASYS Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Really, truly can't bear the thought of an O failure so want to do all I can to prevent it Shocked

May I say something REALLY seriously and REALLY in a friendly manner?

The last time I was so anxious about a piece of gear, it happened maybe 10/11 years ago.

I came to the point of DREAMING it had failed minutes before a show, and I couldn't do the show without it. I was lost. Couldn't play without those sounds.

The day after I frantically went shopping for spare parts, looking for them on the web, talking to friends, etc.

For some weeks fear of losing that gear poisoned my joy of making music.

And I am not an easily frightened person.

Know what?

After a friend told me something wise, I dismissed the gear.

Something was really wrong about my obsession with its possible failure. It had nothing to do with the real importance of that piece of gear.

(After 4 or 5 years I suddendly realized what that fear was about. Believe me, it was not anything I could have solved by cleaning a synth control panel).

After that time, I never again put all my resources in one piece of gear.

If some pieces of my gear should fail today, I'd be pissed. For some I have spare parts.

But ANY of them I can replace for a month with something else. while I send them for repair.

And I CAN send them for repair, with obvious precaution.

I am not afraid of moving them.

I am not afraid of gigging live.

I take care, I use power surge protection, I clean, I have insurance, I have robust racks and stands, but I don't give DANGERS more than a passing thought once in a while.

Think about it.

[this is not about the Oasys, I am not telling you should sell it, I am just saying: give my story a thought]
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - great responses; thanks guys! Cool

It seems I'll have to change my routine re keeping my gear on permanently...

@ ozy - you have words of wisdom to and I see entirely where you're coming from! Yes, I admit it is probably foolish, perhaps even childish to cherish one bit of kit so much. It's just I waited a long time to get the O and have spent so many hours getting to learn the machine and create new sounds. So I've got kind of attached - kind of like with a wife... you don't just trade her in because she gets ill! Wink

But I guess my failure scenario is to get a Kronos - at least my hours of sound work won't be wasted (as is usable in K) but the O, well, is beautifully unique! (There I go again... Rolling Eyes )

But yes, your story has been read, makes sense and is worth bearing in mind, so thanks for your input!
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or maybe you could just buy another oasys for spare.

or two. Wink
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty uptight about my gear as well.
When my equipment is not in use, I keep it powered off and there's always a dust-cover on my stuff when I'm not playing it.

I also keep one of those dry swiffer dusters around and give it a once over just before putting the dust covers back on.

Hedegaard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyFoo wrote:

You mean psychopathic?
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
CrazyFoo wrote:

You mean psychopathic?

I suppose if the shoe fits I'll wear them,it just costs so much money to own good gear, I just want to take care of it and make it last.

Guilty as charged your honor Very Happy
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set. Essential and... er... elegant.

Have a couple of questions:

Where do you place the bats' cage?

And the Sacrifice Altar?

I think having the Altar on the side of the Pentacle helps, especially in gigs where the Virgins make a lot of noise.

Finally: I'd cover the white label on the right-hand top keyboard.

Too much white can make a setup a bit... you know... too cheerful
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyFoo wrote:
When my equipment is not in use, I keep it powered off and there's always a dust-cover on my stuff when I'm not playing it.

I also keep one of those dry swiffer dusters around and give it a once over just before putting the dust covers back on.

What a beautiful sight! Thanks for cover gear name ( www.digitaldeckcovers.com ) - just ordered one for the O! Cool
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
CrazyFoo wrote:

What a beautiful sight! Thanks for cover gear name ( www.digitaldeckcovers.com ) - just ordered one for the O! Cool

Aha! A fellow Oasys owner who is just as fussy as myself, I knew I was not alone Smile

You will be very happy with your new cover, the ones in my photo are the double sided quilted option.
Also, if you ask Courtney, she will actually embroider "Korg Oasys" onto the cover for you. She has done this for me and it's very helpful when I grab a cover because I know instantly which keyboard it's for.

Best Regards
AJ
Jupiter 80
Moog Voyager Select Series: Solar Edition
Roland SH-5
CrazyFoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Nice set. Essential and... er... elegant.

Have a couple of questions:

Where do you place the bats' cage?

And the Sacrifice Altar?

I think having the Altar on the side of the Pentacle helps, especially in gigs where the Virgins make a lot of noise.

Finally: I'd cover the white label on the right-hand top keyboard.

Too much white can make a setup a bit... you know... too cheerful

All my cash is in gear, I can't afford virgins, LOL
Sounds Good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: