Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DAW Integration questions (for Dan, Rich or Jerry)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't get some kind of detailed, positive response from Korg before the pre-order period expires with Sweetwater and others, they're going to lose some sales (well, this one anyway) over this.

They've been very quick to respond in other threads about everything under the sun and the kitchen sink. I don't know whether to take their silence on this issue as a sign they're still working on it and hope to have some (hopefully good) news for us, or that there is no good news so they're shying away completely.

Any kind of an answer would be terrific. Heck "we're working on something, look for an answer here in a couple weeks" would be just fine.

~M
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, look in the first post, Dan did already replied.

My comment was a wish Wink

Phil
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjames4208 wrote:
MIDI has nothing to do with JITTER!
jitter is about audio in the digital domain i.e digital audio converters.
remember how CD players sounded back in the early 80... bright and harsh?
that is jitter...

"Jitter" isn't a term exclusive to audio. And regarding MIDI, it's inherently jittery. Think about this...

MIDI is a serial protocol. That means that if you play more than one note simultaneously, say, the note messages have to follow down a "pipeline" where one message follows behind the other. When those messages hit the destination (synth, plugin, etc.), those notes play as a very fast arpeggio. That's one form of jitter. There are others as well that are much more serious.

Having said that, when working on both the Oasys and the Kronos, I put them through their paces by using them as multi-timbral sound modules reading massively busy data streams (including MIDI clock) from Logic (Unitor 8 interface) via one MIDI cable. Talk about ridiculously tight timing, even under the circumstances! It's really stunningly good in that respect alone.
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
Michael, look in the first post, Dan did already replied.

My comment was a wish Wink

Phil

I saw that (though I just noticed the word "VST" last night - very hopeful).
But since this is new for Korg, and is the primary reason for my switching (I already have an OASYS), I really needed more info, a demo video, something to know what I'm buying.

I'm blessed to have quite a healthy studio budget this Spring, but that doesn't mean I want to be wasteful. I'm reconsidering everything, researching the life out of every considered purchase, looking for options I'd not considered...Everything. Already making some changes and possibly reconsidering some items (like Maschine). Just want to be sure the additions fit into style, workflow and needs.

Thanks!
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha! Same here regarding budget... there's currently lot of new things on the wish list...

I do love Maschine vey much, there's still few missing, but it's coming good Smile

I'm also curious to play with Spark from Arturia, Tempest from DSI and The Beat Thang from BeatKlangz (if it ever happen one day).

Phil
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg have been quite in this thread. Could it be that the software isn't ready yet? Maby they are watching the forums for ideas?

My Idea... Learn from Access and their total integration system. It would make me very happy!
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
Gotcha! Same here regarding budget... there's currently lot of new things on the wish list...
Phil

My most difficult decision right now is regarding my primary softsynth.
It was a forgone conclusion that I was going to buy Komplete 7 (and Maschine), then I found Omnisphere. HOLY CRAP that thing's impressive...

robinkle wrote:
Korg have been quite in this thread. Could it be that the software isn't ready yet? Maby they are watching the forums for ideas?

My Idea... Learn from Access and their total integration system. It would make me very happy!

X100,000,000,000

Very Happy
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do think than for the NAMM, all stuff such Manual, documentation, drivers, plugin and stuff weren't still ready.

Drivers did show up lately and we know Dan (and other guys) are working on manual... so I'm sure we'll get more news when the plugin will be ready.

I agree with you guys Korg should learn from Access for the total Integration (including RTAS to get Kronos sounds directly in ProTools projects).

Phil
Gary Chambers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be a 64 bit OSX AU plugin available for Kronos DAW integration at about the time it hits the marketplace? I'm using Logic Pro 9 booted into the 64 bit Kernel - enough quality 64 bit AU's available now ...and I'm not going back to using 32bit or using the Logic bridge...
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Kronos VST? Reply with quote

Hi Dan or Rich quick simple question

I have an oasys and I have a virus snow ti

My oasys can not act as a vst as my virus snow can Sad

I will buy the Kronos if it allows me to use it as a vst in the same way as the virus ti does in example play the sounds from my daw along with my other vsts such as omnisphere, trillion etc...
My daw is sonar 8.5

I want to use Kronos as a ti type vst in concert with my other vsts in real time
Will this be possible?

Yes or no
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Please respond Reply with quote

Will Kronos work as a vst in my sonar producer 8.5?
Yes or no?
Please respond
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the information released about the Kronos so far, I think it is reasonable to assume the Kronos plug-in will work similarly to the Korg M3 editor/plugin, when a person has the M3-FW option.

With the M3-FW, the M3 transmits audio and midi data over a single FW connection. With the Kronos, it will transmit audio and midi data over a single USB 2.0 connection.

If you don't have an M3, I would suggest downloading the M3 Editor manual, which has a number of screenshots.

Given what I undertand about both the M3-plugin and the Virus TI (based on Michael B's commnents), I am assuiming the Kronos will not have quite as tight an integration as the TI.

To my knowledge, Korg never produced a video demoing the M3 editor/plugin, so I would not hold my breath waiting for one about the Kronos.
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, you've posted this before, but I have a question for you.
Was the M3 editor considered "a VST"?
If not, they're NOT going to be the same.
The Kronos will likely be more integrated than the M3, just remains to see to what extent.

Elvis, I know it's hard, but repeatedly posting in a demanding manner probably isn't going to help the cause. Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M3 has a 'VST', 'RTAS', and 'AU' plugin editor, which sends MIDI (SYSEX) data to configure the M3. Theoretically, the configuration can be saved with the project just like any other VST instrument when you make tweaks to it.

Many people had problems when using the software editor, however when it does work then it is just like having your M3 settings saved and editable (and thus automatable too) in the instrument rack in your DAW. Also due to the korg structure of programs, combis, and songs, its not always a straightforward as you'd like to think with regards to editing programs. Its just the same as working from the M3's itself really so no miracles there. Again the main advantage would be that you could store the project Sequencer setup or combi setup with the DAW project.

You can only have one instance open but you can send multiple MIDI channels/tracks to it, provided that your host supports this kind of multitimbral plugin.

On the M3 the plugin itself does not take any sound across, unless you have the firewire expansion. USB connection provided MIDI only although USB MIDI is faster than traditional MIDI or Firewire MIDI so is great for working multitimbrally.
This is where KRONOS is different because it streams the master L/R mix over USB. The M3's firewire expansion on the other hand whilst again buggy for some people, I think offered at least six channels of audio (?).

I haven't personally used either. This is just the sum of my knowledge and observation of the technologies and my experience with Korg's hardware in general.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: