Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sample and Sample Editing Tools I need in Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jahrome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Motif XF, I am talking about its ability to burn 2 GB of your own samples to Flash Ram to immediately have at your finger tips when you turn on the unit. Of course it takes time to burn the sounds and a limit to how you can edit the sounds. But the Kronos doesn't appear to have anything to match this as far as user sampling in concerned. From its specs and what has been reported in the forum, we can't stream our own samples from the SSD. Hence the reason for the feature requests before it is even released. Whether the feature set of OS 1.0 (or what ever it is called) is finalized or not bares no importance in this thread. This is not some new request. If you read across numerous internet forums, you will see numerous threads about users wanting this capabilities in current and previous sampling workstations. As I said previously, these companies keep getting close but still come up short. As consumers, we should let companies know exactly what we want. The company then will decide if it is profitable enough to meet this demand.

And you know what's next....support for larger SSD's and streaming of 3rd party libraries (Kontakt, etc). Shocked Razz
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather do all the sampling, sample editing, and key assigment on my computer, I don't care about having those functions in the Kronos itself, I would just like a really easy way to load them in from computer.

I don't need to sample live at a gig. At home, using a computer is easier; plus if I do the sample stuff on a computer, I'm not limited to only using my samples in the Kronos, I can use them in any other sample-loading machine I may have now or in the future.

I'd rather Korg put their development hours and efforts into things that can't just as easily be done some other way.

Last edited by Scott on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
streaming of 3rd party libraries (Kontakt, etc). Shocked Razz

This won't happen - the structure of Kontakt instruments is vastly different than what HD-1 can offer.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of sampling tools I would like to see included:

¤ ability to load and to play samples in .npno and .nsmp format Arrow
djtomy.d1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+10 Very Happy

just not so sure for Clavia Wink
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ac pianos and eps on the Kronos don't sound vastly better than a Nord I'll be shocked, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Can't you hear the split points, velocity jumps and static tone from the loops in those Nord EPs? To each his own.

Busch.

Last edited by burningbusch on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree on some points:

Even if HD-1 is different from Kontakt, nothing's impossible and Korg could easily release a HD-2 which is different from HD-1 and allows to load Kontakt Libraries with streaming from SSD. There's already 9 different EXi, so it's more than doable to have another one... and HD-1 will be still needed for current sounds.

Having Clavia sounds, or Kurzweil VAST synthesis is an utopia... I wish manufactures would work more together, but we know it won't happen. But NI isn't a keyboard manufacture and is providing Kontakt Player to 3rd party. So, this player could be coded for Kronos OS. We saw lot of partnership between hardware and software manufactures, so it's not an utopia.

Of course, we can have a Sample Editor on computer... but in that case, we can also have Sequencer, so no need to include it... and no need to include the sampler at all neither, and since we can also have DX7 sounds with FM8 or so, no need to allow the VPM to import DX7 presets neither, etc...etc... It's not because it's doable on a computer than Korg shouldn't include it in next Kronos update. I mainly think about easy and quick workflow for both studio work but also for live with some realtime editing with some loop sampler or so...

The Kronos needs to be a tool that is not a computer, I agree... and having a quick way to sample your current combi (with Open Sampling), edit it, add some FX and save it to re-use it as a Prog... that's something no computer will do with the Kronos... or at least, not in an easy and quick way.

For instance, Maschine from NI is very practical to quickly record, edit, chop and use sample...

Korg pronounce clearly that the Kronos is made for three markets:
- Live Performance
- Production (Workstation)
- Sound Design

For Sound Design, they do provide some tools with great Editable Synthesis... So, it's 200% normal to request them to have equivalent tools for Sampling and Sample Editing which is another part of the sound design.

It's not like requesting innovative features never made. It's just a matter of bringing back on Workstation the real Sampler features that have been forgotten for so long time on all last decade Workstations.

Phil
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Oh god not Nord. To each his own, but to me that stuff is low grade dog food.

This is a very rude assumption and I have to strongly disagree.

The Nord Piano with its sample libraries is an excellent digital piano as far as the sound is concerned (I don't like its Fatar keyboard action which imo is way inferior to the Roland PHA II/III kb action of the RD700s, but that's not the point of this dicussion).

Of course, if you're looking for differences in sound between keygroups and velocity layers you'll find them, as you will with all sample based digital pianos, but on the Nord Piano these differences are very subtle and you really have to listen carefully to hear them. I have played this keyboard, and the pianos sounded very natural to my ears during the attack, the sustained part and the release of the sound.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
I have to disagree on some points:

Even if HD-1 is different from Kontakt, nothing's impossible and Korg could easily release a HD-2 which is different from HD-1 and allows to load Kontakt Libraries with streaming from SSD. There's already 9 different EXi, so it's more than doable to have another one... and HD-1 will be still needed for current sounds.

Having Clavia sounds, or Kurzweil VAST synthesis is an utopia... I wish manufactures would work more together, but we know it won't happen. But NI isn't a keyboard manufacture and is providing Kontakt Player to 3rd party. So, this player could be coded for Kronos OS. We saw lot of partnership between hardware and software manufactures, so it's not an utopia.

Stop dreaming, it won't happen. What do you think, that NI would so easily hand over their code for Kontakt to Korg? THAT WON'T EVER HAPPEN. I have a bit more idea about what's happening at NI than you, since I'm in KSP scripting business, and have already done work for Cinesamples, Zero-G, Sonokinetic and Hollow Sun. Kontakt format won't ever be loadable on a Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Kurzweil or Nord.

But, if you have the dough, you can always get yourself Open Labs Neko or whatever. Laughing
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Open Labs R&D for 4+ years... I think I do know a little bit more than you could think. However, I agree it will surely won't happen... but for other reasons...

But you know what? Let me ask Daniel (NI's CEO) and James (NI's Senior Product Designer) when I'll saw them at MusikMesse...

Phil
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:

This is a very rude assumption and I have to strongly disagree.

The Nord Piano with its sample libraries is an excellent digital piano as far as the sound is concerned (I don't like its Fatar keyboard action which imo is way inferior to the Roland PHA II/III kb action of the RD700s, but that's not the point of this dicussion).

Of course, if you're looking for differences in sound between keygroups and velocity layers you'll find them, as you will with all sample based digital pianos, but on the Nord Piano these differences are very subtle and you really have to listen carefully to hear them. I have played this keyboard, and the pianos sounded very natural to my ears during the attack, the sustained part and the release of the sound.

OK the dog food comment was over the top. IMO, Nord makes very pragmatic gigging instruments but I'm not interested in loading my Kronos with Nord, Kurzweil, Yamaha or Roland samples. All of these sounds are heavily compromised in order for them to fit within the confines of limited ROM/RAM. The big leap the Kronos provides is moving away from compromised sounds. That's what interests me.

Below is a video of one of the standard NAMM demos but the quality, though still from the camera, is much better than most I've heard previously. The acoustic and EPs sound excellent. The EPs in particular have excellent tone and you get a real sense of their expressiveness. And with the EPs there are no velocity jumps so it's completely linear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j97e7vupPKU&feature=related

Busch.
jahrome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I'd rather do all the sampling, sample editing, and key assigment on my computer, I don't care about having those functions in the Kronos itself, I would just like a really easy way to load them in from computer.

I don't need to sample live at a gig. At home, using a computer is easier; plus if I do the sample stuff on a computer, I'm not limited to only using my samples in the Kronos, I can use them in any other sample-loading machine I may have now or in the future.

I'd rather Korg put their development hours and efforts into things that can't just as easily be done some other way.

With your thought process, we should not buy Kronos at all since you can accomplish nearly everything that a keyboard workstation does easily on a computer. But no thanks. I personally buy hardware workstations to get away from a computer. I have yet to find dedicated software that is easier to use than the onboard sampling and editing capabilities of a hardware workstation (keyboard and mouse...no thanks).

I seriously doubt Korg would "dumb down" the OS of the Kronos so it is a lesser sampler than the M3 and Triton Studio or other leading workstations from other manufacturers. The "Open Sampling System" is a key feature of Korg Workstations. Further advancement to this system is a plus in my book thus the reason why I started this thread (another plug for using SSD instead of RAM for sample recording, editing, and playback).
sani

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
I have yet to find dedicated software that is easier to use than the onboard sampling and editing capabilities of a hardware workstation (keyboard and mouse...no thanks).

jahrome,
while I understand your wishes regarding sampling, here I have to disagree with you completely. Editing samples on a computer and on any workstation is like night and day. Refusing a keyboard and a mouse is your right, but by doing so you are just limiting yourself for some principal reasons.
When it comes to editing samples, absolutely any wave editor is easier to use. First, there is the screen size. I guess most of us have displays about 20" of size or even bigger. You simply see more of the sample and with a much greater resolution. Absolutely not comparable to any workstation display. Zooming in/out, normalizing, changing bit rate or sample resolution, cutting silent parts, changing gain, all that stuff is done within seconds on any software editor thanks to the mouse and especially if you use shortcuts. For example, I use a shortcut for applying a fade on a sample in my wave editor. I simply select with the mouse a part of the sample on the start or at the end and hit ctrl + F. There is no way to convince me that this process is faster on a workstation.
Also, finding suitable loop points, setting loop points: it's the same. I zoom in by using softkeys and my mouse, drag over a part of the sample, hit ctrl + L and the loop is set. If there are clicks or pops, I zoom further in, adjust the loop start and end point to mach the zero point, listen to the loop again, if there are still some pops, I apply crossfade loop and often the process of finding and setting a proper loop doesnt' require more than a minute (for an experienced user).

Let's make it short: easier is not what you learn to handle in 5 or 10 minutes. It's better to invest a couple of days if needed to learn how to proper use a wave editor and after that, it's not only much easier to work with samples, it's also much faster.
jahrome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sani wrote:
jahrome wrote:
I have yet to find dedicated software that is easier to use than the onboard sampling and editing capabilities of a hardware workstation (keyboard and mouse...no thanks).

jahrome,
while I understand your wishes regarding sampling, here I have to disagree with you completely. Editing samples on a computer and on any workstation is like night and day. Refusing a keyboard and a mouse is your right, but by doing so you are just limiting yourself for some principal reasons.
When it comes to editing samples, absolutely any wave editor is easier to use. First, there is the screen size. I guess most of us have displays about 20" of size or even bigger. You simply see more of the sample and with a much greater resolution. Absolutely not comparable to any workstation display. Zooming in/out, normalizing, changing bit rate or sample resolution, cutting silent parts, changing gain, all that stuff is done within seconds on any software editor thanks to the mouse and especially if you use shortcuts. For example, I use a shortcut for applying a fade on a sample in my wave editor. I simply select with the mouse a part of the sample on the start or at the end and hit ctrl + F. There is no way to convince me that this process is faster on a workstation.
Also, finding suitable loop points, setting loop points: it's the same. I zoom in by using softkeys and my mouse, drag over a part of the sample, hit ctrl + L and the loop is set. If there are clicks or pops, I zoom further in, adjust the loop start and end point to mach the zero point, listen to the loop again, if there are still some pops, I apply crossfade loop and often the process of finding and setting a proper loop doesnt' require more than a minute (for an experienced user).

Let's make it short: easier is not what you learn to handle in 5 or 10 minutes. It's better to invest a couple of days if needed to learn how to proper use a wave editor and after that, it's not only much easier to work with samples, it's also much faster.

It's ok to disagree. As I disagree with you. I own Wave Lab...but hate it. There is just nothing that duplicates what I get when using hardware. Everything you have written about (zooming, normalizing, changing bit rate/sample resolution, etc) takes seconds on a hardware workstation. I have never once thought that any of the workstations I have ever used needed to be faster at doing these chores. I think you should take 5-10 minutes to learn how to use the editing on your hardware workstation (curious to know which workstation you are using with cumbersome sample editing). It will take no longer than that. Bottom line, I am not trying to convince you of anything. You will certainly never convince me to use computer software, a keyboard, and a mouse to edit samples to import to my hardware workstation. I am fine doing it completely onboard with a jog shuttle wheel, cursor keys, sliders, knobs, etc.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reason I'm not overly interested in workstation-based sample editing. Just using a few of the auto functions in Redmatica KeyMap can save hours of manual editing.

http://www.redmatica.com/movies/Quadrasmooth.mov

Busch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: